How Microsoft will provide update to windows 7 to windows 10!!??

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Then would you mind explaining this?

http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-1...hnical-preview-windows-7-users-windows-update

Please, I want to hear your answer.

I think they will provide one application, through they will check that a user is a licensed or not then they will provide update through windows update...

This is better way...to upgrade if they provide update through this way(without downloading iso file, burn the iso file) because this way is too much lengthy will take more time than directly windows update

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Scott: Please consider what you are saying here. "Not possible" to install an OS upgrade using Windows Update.

Windows 10 builds exist as ESD files aka encrypted ISO. The Windows Update mechanism is in fact being used in Windows 10 when new builds are available. Now I will admit I don't know all the technical details of exactly how it accomplishes this.

It *can* be done, it took about 30 seconds for me to put this scenario in my head of how I think the WIndows 7 to 10 upgrade works. They could have implemented differently but trust me nothing is "not possible" for talented coders.

1. Windows Update offers you an update which consists of an executable file.
2. If you choose to install that update, it runs.
3. The executable connects to Microsoft, downloads the latest Windows 10 ESD file for your architecture, expands/decrypts it to a temporary folder, and launches "setup.exe" in that folder.
4. At this point the exact same thing happens as if you had a physical Windows 10 DVD, inserted it and ran setup. If it supports upgrading your current situation, that's what it will do.

There, how hard was that? OS upgrade accomplished by using Windows Update.

Now that I've explained that it *can* be done, I will say that it will never happen that way on any systems I have control of. I don't personally like the idea of all the individual machines connecting to Microsoft and downloading multi gigabytes of data when they feel like it, without my permission. Especially when I have a WSUS on site and very slow Internet. I will disable all the auto upgrade stuff, let it use WSUS for normal updates, and when there's a new build I will get the ISO and launch the upgrade myself when I want it to happen.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Except. Microsoft wants change. QUICKLY. It's likely through Windows update. I think with the fierceness of Microsoft's change to Windows 10. I think if people disable the update it'll still install no matter what

Perhaps you might want to look up the definition of fierceness and describe how that in any way applies. As to people being forced to upgrade, are you serious? That is probably the nonsensical thing I have read here in a long time and forums are frequently overrun with nonsense. It is not only bad business and PR suicide, it also is illegal. Honestly, do people read things before they click reply?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you might want to look up the definition of fierceness and describe how that in any way applies. As to people being forced to upgrade, are you serious? That is probably the nonsensical thing I have read here in a long time and forums are frequently overrun with nonsense. It is not only bad business and PR suicide, it also is illegal. Honestly, do people read things before they click reply?

Illegal, but Apple did it, they forced you to download a U2 album as well

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Lol no they didn't. They basically did the equivalent of gifting it to your cloud collection if you had the "show all music" option in Xbox music.

Several people have personally told me that a) that update was mandatory to continue using iServices, b) the music was downloaded, not added to collection.

Please keep biases out of these conversations.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Several people have personally told me that a) that update was mandatory to continue using iServices, b) the music was downloaded, not added to collection.

Please keep biases out of these conversations.

Well, then your friends don't understand what happened. There's a button in iTunes similar to the "connect to cloud streaming" button in the settings of Xbox music. All the button does is let you browse the music that is saved in your cloud collection, but not on your phone. If you turned it off, the album would go away. Hence, it wasn't downloaded to the phone.

Also, you actually just say I have an Apple bias? LOL you just made my day. XD

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, everyone. I'm an Apple fan boy now. Despite not owning any Apple products for years, I have a passionate love for Apple and hate M$$$$$$$$!!!!! I shall now turn in my Ambassador status at Windows Central, my 3 Windows Phones, and my Surface Pro 3. I'm off to go buy a Mac and iPhone now. See you on iMore!

Lol people really hate facts that don't align with what they believe.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
After the disaster of releasing Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store, do you really think they're going to go that route again? And what exactly is a tablet user going to do with an ISO or disk? It's already possible to upgrade to the Technical Preview via Windows Update on Windows 7...so that method is feasible & the most likely method.

​Tablets re likely on 8.0/8.1, and they can run ISO. I know, I upgraded my SP 3 that way.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
It is NOT possible to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the Windows update mechanism. Read this again: NOT POSSIBLE

It will be a Disk or an ISO - done

@Athull, I am sorry if I was not being clear - the verbiage can be hard. The upgrade will be free, no subscription, no additional payments... You own it and you will continue to get updates for that machine as long as it is supported. (can handle the upgrade)

If you have Windows 7 you have one year to take advantage of this free offer. (Yes, I am suggesting there is no time limit on upgrading from Windows 8 to 10. I may be wrong, but I do not think so)

Uh... The tech preview, once signed up for, upgraded windows 7, as an update from the Windows Update. Not only is it possible, BUT IT'S HOW THEY ARE CURRENTLY DOING IT FOR THE TECH PREVIEW. And it works really well ;)

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Windows 7 to 10? No, It will not be a windows update - the change is too significant, even the "upgrade" will be a full OS install.

Both Windows 7 and 8.1 will update to Windows 10 through an online update. This has been very clearly communicated by Microsoft during the W10 presentation last January. In fact the TP is being offered through Windows Update on both 7 and 8.1 right now.

That said, IMO a fresh install of a major OS update will always be the better option.

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing - windows update is the mechanism that Microsoft uses to provide critical updates / driver updates and dot releases within the same OS... It is not a utility for performing an upgrade from one OS to another.

I suggest you refresh your resources as you could not be further from the truth here.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I think Scott Bradley thinks that just because Windows Update is used, it's implied that the OS is "Updating" on top of the current installed OS. It seems that he doesn't really understand that Windows Update is simply being used to deliver the Windows 10 installation media, from there it expands and runs in place to initiate a new Windows installation. One that allows for either a "Clean" install or an "Upgrade" install. The upgrade installation will work like it need when moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8, you had the option to retain files, programs & settings --- at the cost of what I'd consider to be noticeably poorer performance.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, as I don't agree with all of Scott's views on stuff, I will agree with this.

If you were on Windows 7, you didn't go into Windows update to update to Windows 8/8.1. There is not any official "Windows store" for Windows 7 (**WINDOWS 8 WAS/IS NOT FREE**). You went to MS's site downloaded a small program, when you ran it, it would take all your info, key, setup etc, then it would download the files in the background, then install. Then you have Windows 8...

This would be almost like taking a DVD, putting it in the drive and running setup. Odds are VERY HIGH that the same process will happen for WIndows 10, it will check your install, validate it (your version of Windows), then download the files, and click install, after a few reboots, you have Windows 10..

Yes, you will be able to UPGRADE from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it's just not going to be as easy as it was before (like going from 8 to 8.1) and you WONT use Windows update to install it (maybe the 5K updates after install but, that is different).

To be honest with you, Who really cares if MS uses WIn update or uses their in house download too that does very good compression ? It still will get the same result, I think 7 to 8, MS used their own tool,. not windows update, I'm able 85-90% sure on that one but, of course I could be wrong.

I just hope they provide me with a key, so after the upgrade is done, I will want to do a clean install (format and start over) to get all the old crap out. So, as long as I can get an ISO, I will be happy.

Got a tablet and wondering what you can do with an ISO ? Microsoft has a tool, Windows 7 USB tool, it will take a MS ISO and put it to a flash drive. Stick that flash drive in and run setup, OR set your tablet to boot off the flash drive and format then install Windows 10...

Very easy, I think this should clear it up for a lot of people... I think I worded it better

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6