Surface Pro 3 Install Of Latest Build

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone been brave enough to install today's new preview build on their Surface Pro 3? If so, how is it? My only real concern is OneDrive...I need my placeholders. Is the Modern OneDrive available for Windows 10 TP yet?

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Did not dare to yet, but I sure would like to. OneDrive is a major concern for me too. Beside that, I would need to know if I should expect any issues running Visual Studio Community with Win 10 TP to code.
Everything in me REALLY wants to give it a shot. I don't have a problem with glitches, but the SP3 is my daily driver and while I can deal with some bugs, I can't afford it to not work for some things at all.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Did not dare to yet, but I sure would like to. OneDrive is a major concern for me too. Beside that, I would need to know if I should expect any issues running Visual Studio Community with Win 10 TP to code.
Everything in me REALLY wants to give it a shot. I don't have a problem with glitches, but the SP3 is my daily driver and while I can deal with some bugs, I can't afford it to not work for some things at all.

Agreed...very tempted and feeling that I may be able to trust the TP from here on out...waiting for more reports on how it is...

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, I will give it a few days. OneDrive seems to be working OK btw. I connect to OneDrive and OneDrive for Business and I haven't seen any issues with the new build yet, but I only played around with it for about half an hour.

prosimian

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I installed on my SP3. Graphics performance is a bit bad, but otherwise it seems solid. I don't have VS installed, though. My SP3 is more of an entertainment / Office / Presentation machine, and all of that looks good.

Need a better graphics driver, may go to the Intel website and see what I can do.

daniel329

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I would hold off. I ran the upgrade - took about 30 minutes. Now my SP3 is unusuable. When it booted into Win10 the screen sat and constantly flashed. Touch didn't work. Pen worked for a few seconds then quit. Then the whole system froze and it shut down. Now it is stuck at the "Choose an Operating System" screen with two options - Windows Technical Preview and Windows Rollback. Tried doing the volume up power restart. Didn't work. Still stuck. Beware.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The choice option is a known bug. For your other issues install the newest graphics driver from the Intel website. Also a known issue. The version is .4080. I posted I instructions in the SP3 forum.

I too am going to wait for a couple days to see how it goes with the other more adventurous folks.

prosimian

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My only big issue was fixed with another system update this evening - finally got the Intel HD Graphics driver from windows update. Other than the occasional little oddities that are to be expected of a TP like this, so far so good.

mylumia928

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I would hold off. I ran the upgrade - took about 30 minutes. Now my SP3 is unusuable. When it booted into Win10 the screen sat and constantly flashed. Touch didn't work. Pen worked for a few seconds then quit. Then the whole system froze and it shut down. Now it is stuck at the "Choose an Operating System" screen with two options - Windows Technical Preview and Windows Rollback. Tried doing the volume up power restart. Didn't work. Still stuck. Beware.

I have the same flashing issue 😞

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
If you have an external monitor connect it and the flashing stops. Than run all updates. It should update the driver to 10.18.15.4079 and that will stop the flashing of the screen.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I decided to do it...I've got three possible big issues (big enough to go back to 8.1)

Runs Hot - My SP3 seems to run hot. I check task manager and often times there will be WSPACKAGEMANGER running high CPU or Windows Explorer doing the same...but usually hovering around 14% CPU and fan runs a lot.

Start Screen - If I pin anything besides an app (say a OneNote Note, a Kindle Book) and try to move that tile around, the start screen will crash and remove what I had pinned.

IE - Despite actually missing the touch IE, YouTube crashes upon video playback. Guessing it is a Flash Issue...anyone else have this?

uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm using it on my SP1, and so far, everything works! I highly suggest a fresh install with this. Problem is, I don't know how to adjust the screen brightness manually now, where can I do that? Drivers via Windows Update were installed already, so no more driver issues.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm using it on my SP1, and so far, everything works! I highly suggest a fresh install with this. Problem is, I don't know how to adjust the screen brightness manually now, where can I do that? Drivers via Windows Update were installed already, so no more driver issues.

Power options - Screen brightness

Also, I installed this on my SP3 and its way more glitchy than 9879 was. It's not as unstable as 9901, but it randomly crashes now and again, meaning you have to hard boot because the OS won't respond to anything, but the keyboard lights still work. It's odd.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have SP1 and I haven't install it there yet I am going to way little bit more for the OS to get more polish. Although, I installed on my Acer laptop.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It has bugs but that's what I expected, no big deal.

I went to display resolution and made everything the largest size. That made it a lot easier to use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos