Windows Media Center to make a return on Windows 10 ? Any updates ?

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Have been using mediaportal for a few weeks now. They have certainly made installation a lot easier than when I first tried it a couple of years ago - just one download that automates all the other bits that you previously had to hunt down separately. It seems to record TV perfectly well. The UI is still a little irritating and initially confusing but you get used to it. Getting guide information is a bit of a pain. In the end I gave up trying to use the supposedly best options and just let it grab stuff from the web but it seems to work ok. The one advantage over MC is that it records in a format recognized by my smart TV so I can play directly from a NAS without having to convert as I did with MC. Worth a look. Works fine on Win 10.

Lane Jasper1

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Maybe true it was in Win 8 but it was also an option in Win 7, this sucks!!!!!!!

You'll need a TV tuner card with software such as WinTV or similar to get past this. But they should never have pulled it but you can thank the lawyers and Anti-piracy people whether you used it to rip copywritten material or not. And the TV guide/player with my winTV card is less than desireable.

This BLOWS! Bummer

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is official. Windows Media Center has been HACKED and is running on Windows 10. This is NOT a VM, this is not an image on top of the version, this is Windows Media Center pulled from build 10134 and hacked into to the RTM of Windows 10.

Starting reports of tests show that live TV, schedule shows, Media features (movies, Music, etc) work.

WMC-WIn10.JPG

Due the to the fact that WC might figure this could be pirated or hacked software and their stance on the Android apps on Windows Phone 10, I will NOT directly post to the install or configurations for this.

I can tell you that it's down to a simple batch file that you just run and it does everything. This image is taken from my Person computer that I am running Windows 10 RTM on (not in the preview program)

I will be testing with Cablecard tuners tonight to make sure that works, I will try to record and play back Protected content (People have said playready installs, so DRM cablecard content should work.)

This is HUGE for WMC users..

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
This is official. Windows Media Center has been HACKED and is running on Windows 10. This is NOT a VM, this is not an image on top of the version, this is Windows Media Center pulled from build 10134 and hacked into to the RTM of Windows 10.

Fantastic! I really hope it will all work as it should. Please keep us up to date. Would you be willing to let us know how it's done?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic! I really hope it will all work as it should. Please keep us up to date. Would you be willing to let us know how it's done?

So far, it seems solid but, a few issues here and there. Guide data is working for some but, It's not working for me (trying to figure it out) and getting some display errors when trying to watch tv, again sorting through them.

Due to Possible pirated hack on this and WC stance on this, unless I get an official OK from a Mod on here, I will not post details on it.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That's the point: there isn't anything more modern. The alternatives (XBMC, etc) are less modern in terms of their user interfaces and overall design language.
no it isn't, not by far, kodi just needs a bit of tweaking, if you find the right skin kodi is beautiful and far more functional then wmc.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
David,

I just tried this through the method that Windows Central posted today. I'm testing on a machine with no internal tuner, just an HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard on the network. I ran the Digital Cable Advisor successfully, but I'm stuck at the digital cable activation step stating that my product key (one that is always automatically pre-entered) is invalid for activation.

I did get WMC to play one of my copy freely recordings from another PC, but twice during the episode, playback stopped with an error about not having the files to play back the media. As intriguing as this hack is, it's still pretty useless for me without playback of DRM content through my cablecard tuner.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
no it isn't, not by far, kodi just needs a bit of tweaking, if you find the right skin kodi is beautiful and far more functional then wmc.

That's interesting, and I'm happy to stand corrected. I've just looked at the web page, and I'm a bit concerned that it won't work as a PVR without some kind of "back end". Presumably it won't handle tuner cards without some help.

WMC will handle as many tuner cards as you can throw at it. I'd like to build a system that will handle four. Are you able to recommend a "backend" that will support four cards? Kodi lists these as compatible: "MediaPortal, MythTV, NextPVR, Tvheadend, VDR, Windows Media Center, and more".

I'm not wedded to WMC if Kodi is better, so any advice on the PVR functionality it can offer would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
David,

I just tried this through the method that Windows Central posted today. I'm testing on a machine with no internal tuner, just an HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard on the network. I ran the Digital Cable Advisor successfully, but I'm stuck at the digital cable activation step stating that my product key (one that is always automatically pre-entered) is invalid for activation.

I did get WMC to play one of my copy freely recordings from another PC, but twice during the episode, playback stopped with an error about not having the files to play back the media. As intriguing as this hack is, it's still pretty useless for me without playback of DRM content through my cablecard tuner.

Ran into this too, when you run WMC, right click on it and run as an Admin....

LOL! How very helpful of you. Now I wonder why you mentioned it in the first place.

Get over yourself. 2 min on bing or google you can find this. Are you that lazy ?

I got a WARNING on WC because of information that on this type thing, so when it comes to questionable content on this, I will not help anyone on this type of thing on THIS SITE any more.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting, and I'm happy to stand corrected. I've just looked at the web page, and I'm a bit concerned that it won't work as a PVR without some kind of "back end". Presumably it won't handle tuner cards without some help.

WMC will handle as many tuner cards as you can throw at it. I'd like to build a system that will handle four. Are you able to recommend a "backend" that will support four cards? Kodi lists these as compatible: "MediaPortal, MythTV, NextPVR, Tvheadend, VDR, Windows Media Center, and more".

I'm not wedded to WMC if Kodi is better, so any advice on the PVR functionality it can offer would be great. Thank you.

well, I cant say much on it, I don't have a cable card anymore, I know kodi is capable of it, but I don't know the specifics as I've never done it, once you get it working to your liking though, I'm certain youll like it more, I used to be a windows media center lover too and ignored xbmc, then I decided to try it and never looked back.

Kip Shepard

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
just go to Hauppauge web page and download the lasted version of the WinTV software I think the disk works
with all Hauppauge cards ver 8 if you don't have a original Hauppauge disk then I will cost you a wopping
$8.00

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa