Multiple Desktops Question

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm a bit unclear as to whether this feature means what I am kind of hoping it can do. See, my wife and I share a PC, and prior to Windows 8 we didn't have separate logins, or logins at all; we just turned it on an went. Shared libraries, etc. With windows 8 and the MS login, now we have separate desktops as it were (I know you can do local, but that would be a hassle for the modern apps), and I want to know if the multiple desktops will emulate how we now use 8. What I mean is, will we be able to switch desktops and have them each be "ours" like now, without having to log out or switch user, instead just switching the desktops. I hope that makes sense, I find it hard to word what I'm getting at. Thanks for any help!

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
No. It does not work that way. If wish you separate your stuff from your wife's in the fashion you describe, multiple accounts will still be your best solution.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Got it....so we can't switch between two desktops and say, have one be mine, and one be hers. That's cool, I'm just personally having a hard time seeing how I would find this feature useful. Good for those that do though. Thanks!

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
No, you wouldn't be able to isolate the desktops and individualize them.

The feature is useful for people who are multitasking. Say I was working on multiple projects at once. I could separate each project to a desktop and have present on that desktop only the resources required for that project. This way, when I'm switching between projects, it's easier to remember what goes where.

Of course, the most common example is separating work related resources and personal resources that are open at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz