Dual Booting Windows 10 Installing Issue [with pictures] Please Help!!!!

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not 100% sure how, or why you have so many partitions (I assume this is on a Surface Pro?).

But I created a separate 64GB partition on my 500GB HDD in my current laptop. Of the 64GB, I only had about 38GB free after install. In fact, I now only have 30.8GB free out of the 63.9GB.

I would suggest booting back into your default OS and trying to combine some of those extra partitions. Once combined, just format it with system defaults so that it shows up as an Unallocated Space partition when trying in install Win10.

Not sure you will enjoy the limited storage you will have on both though since it looks like that HDD is pretty small.

If it is a Surface Pro, and if it were me, I would do a factory reset (after backing up your data obviously) the recreate the separate partion splitting it in half with your main partition. Then install Win10 on that newly created one.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If you are using a thumb drive to install Windows 10, you will need to create an EFI bootable version of the Windows 10 TP installation media.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Not 100% sure how, or why you have so many partitions (I assume this is on a Surface Pro?).

But I created a separate 64GB partition on my 500GB HDD in my current laptop. Of the 64GB, I only had about 38GB free after install. In fact, I now only have 30.8GB free out of the 63.9GB.

I would suggest booting back into your default OS and trying to combine some of those extra partitions. Once combined, just format it with system defaults so that it shows up as an Unallocated Space partition when trying in install Win10.

Not sure you will enjoy the limited storage you will have on both though since it looks like that HDD is pretty small.

If it is a Surface Pro, and if it were me, I would do a factory reset (after backing up your data obviously) the recreate the separate partion splitting it in half with your main partition. Then install Win10 on that newly created one.

I have an ultrabook (ASUS UX303LA) and I use a 2TB external hard drive for all my media and such. I'm not sure how I got so many partitions as well.

I've actually never have done a dual boot before. Yes, I know that I shouldn't be doing this then. But I like to experiment with software and I have always done that type of stuff just not this exactly
I just followed How to Dual Boot Windows 10 Preview with Windows 7 or 8 to the tee.

Thanks so much for your help. Since this thread I downloaded a VMware and ran it off that but it's so slow and laggy.

i'll report back here if i have more questions

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Glad I could help. Sorry for the late reply, but I assume you got it up and running?

When I set my dual boot up on my system, it was my first attempt as well. I'm just glad that it went smooth for me and has been nice being able to switch back and forth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa