Windows Media Center to make a return on Windows 10 ? Any updates ?

skris88

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Media Centre since Windows XP MCE Edition. The one thing the alternatives don't do - and MCE does really well - is as a PVR of free-to-air TV. Tried it? Please don't write Media Centre off unless you have.

Trying Media Centre as a PVR is 'easy'. There are myriads of USB TV Tuners available off eBay for between $50 and $100. For your trial, get the cheapest you can, it's digital, so the more expensive ones really aren't all that much better - if it includes a Windows driver file, Media Centre will see it and work with it perfectly (that's all that's needed). Make sure you do have a proper roof-mounted antenna pointed towards your local free-to-air HDTV transmitter.

Also there are IR remote controls and USB IR Receiver sets also easily available off eBay.

To the none-geeks in a home (eg, grandmother) this PVR is a fairy "fool-proof" system they can access and utilise without any training. Bored with TV? Select a movie or switch to some MP3s with a slide show of the grandkids playing (or not) on the TV?

If you've tried Windows Media Centre in it's PVR mode and know there is a better alternative PLEASE tell me, as I've been looking for one for years. And it must be straight-forward; no additional "front/back-end servers" nonsense please. I've tried MythTV and Kodi etc, and they've failed the EASY test. It has to be end-user friendly, not geek-friendly.

Looking forward to reading some good news here shortly (as to an alternative), or of Microsoft pulling their heads out and offering a Media Centre add-on pack with Win10 as they do with Win8.

Thanks!

Cheers,
skris88

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI (for your information) I BINGed
PVR = personal video recorder = DVR = digital video recorder.

I think Media Centre (MCE) is the same as Windows Media Center (WMC).

Just to clarify for those who are new to this topic.

Best Wishes.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI (for your information) I BINGed
PVR = personal video recorder = DVR = digital video recorder.

I think Media Centre (MCE) is the same as Windows Media Center (WMC).

Just to clarify for those who are new to this topic.

Best Wishes.

A little history here....

MCE= Media Center Edition (XP MCE came out, that is what it was called "XP:Media Center Edition" It was only available via OEM, no retail offering)

WMC=Windows Media Center

MCE refers to the XP version, that was really changed when Windows Vista(first major change from XP style to 7 style) came out to "WMC" but, in the context that we all use it, it's the same thing....

Still crossing my figures for a Option for "Windows Media Center" or WMC in WIndows 10. How really hard would it be for Microsoft to offer it as a installable Option from the store ? Even if it's Unsupported I think people would still buy it...

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So my Hauppauge USB tuner just died and since media center support is slowly disappearing I wanted to see what I could get that would work now and also later whenever DVR support for Xbone or something else pops up. So I did some research and ended up getting the HD Homerun Prime 3 tuner that you plug straight into your network ($112 on Amazon). It seemed the safest bet since it works with media center right now, can stream cablecard content over DLNA to multiple devices, has a lot of vendor/app/device support, etc. My hope is that whenever the Xbone begins allowing DVR support that I'll just be ready to go. You can actually access the subscription channels via the Xbone media player app as "DLNA videos" as it is now. Just no DVR yet.

HDHomeRun PRIME - Watch Streaming TV Anywhere - Digital Cable

Then supposedly you can to DVR with a guide via subscription whenever this product comes out. It's not as good as media center from what I can tell, however I've not used it and it at least looks like it may provide the same functionality. I'd rather use the OneGuide on the Xbone personally.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined/description

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Although I do genuinely dislike the fact that WMC is discontinued I completely agree with you. No one forced you to use WMC, no one forces you to upgrade. Microsoft doesn't NEED to do anything, would be very nice if they would though.

On the other hand, I am now getting more used to Kodi and in all honesty: after a period of getting used to it is as easy as WMC!

ZippyTheChicken

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
just get Kodi and you can do everything wmc could.

Kodi or XBMC for the laggers does not have its own ability to record or play live TV it uses plugins

the plugins use WMC as the recording or playing device

The Project Team at Kodi.tv has publicly stated their application is for viewing media and they have no plans to offer or officially support internal capture or live playback of live tv .. especially television that would be encrypted meaning ALL CABLE TV ON EVERY NETWORK not just HBO.. because adding that function means a cost and certification process by CableLabs

Maybe through a plugin you can use your silicon dust .. but not for cable tv .. and not for generic windows tuner cards or usb devices that have tv tuners....

Kodi is not a reasonable solution for those of us that are not willing to break federal laws and get tv over torrents.

If you live in China or an Arab Country where they ignore Copyright Laws for Television fine go with it .. i don't care..

But if you live in the USA or Europe or Australia or Korea or anyplace where Copyright is an issue you must consider than you can not use Kodi to stream Illegal TV or Movie Content.

Removing Media Center means people can't record content legally and have it like we use to be able to do with a VCR.

There just are no other options out there because Microsoft hammered them to death back in the mid and late 1990's and no company like Haupauge, Asus, Ceton, SiliconDust was willing to go on their own against microsoft ...

So all the tuner cards were WINDOWS TUNER CARDS or Windows compliant .. and had WINDOWS DRIVERS.. and if you were real lucky some kid in Amsterdam might write a Linux Driver but you could never record a TV Series you could only record by TV Channel , Time and Duration.. which is INSANE compared to having Media Center just record all new episodes of Hells Kitchen on its own.

This is a big issue for about 15% of microsofts users and its a moderate issue for many more.

Media Center is already written.. they own it.. they are deliberately deprecating it.

This is not reasonable for people who have used Microsoft products since Dos 2x
it is not reasonable for people who don't have a clue what this product can do.

I personally have a HUGE archive of 100% LEGAL Content just like if it was on a VCR Tape .. but its on a drive.
I don't share it with anyone.. and I don't ask others for their content.
This is legal and the right thing to do and basically its free

Clicking on a show in Kodi or in another app and downloading a torrent to watch a movie or tv show is illegal

If you work from home.. if your parents work from home you can lose your family's broadband account.

It might not be happening right now.. but as TV moves to streaming it will happen because the Movie Studios and Comcast is also a MOVIE STUDIO and TV Network won't be having people cancel their CableTV accounts .. move to torrent streaming and cut them out of all profits.

And if you don't keep up with slashdotorg you better because its been announced that they are installing honeypots right now and watching streams.

Last edited by a moderator:

PBarrette

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Kodi or XBMC for the laggers does not have its own ability to record or play live TV it uses plugins

There are also SiliconDust laggers! Here's one of the SD descriptions for their new product, HDHomeRun DVR:

Watch and record live TV. Your way.

It?s our mission is to simplify and change the way we watch and record live television.

SiliconDust is readying the ultimate live television viewing and recording tool called HDHomeRun DVR. It enables the viewing, scheduling and recording of your full over-the-air and cable TV lineup using your home network.

Live and recorded content can be watched from media devices with our brand new and innovative interface. And yes, it even works with protected content.

HDHomeRun DVR doesn?t require an always on PC - it works with network attached storage devices. The best part? It requires practically zero configuration.

With HDHomeRun DVR combined with current HDHomeRun products you will soon have the freedom to watch and record Live TV. Your way. On your terms.
photo-original.jpg

I'm a beta tester since I gave to the Kickstarter. You will NOT need WMC anymore once this goes to release. This product is cross-platform, and works on many NAS boxes, hence no need for a dedicated HTPC!

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

the plugins use WMC as the recording or playing device

The Project Team at Kodi.tv has publicly stated their application is for viewing media and they have no plans to offer or officially support internal capture or live playback of live tv .. especially television that would be encrypted meaning ALL CABLE TV ON EVERY NETWORK not just HBO.. because adding that function means a cost and certification process by CableLabs

Maybe through a plugin you can use your silicon dust .. but not for cable tv .. and not for generic windows tuner cards or usb devices that have tv tuners....

Kodi is not a reasonable solution for those of us that are not willing to break federal laws and get tv over torrents.

If you live in China or an Arab Country where they ignore Copyright Laws for Television fine go with it .. i don't care..

But if you live in the USA or Europe or Australia or Korea or anyplace where Copyright is an issue you must consider than you can not use Kodi to stream Illegal TV or Movie Content.

Removing Media Center means people can't record content legally and have it like we use to be able to do with a VCR.

There just are no other options out there because Microsoft hammered them to death back in the mid and late 1990's and no company like Haupauge, Asus, Ceton, SiliconDust was willing to go on their own against microsoft ...

So all the tuner cards were WINDOWS TUNER CARDS or Windows compliant .. and had WINDOWS DRIVERS.. and if you were real lucky some kid in Amsterdam might write a Linux Driver but you could never record a TV Series you could only record by TV Channel , Time and Duration.. which is INSANE compared to having Media Center just record all new episodes of Hells Kitchen on its own.

This is a big issue for about 15% of microsofts users and its a moderate issue for many more.

Media Center is already written.. they own it.. they are deliberately deprecating it.

This is not reasonable for people who have used Microsoft products since Dos 2x
it is not reasonable for people who don't have a clue what this product can do.

I personally have a HUGE archive of 100% LEGAL Content just like if it was on a VCR Tape .. but its on a drive.
I don't share it with anyone.. and I don't ask others for their content.
This is legal and the right thing to do and basically its free

Clicking on a show in Kodi or in another app and downloading a torrent to watch a movie or tv show is illegal

If you work from home.. if your parents work from home you can lose your family's broadband account.

It might not be happening right now.. but as TV moves to streaming it will happen because the Movie Studios and Comcast is also a MOVIE STUDIO and TV Network won't be having people cancel their CableTV accounts .. move to torrent streaming and cut them out of all profits.

And if you don't keep up with slashdotorg you better because its been announced that they are installing honeypots right now and watching streams.

Interesting, you say there is absolutely no other program that can handle that, yet befoire my old pinnacle tuner card died I used a software made by pinnacle for it which had nothing to do with wmc...

EDIT: also, I'd appreciate it if you got off your high hoarse there, Kodi isn't a program for illegally watching stuff, as with any software, yes, it can be used illegally, but there are much more legal uses.

So... all my ripped blurays/dvds that happen to be in kodi are illegal? Everytime I watch Netflix on kodi, it's illegal? Everytime I watch Crunchyroll on kodi, it's illegal? Everytime I watch Hulu on Kodi, it?s illegal? Everytime I put a dvd in my computer and watch it on kodi, it's illegal?

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a beta tester since I gave to the Kickstarter. You will NOT need WMC anymore once this goes to release. This product is cross-platform, and works on many NAS boxes, hence no need for a dedicated HTPC!

I've been really bummed that ​I missed that kickstarter, is there any way to get involved after the fact? Any way to pay later to get in, etc?

PBarrette

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been really bummed that ​I missed that kickstarter, is there any way to get involved after the fact? Any way to pay later to get in, etc?

I don't think so. The beta stuff uses the IDs of your tuners to check if you are part of the Kickstarter. It is supposed to be out in September, I believe.

Wilbur Schitzel

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
There are also SiliconDust laggers! Here's one of the SD descriptions for their new product, HDHomeRun DVR:

Any word on extender support? If they could get an XBOX 360 app released, they'd gain a lot of current WMC users. I have 3 HDhomerun tuners now, so I'd be set except for the extender support.

PBarrette

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Any word on extender support? If they could get an XBOX 360 app released, they'd gain a lot of current WMC users. I have 3 HDhomerun tuners now, so I'd be set except for the extender support.
I haven't checked the SD forums yet about that, but I'm hoping if they make it a Universal App it runs on the One. I use 360s as extenders too.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone going to try to run Windows 7/8.1 in a Hyper-V and keep Media Center going? I guess, by license rule, you have to have a FULL version of one of those versions.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone going to try to run Windows 7/8.1 in a Hyper-V and keep Media Center going? I guess, by license rule, you have to have a FULL version of one of those versions.

That's exactly what I plan on doing now that my tuner is a NAS device instead of USB. Probably will be testing it in the next few days. I think I'm going to use the free VMware player though instead of hyper-v, haven't done the research yet.

Vote to keep WMC!

This crappy site wont let me post the link so google "WMC petition" and sign it!

A petition won't change the cable companies minds sadly, which is the real reason media center is going away.

Stevsz

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried e free MediaPortal? (see team-mediaportal.com). Quote from their page:

"MediaPortal transforms your PC into a complete media solution.
It runs on basic hardware, connects directly to your TV and displays your TV Series, Movies, Photos and Music in a much more dynamic way. All in the comfort of your living room, on your big screen LCD or Plasma TV or projector!

• Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more, and for free!
  • Play videos, movies, DVDs and Blu-ray discs
  • Listen to music and radio
  • Enjoy pictures, home videos or create a slideshow
  • Stream media, radio and TV to any HTPC / PC connected to your network
  • Use a remote to control your HTPC from your couch
  • Check the weather, news, and more
  • Access MediaPortal from the web or mobile device

That’s only the basic features! By using the hundreds of plugins and skins available, you can do almost anything—like monitor your HTPC; view sports scores or local movie show times; stream or download web TV, Apple Trailers, YouTube videos or internet radio; even start up MediaPortal playing music from a predefined playlist.

MediaPortal is quite simply a revolution in media control, it allows you to watch, listen, read and play your media as you want to, without getting in the way, or having to learn difficult navigations systems."

I looked at it many years ago in its infancy and it was was a bit confusing to set up but looked good. Has had a lot of development last time I look at the site, but haven't tried installing it again. Found it to be a lot better than XBMC at the time.

Also, for Hauppage Tv tuner card users, there is a dedicated app "WinTV" (and Windows drivers) which works just like WMC as a HTPC app. A little less sophisticated with the GUI and the Tv programe guide. I have both this and WMC running and can watch both in split screen at the same time.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel