Windows 10 on a Surface Pro?

davisorle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have some simple questions. I would love if someone with actual answers replies to me without misinforming me ! Ive been fixing PC, making custom made PCs for everyone i know since i was 12 and i am now 31 years old. I am rather familiar with all the OS you will through at me except Windows 8-10 when it comes to recovering cause of work, the woman and money...

1) My Surface Pro (1st gen ) is backed up to a rather expensive USB 3 flash drive. If I wipe my SP and its recovery partition to install windows 10, can I fully restore to factory defaults with the USB I have created through Windows 8.1?
2) I can extract my cd key but in case of recovering os through the usb does it request it or its provided though the stick?
3) Windows 10 TP is up indeed upgradable to all the upcoming updates? This I could search myself i know i just wasnt following the past days the news :)
4) The most important for me is this.... If i update my system to 10 right now. Can it be properly registered to MS systems and qualify that my SP was running legit windows 8 prior to win 10? Meaning, can i just update to windows 10 through the preview? Can not remember what they said about that in the past. I know its been talked about.

Thank you in advance. An MS passionate who is expecting for the Hololens preorder button to appear :p

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
1/2) Why don't you just go to Surface.com and download a recovery partition to a flash drive? It's definitely the most simple way to factory restore a Surface.

3/4) We don't know yet, but I think they said something about an "upgrade path" from the technical preview to the final release.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can as I know people who have. The only issue they had in the beginning is with wifi drivers but updates fixed that. Having said that, how are you are tech and have zero skills with Windows 8?

davisorle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
1) I made the recovery drive instead of resorting to that and ready to install on my SP windows 10. i would resort to that option if for some reason it's not functioning properly :) I dont know if that way affects the key registration etc? No clue. I usually only do fresh installations to any PC. I never restore.

3) Im so anxious that I was wondering if there was an answer to that. The event made it harder for me. Had TP on my desktop before i sold it to a friend of mine.

Thank you so much for replying. Other two efforts on this site ( which i adore ) went wasted. No answer. But yeah. Think I should go for it and install? :p

davisorle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Im not familiar with how the extra partition works when it comes to the CD key on a surface pro while you recover through it or the USB. I only ever do fresh installations unless needed on a few laptops due to supplier only drivers ( vaio crap etc that dont work with "real" drivers from hardware manufacturers aka nVidia etc ). Reseting Windows 8 or fresh installing them is nothing different. Using lets say the downloaded files from the Surface site to restore the SP I have no clue how the whole CDkey for my tablet is recovered.

Thank you lots for your reply btw :) I really just want to install them already on my tablet! Use it daily at work with me. Dont mind bugs etc. Been going through bugs for so long. I just love change on my Os :)

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Actually the extra partition just holds the windows installation. The key itself is embedded in the bios. This why if you just do an upgrade to tp then try to do a full recovery it will take you back to the previous os, or in the case of a new drive, previous build. Currently the build updates aren't updating the recovery partition.

It's actually quite easy to have limited or no experience with windows 8/8.1 in it. It basically all comes down to what the company you work for is using. I support 300 users, 169 workstations, 23 servers and 47 printers. 60% of our systems are running xp and the rest are on win7 64pro. In our case it comes down to money. My work computer and personals are always kept up to the latest builds including betas so that is were I get my experience from but a lot of people don't even get that option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077