How Microsoft will provide update to windows 7 to windows 10!!??

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I've Samsung series3 laptop having windows7 basic,I'm very curious to know about how they are going to provide w10 update to windows 7 platform...are they directly giving the update through OTA or we need to do something else!!??Any one knows??

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Windows 7 to 10? No, It will not be a windows update - the change is too significant, even the "upgrade" will be a full OS install.

You will have to either download an ISO file or optionally request a disk. Installation will check to ensure a verified windows 7 OS is installed - much like past upgrades. Free version limited to 365 days from release, after that you will pay the upgrade price.

Windows 8.1 to 10 should be a far easier upgrade and will probably be available via the windows store. No time limit - always a free upgrade.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Windows 7 to 10? No, It will not be a windows update - the change is too significant, even the "upgrade" will be a full OS install.

You will have to either download an ISO file or optionally request a disk. Installation will check to ensure a verified windows 7 OS is installed - much like past upgrades. Free version limited to 365 days from release, after that you will pay the upgrade price.

Windows 8.1 to 10 should be a far easier upgrade and will probably be available via the windows store. No time limit - always a free upgrade.

After the disaster of releasing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store, do you really think they're going to go that route again? And what exactly is a tablet user going to do with an ISO or disk? It's already possible to upgrade to the Technical Preview via Windows Update on Windows 7...so that method is feasible & the most likely method.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Free version limited to 365 days from release, after that you will pay the upgrade price.

This is wrong...
Read the article first
Windows 10 to be free upgrade for first year for users of Windows 7 and 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Central
Its a free upgrade for all W7/8/8.1 users and once upgraded the devices are supported for their lifetime.
Only when u try and upgrade from W7/8/8.1 after one year of the W10 launch only then u need to pay meaning if ur an existing user then its basically free and no strings attached.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
After the disaster of releasing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store, do you really think they're going to go that route again? And what exactly is a tablet user going to do with an ISO or disk? It's already possible to upgrade to the Technical Preview via Windows Update on Windows 7...so that method is feasible & the most likely method.

Not everyone is on the Tech Preview. I don't think Microsoft would be offering it FREE for a year with something as simple as a Windows Update. I think the store option would probably be the easiest and most feasible unless you're on WIN7 in which case, I'd imagine you'd have to go through the MS website. People would probably sue Microsoft if they tried something as easy as a Windows Update anyways. It's a huge difference from Windows 7 aesthetically and not everyone would like that.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Not everyone is on the Tech Preview. I don't think Microsoft would be offering it FREE for a year with something as simple as a Windows Update. I think the store option would probably be the easiest and most feasible unless you're on WIN7 in which case, I'd imagine you'd have to go through the MS website. People would probably sue Microsoft if they tried something as easy as a Windows Update anyways. It's a huge difference from Windows 7 aesthetically and not everyone would like that.

Windows 7 doesn't have a store, and it too will receive Windows 10 for free --- so really that rules the Store option out. Plus Microsoft ran into way too many problems releasing 8.1 via the store. I think you miss read my post also, so I'll re-word it...Users currently running Windows 7 can open Windows Update and upgrade to the "Windows Technical Preview" if they choose, it is listed an an update.

The only other option is to offer it the same way they handled the discounted Windows 8 upgrade. Register, verify your installation is valid and run the executable that will download and kick off the upgrade process.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site

What disaster? We've done quite a few updates here without issues (Thankfully)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It'll work the same way as the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

You click on a link, download and run an exe file. It downloads a ton of stuff and asks you a few questions. Screen with then flash in lovely trippy colours, computer will reboot and you'll have Windows 10.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
It'll work the same way as the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

You click on a link, download and run an exe file. It downloads a ton of stuff and asks you a few questions. Screen with then flash in lovely trippy colours, computer will reboot and you'll have Windows 10.

Except. Microsoft wants change. QUICKLY. It's likely through Windows update. I think with the fierceness of Microsoft's change to Windows 10. I think if people disable the update it'll still install no matter what

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Except. Microsoft wants change. QUICKLY. It's likely through Windows update. I think with the fierceness of Microsoft's change to Windows 10. I think if people disable the update it'll still install no matter what

NO THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT TRUE.
Microsoft will NOT force you to install windows 10 if you do not want it.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There will likely be a number of options but I doubt Windows Update will be one of them. It could be a downloadable ISO image; a small executable which then does all the heavy lifting in one setup routine; a disc in the post. I think the key thing here is not the medium used to install Windows 10 but rather the method by which users will qualify and what you get to keep in terms of data. As long as you have a licensed copy of 7 or 8.1, you'll be able to claim a shiny new Windows 10 key within the qualifying 1-year period. How you install it will be up to you but I would be inclined to save all my important documents do a clean install. I've never liked upgrades, even between sequential versions.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am excited that all my PC's will be updated to 10. but I am disappointed they left out my asus vivotab rt's. I hope the upgrade to 8.1 will suffice.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
It is NOT possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the Windows update mechanism. Read this again: NOT POSSIBLE

It will be a Disk or an ISO - done

@Athull, I am sorry if I was not being clear - the verbiage can be hard. The upgrade will be free, no subscription, no additional payments... You own it and you will continue to get updates for that machine as long as it is supported. (can handle the upgrade)

If you have Windows 7 you have one year to take advantage of this free offer. (Yes, I am suggesting there is no time limit on upgrading from Windows 8 to 10. I may be wrong, but I do not think so)

Last edited:

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
It is NOT possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the Windows update mechanism. Read this again: NOT POSSIBLE

It will be a Disk or an ISO - done

Why do you keep saying this? Windows 7 to Windows 8 was upgradeable WITHOUT AN ISO or DISK. Also, the Technical Preview for Windows 10 has been available via Windows 7 "Windows Update" if you manually open it up and look for it -- there is no debating this LOL. An ISO or disc may be offerered as an option, but that will not be the way the majority of upgrades are handeled --- tablets users won't beneit from an ISO or DVD, and the average user has no idea what an ISO is.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just like how Windows 7 users could update to the Tech Preview via Windows Update, this will probably be the same thing. They want people on the latest OS, so that's the easiest and most logical way to do it.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.. Why are you saying it will be an ISO? That would rule out the majority of the population. People don't even know what an ISO is. It'll be through Windows update. Though, I'm sure you'll have to visit Windows.com & enable it

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
That is simply saying they are not pushing 10 out to anyone other than those already in the testing program. You were not able to upgrade from windows 7 to Windows 10 without doing a full upgrade with a disk / ISO file.

There was no migration path using Windows Update from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing - windows update is the mechanism that Microsoft uses to provide critical updates / driver updates and dot releases within the same OS... It is not a utility for performing an upgrade from one OS to another.

It is also a mechanism where users often have little interaction as updates are set to perform automatically.

No OS level update has ever been automatic!

Come to think of it... I do believe that Microsoft had a Windows 8 upgrade assistant that created a process for purchasing online and upgrading without a disk or ISO - but it had nothing to do with the Windows update mechanism.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb