Tech Preview Stability - what's your experience?

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Tech preview installed on a VM for the past couple weeks and it's performed great. As it was a VM, I've literally only used it for testing purposes to check for fatal system crashes, etc. The more days that go by with people not complaining about much, the more confident I feel about installing the tech preview on my main desktop. I'm perfectly comfy with betas, I've used every single one of them since the win 9x days so I'm way used to rough edges and unexpected problems here and there. However, since we're mid semester - I teach at a state university - I don't want to have to suddenly be forced to reinstall win8 from scratch or an image, it's just time consuming and I have stuff to grade.

So, what's your experience with the tech preview installed on actual hardware? Have you seen much in the way of system crashes? I don't mind other annoyances, it's the crashes that I'm really trying to avoid. Depending on what you guys share I will update my 8.1.1 installation or wait for the consumer preview which will be much better well rounded.

So, how stable has Win10TP been for you on actual, real hardware?

lawalhu

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It freezes alot on my hp laptop 💻 mini, most especially when it heats up, and it heats up within less tan 30 minutes of operation since after the installation of the OS. It's again not stable; it wobbles alot. I hardly accomplish any task apart from typing a few paragraphs since the installation. Of not for these draw backs, kit world have been a remarkable progress....... Though this is just a technical preview..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Dell Venue 8 Pro -

I am surprised how stable this is for a Tech Preview! That said, I had my first freezeup yesterday. Did a reset with the side power button and everything was rockin again.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
It's been very stable for me. Never experienced a crash or freeze up at all. I have it I stalled on my gaming PC as my main OS, I did so the day it was released. It runs great.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Had a few Driver issues but nothing major. So far runs buttery smooth on my HP17.

I will say that one issue I have had but hasn't been a hindrance is trying to select long lengths of text . Sometimes the selection will just stop as if I've quit dragging.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
test every single app you'd possibly use in your vm first. I'm an Enterprise user and have found 3 application incompatibilities vs Win 8.1; this being said, I continue to run Win 10 on my production system in a VM, but installed it bare metal on my ElitePad tablet without significant issue. Primary annoyance is that Explorer is laggy. Other features and the opportunity to pre-alpha test mean so much more. For ?our use case, keep running a VM or try Hyper-V. This is the earliest preview MS has ever done, it's pre-beta, so you may well have to reimage at the drop of a pin, or roll back with a wonky patch

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I installed Windows 10 on a virtual machine and gave it 4 cores, 4 gigs of ram and 256mb of graphic memory. It runs pretty damn stable. The only issue I have is with Age Of Empires Castle siege. It could be the app itself but when I start it up, it pegs all four cores at 90% until I close the program or minimize the window. I can also hear my cpu fan kick in to high gear accordingly.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Extremely stable on separate partition, but I have a self built gaming desktop, so more than enough power to run it smoothly.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my work machine from 8.1 Enterprise and so far it has been rock solid. I like the windowed metro apps as they looked ridiculous on my 22" monitor. Have not done my SP3 or Dell Venue yet as I am waiting for the touch side to improve.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I ended up installing it on my main desktop and so far, rock solid. I did find that a) Nvidia Shadowplay crashes if I try to record my desktop activity and b) the Hulu app doesn't resize video after snapped to a side. Other than that, Office, Photoshop, IE, etc work perfectly fine - if anything, IE seems a lot faster than my experience on win8.1.1.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
A couple of other things..

1) When I put the tablet to sleep, the display keeps waking up and then going back to sleep

2) When using my BT Mouse, I cannot activate the left hand (desktop) or right hand (charms) functions; I have to use my finger for that.

3) No snaps - but doesn't surprise me - I don't think the Dell V8 has the minimum resolution anyway for that feature.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I've used it for at least two full days, running on a .vhdx drive that I boot into, so the disk is virtualized but everything else isn't (64-bit, 16GB of RAM). So far, it's great. Been able to run Visual Studio, SQL Server, IE, Skype, LINQPad, Outlook, Word, Chrome, a Windows 2012 R2 server in Hyper-v (hosting a CRM server) with no issues at all. I get a weird icon in the Taskbar for the music app every now and then but no major crashes, slow-downs or freezes of the system as a whole.

The only thing that scares me, and for no real reason other than paranoia, is that my OneDrive account is set up on it, too. My fear is that it somehow screws up my OneDrive files (which includes 60+ GB of music). But, it hasn't hurt anything and I'm just being paranoid.

In short, pretty darn rock solid.

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been testing it on a 2011 Macbook Air (dual-boot with Bootcamp) and it has been running reliably. No driver issues and has been stability issues so far. I've been impressed with its performance so far.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As someone who was in the business for a long time, I would not advise running 10 on your "main" computer even if it is stable, today. You never know what the next version may bring, it may be a lot of grief.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As someone who was in the business for a long time, I would not advise running 10 on your "main" computer even if it is stable, today. You never know what the next version may bring, it may be a lot of grief.

Agreed 100% (same here been doing IT work for over 20 years now). This runs good so far but, odd ball issues could cause havoc for some people. I even found a few apps that run in 7/8.1 that will not even run under Windows 10 and drivers are a mess if you have a funky non standard display (like in laptops) or a low end video card (no name, not ATI or Nvidia).

Even found a case where sleep does not work right, it's the sleep of death on my primary desktop, it will go to sleep but, it will sort of wake up but, no video. Triple booting with 8 and 8.1, no problems with sleep with them.

Nice OS, love the Start menu, and the layout, not ready for prime time yet...

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the Tech Preview on a few machines for a bit. It was rock solid on all of them, but would not install as an upgrade on my HP 23-N010 AIO desktop. I'm sure it was some driver or some such in that W8.1 installation it didn't like but could never pin it down.

Installed as a virgin in a dual-boot situation, got the audio drivers from HP and all was good.

Used it for quite a few days and found everything worked and was stable, but some oddities in some apps made me go back to W8.1 on all machines.

The two biggest things that made me switch back were:

IE - no modern version and I really like that and use it on a daily basis.

NewsgroupsRT - usenet client = When typing with auto-wrap enabled the cursor would jump to the beginning of the post as it wrapped. Very irritating and just made it untolerable.

I'll revisit when the touch/modern UI support is more fully supported most likely.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6