Latest TP broke my SP3...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, with the hype of yesterday's event about Windows 10, I bit the bullet and installed the latest build on my SP3. I was thinking that after a few months, it wouldn't be too unstable.

All went well for the first few minutes after installation (used the upgrade option) until I had a message about the video driver not responding and the system hung

Rebooted, system unresponsive.

Performed a system refresh (expecting to get Win 8 back), got Win 10 TP and the same error and crash

Performed a factory reset, lost all of my content/settings and still got Win 10 TP and the same error and crash

Dang.

Then tried running safe mode so I can do something with the video driver...

Tried the "lower video resolution" option - it booted with the same resolution and still crashed

Tried the "safe mode with networking" - booted with no netwoking and still crashed

Hmmm, well this sucks.

So tonight, I'll have to download the Win 8 recovery image and go back to that. Or I might attempt the full install of TP since all of my local files and settings are trashed anyway.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Bummer!

So far I've only run TP in VMware. I figured I might have same problem on my PCs.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This seems to be a rare occurance, I've not seen any cases where people have had the same issue as me. I've seen many cases where SP3 owners are happily using Windows 10.

I'll give the "full" install a shot tonight.

floopydoodle

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You probably shouldn't have lost anything. A bootable USB drive could have recovered your data. This is why you shouldn't install alpha software (Yes the TP is an alpha version) on your main PC. Either run it in a VM or a secondary PC. Or atleast take a full backup before.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You probably shouldn't have lost anything. A bootable USB drive could have recovered your data. This is why you shouldn't install alpha software (Yes the TP is an alpha version) on your main PC. Either run it in a VM or a secondary PC. Or atleast take a full backup before.

All this I know. All of my data is saved on OneDrive, so all I lost was a few downloaded bits of software. Whatever local data I had was dispensible.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. You need to load up the OS. Login and quickly load device manager and roll back the display driver. This will stabalize windows.

I did the Cntrl + x selected device manager click display adapters then roll back. The screen will only update right after a driver crash so you gotta kinda work in the black screen. After 2 attempts you will be a pro. The problem is you cannot stop updates from installing so it auto installs the graphics update after a fresh os install. I am now attempting to us the OS hoping it wont break again.

I know when i had a SP2 and if you reset it you would need to roll back the wifi due to the way windows updates would install the firmware patch before drivers etc. So im attempting to just install the firmware update before the drivers and see if that helps. I think you need the firmware for the drivers to work properly but windows attempts to install the drivers first and forces the os to reboot from the unstable display drivers.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Update: so installing just the Firmware update first did successfully work. When i would install all updates at once i would get a blue screen.

I will now try the graphics drivers...Upon install they do the same thing... I will try all remaining windows updates first before graphics...Still crashes constantly... Guess i will have to wait for an updated version

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Pete, I spent some time this morning talking to the video driver folks, and they had this to say:

“There have been some known issues found with the older Surface Pro video drivers working with Win10. Newer drivers are in the process of being released for Win10 and should be available in the next few days.”

​I hope this helps!

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Same issue for me. Install tech preview, install January driver pack MSI(which actually doesn't find a compatible driver for video), connect to internet, and within a few mins it's unusable from auto installing video driver from updates.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Chuck and Giff. Good to know that there's a sensible reason for this.

I've now managed to restore my Surface back to Win 8.1 Pro and things are fine again. I'll wait for the upcoming build that's being hyped for the next wave of Insiders and try again. At least if things stuff up, I know I have a backout plan.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
yeah im hoping for the next release to fix it. Its not that big of a deal for me yet but to use full time ill need the drivers. I also noticed the brightness was stuckk 100%... Im guessing due to driver issue.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, just to add fuel to the fire... :)

I am having this same problem, but I noticed that the device is somehow stable with these broken drivers, if docked in the surface pro 3 docking station. I am using the device with the basic MSFT driver for now... :/

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Here is a link to specific things with the SP3 and the newest TP release. They mention the video driver should be at .4079 or later amongst other issues with some sleep functions.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-activate%2Fwindows-10-upgrade&token=DEg7inZF

I would update the graphics driver first Here is a link to Intel for version .4080 which was released a week or so ago.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=3719

I just did this on my SP3 and it is a manual update. First, download the zip version and extract the files somewhere. From device manager select the display adapter select update the driver. From the next dialog box select "Browse my computer..." From the next dialog select "Let me pick..." , select "have a disk" and then browse to the folder where you extracted the download and pick the "graphics" subfolder. There is an .inf file there called idglh64.inf. Pick this and away you go. Doesn't even require a reboot although I recommend one before installing the TP.

EDIT: More complete info

Last edited:

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
What's up with the forums truncating the URLs?
Oh, nvm... it's just the Intel link that doesn't work.

So I installed Build 9879, and am currently using the MSFT Basic Display Adapter... should I do anything before installing the new Jan Tech Preview build?

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
What's up with the forums truncating the URLs?
Oh, nvm... it's just the Intel link that doesn't work.

So I installed Build 9879, and am currently using the MSFT Basic Display Adapter... should I do anything before installing the new Jan Tech Preview build?

Install the Intel driver first.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to, I even tried disabling driver signing last night. I just keep getting an error saying the driver is not compatible with my device :/

EDIT: Yup, downloaded that exact file from Intel yesterday, and when I go to update driver software for the display adapter, try to use my own driver, and select have disk > browse, and select igdlh64.inf - I receive this:

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a clean install from an iso...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)