Replacing windows 8.1 by 10

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have decided to install windows 10 tech preview over windows 8.1.

It is speculated that windows 8.1 users will get final version of windows 10 for free, will I also get it for free then? I have option of installing on separate partition, but it wont be possible as the disk space on other partitions is full..

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's something you're not considering here (well, more than one thing maybe).

The cost of the upgrade from Win 8.x to 10 might be free, but there's nothing so far to state that it'll be possible to upgrade the technical preview edition of Windows 10 to Windows 10 retail. There might be a need to remove the preview before installing the new version.

Also, there might be a point at which the preview version may have a dramatic bug or entirely stop working on your machine, which will necessitate a full reinstall.

The tech preview of Win 10 isn't the same as the developer preview of Windows Phone 8. Win 10 is nowhere near being consumer ready or stable enough to be considered a primary Windows install. You're placing a fair amount of trust in assumptions of stability.

iainberryman

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
If you're installing on a touch device I would highly recommend sticking with 8.1. I installed on my SP3 and whilst it worked yes, losing functions like swiping to close apps is quite annoying. These features will come in later versions but as you probably know, this build is aimed at normal desktops and non-touch devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos