Is it okay to upgrade to 10 Tech preview from 8.1 RTM

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I have some doubts any users here upgraded their primary os with 10 tech preview..Is it okay for daily use ? Should I reinstall the os when comsumer preview hits or can i just upgrade from tech preview...
Share your experience of Windows 10 Tech Preview as primary OS and it will help me decide to upgrade or wait for consumer preview..

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
With a tech preview you could possibly run into issues. I'd wait until the consumer preview (if there is one) or just wait until official release.

If you're installing on your main computer you could end up losing data or other issues.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As has been said repeatedly, the W10 TP is not intended for use on a system that needs to be reliable/stable/safe. If you don't know how to keep all your data 100% safe at all times, even in the face of your OS becoming completely unusable or it corrupting all local storage media, you shouldn't be using it. W10 TP is for experimental setups only.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
It has already been announced that there will also be a Developer Preview. W10 is just too incomplete and a wild card so far.

By the time it launches, it may just as well look completely different. There is just no point in using W10 as your daily driver now.

Maybe at Release Preview.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am using Windows 10 as my daily driver and it is stable enough. (I am on the slow update ring, though).

My system is not mission critical it anything, and I have backups, but the system itself is OK.

It is true that it has been said not to do this, but I am not the only one using it exclusively as my main OS.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am using Windows 10 as my daily driver and it is stable enough. (I am on the slow update ring, though).

My system is not mission critical it anything, and I have backups, but the system itself is OK.

It is true that it has been said not to do this, but I am not the only one using it exclusively as my main OS.

Just because you and other people are doing this does not mean it is suitable for everyone. Which is the point a5cent and I were making.

If you're are at all unsure you shouldn't do it. It's really that simple.

As a veteran tech person myself I am reluctant to do it simply because I only have one computer and I don't want anything to go wrong. I know what it's like when you lose something. Even though I'm pretty good with backups.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I have got my answer from Richard Culverhouse..i asked this question to confirm whether there are people using windows 10 tech preview as their primary OS..
My question is intended to those who installed windows 10 Tech preview as their primary OS...
Thanks to all..

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I did not upgrade but I wiped out the Windows 8.1 on my Acer S3 and Windows 10 TP is running on it. It is used for development with Visual Studio 2013 and SQL Data Tools.
Sent from my Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Me thinks we will soon hear from someone that loaded Win 10 on the only computer he or she has and now it has crashed and lost data that was very important. I agree with many others here. Only load on a secondary computer and only do so if you are a computer GEEK that knows how to recover from crashes.

Read my signature.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have got my answer from Richard Culverhouse..i asked this question to confirm whether there are people using windows 10 tech preview as their primary OS..
My question is intended to those who installed windows 10 Tech preview as their primary OS...
Thanks to all..

But heed the advice of the others as well... Only do it if you know the possible risks and are prepared to recover if it all goes tits-up lol

Nicholas Lovan

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm using it on my primary driver, the only thing I'm regretting is that Sony Vegas Pro 13 seems to be incompatible with Tech Preview as of the second build. Clicking OK on the Render As dialog will cause the entire application to crash.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I'm very curious in trying it out but my SP3 runs so well that I'm still a little chicken.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

jropelato1

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I installed, figured it wasn't ready for prime time on my surface pro 3 (fans would NOT stop running and battery was about 1% drain every 70 seconds). I've gone back to 8.1, but now none of my microsoft apps work (store, calendar). They ask me to log in and then say that log in failed. Anyone have any ideas?

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I installed, figured it wasn't ready for prime time on my surface pro 3 (fans would NOT stop running and battery was about 1% drain every 70 seconds). I've gone back to 8.1, but now none of my microsoft apps work (store, calendar). They ask me to log in and then say that log in failed. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe a reset? Or restore a previous backup?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
When Windows 8 was in preview (granted it was the Consumer Preview), I installed it on my main computer. I never ran into a problem, though I will grant that it is indeed possible for that to happen. I have the Tech Preview and overall running very well on my main machine. I have backups though, but enjoy trying out the new OS.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm running it on my Acer S3 and Surface Pro, development and primary computers. Oh wait, my Surface RT is the primary.

Regardless, I've not experience any showstopper. Just a few "wish it would be like this" here and there.

No, make that many, not few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss