Latest TP broke my SP3...

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to, I even tried disabling driver signing last night. I just keep getting an error saying the driver is not compatible with my device :/

EDIT: Yup, downloaded that exact file from Intel yesterday, and when I go to update driver software for the display adapter, try to use my own driver, and select have disk > browse, and select igdlh64.inf - I receive this:

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a clean install from an iso...

Re-read the way I describe to install the driver. I updated it after my original post. It will work

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After restoring Win 8 Pro last night from the recovery drive, I installed Win 10 TP this evening after the new build went live. I'm pleased to say that it's working flawlessly - well as much as the TP does, there's a few things not working correctly.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Re-read the way I describe to install the driver. I updated it after my original post. It will work

I also cannot install the driver like this. Perhaps it could be my SP3 is i7 with HD5000, and is more picky about the driver, but it is not compatible. The video driver also does not get installed when using the January SP3 driver pack MSI. In fact, the only way that works is MS Updates.

However, the driver downloaded from MS Updates(4079) now functions properly. Running new TP and all is well. A lot different tho!

daniel329

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Update pretty much bricked my SP3. Screen constantly flashed then shut down. Mouse doesn't work. Touchscreen doesn't work. Nada. Reset (Volume UP + Power) doesn't do anything but kick me back to the login screen where it does nothing.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Update pretty much bricked my SP3. Screen constantly flashed then shut down. Mouse doesn't work. Touchscreen doesn't work. Nada. Reset (Volume UP + Power) doesn't do anything but kick me back to the login screen where it does nothing.

This is the same issue as the last release. Its a driver issue that is being pushed from Windows Update.

Easy way around it is this. Install OS boot and run windows update. Have device manager loaded on the display driver section. Once it installs the display driver roll back the driver. This will allow you to work.

Now what I did was this. I installed all updates minus the display driver. Once i had a fresh boot with all other updates installed i installed the display driver. Than i let my surface sit for a couple reboots. I connected my external monitor to my surface and all is working. I have tried to install the updated drivers from intell but they will not install on my system. I7 512 gig SP3. So it either needs other patches or something finally stabilized after a couple crash reboots. Remember just cause your monitor is off or black doesnt mean you cannot use the device. It just means the display is not updating. You can still use keyboard. ( Boot into windows, Win+x, device monitor, display, driver, roll back, Y on keyboard)

Here is my driver info thats loaded and working:
driver.PNG

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I also cannot install the driver like this. Perhaps it could be my SP3 is i7 with HD5000, and is more picky about the driver, but it is not compatible. The video driver also does not get installed when using the January SP3 driver pack MSI. In fact, the only way that works is MS Updates.

However, the driver downloaded from MS Updates(4079) now functions properly. Running new TP and all is well. A lot different tho!
How were you able to get past the constant black screens and crashing? I did a full reformat with the new Jan build and still having the problem...

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
How were you able to get past the constant black screens and crashing? I did a full reformat with the new Jan build and still having the problem...

Do not connect to the internet and it wont installed the graphics drivers. You cannot stop windows updates in this build with the UI so they install within like 5 mins of boot with internet

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I did a fresh install. Didn't get black screens after that. Only happened with the previous TPs after installing the display driver from MS Updates.

All I did was fresh install, install January Driver Pack MSI(it asks for a restart), and then connect to internet for windows updates for vid driver. No issues.

If you are getting black screens and whatnot before even getting the display driver on there, that's a separate problem from what I had.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I did a fresh install. Didn't get black screens after that. Only happened with the previous TPs after installing the display driver from MS Updates.

All I did was fresh install, install January Driver Pack MSI(it asks for a restart), and then connect to internet for windows updates for vid driver. No issues.

If you are getting black screens and whatnot before even getting the display driver on there, that's a separate problem from what I had.
This finally worked for me. I had to create a local account, install the January Driver Pack, then connect and update

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Latest graphics adapter driver finally fixed my issues with youtube, browser and xBox apps.

I'm still having issues with my Photos app crashing though (have a message about detecting new content and then the app closes on me).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos