Do I need Windows 8.1 to upgrade to WIndows 10?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I ask because
A. I have been curious about Windows 10
B. I am having trouble getting back to Windows 8.1(for whatever reason) as I stated here in this thread
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/319320-cant-upgrade-windows-8-1-a.html#post2830727

I know you can do it in a VM but I was wondering do I actually need Windows 8.1 or can I just bypass it as I try to upgrade to Windows 10? I also wonder will I run into the same issues as I am facing now trying to upgrade back to Windows 8.1(Failure Configuring Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer."

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 will be released as an OS some time next year.

What is available at the moment is a developers preview for people who know what they are doing to test it before release, in particular it is for users who are in the enterprise market so people who didn't like the touchscreen, although there are many touchscreen features already in it.

Bob

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
If you're having trouble with win 8.1, windows 10 won't solve anything. It's feature incomplete and is a developer and Enterprise test bed, as mentioned above. A complete reinstall of win 8.1 may do better for you. I've gone from win 8.1 to 10 on a surface pro 3 and a dell xps 15, and while it's running fine over a solid win 8.1 install base, there are some issues, freezes, driver issues etc. It's pre release. Not there to fix anything.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
That's what I figured. Sigh......i wish I knew what the issue was installing windows 8.1 was though

Support.Microsoft.com/kb/949358

Read that. Should revert back after a period of time - I've read it can look frozen for three hours and then magically restart (read this on tom's hardware).

I'd try the upgrade again or else fully reinstall the os. And make sure you remove any usb devices, unless the os is on a flash drive. Good luck ;)

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If you want to update to Windows 8.1 you have to reset (like a did) which was a nightmare and took a full day of upgrades and installation, of course Windows 8.1 is worth the wait. :)

PS. Reset is an option that is available in the settings menu IT WILL DELETE your data and apps make BACK UPS.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Do I need Windows 8.1 to upgrade to WIndows 10?

Absolutely not. You will be able to clean install Windows 10 on any system.
Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.x users will be able to update directly through Windows update, although I discourage this because you always get better performance by clean installing vs updating

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss