Windows 10 TP on Devices with Compressed OS (HP Stream 8)

Brandon Cummings

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone been able to install the new Technical Preview on devices with a compressed OS such as the HP Stream 8? I've only tried installing from the windows update method and not the ISO which I have downloading now. Any insight would be much appreciated.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I reported the compressed OS problem to a support rep on twitter, currently downloading the ISO though which is gonna take up to 12 hours though. Please do report if it works for you guys :)

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
im doing the update exe now and alsos downloading the ios file, i have a chinise import 8.1 tablet so interested to see how you guys do

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
More than likely not, but i'll see if I can get the ISO to work for me. We may have to wait for the consumer build if there will be one.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
i have a 32GB hard drive so i will also try the ISO today, can someone point me in the right direction to download this iso as i have this one 9926.0.150119-1648.FBL_AWESOME1501_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_X86FRE_EN-US but im not sure its the correct version.

cheers

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Stream 7, and managed to get 19.7GB free out of the 32GB, and I can't install from the ISO, I get the same "compressed operating system" message. Not sure what to do now...

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Stream 7, and managed to get 19.7GB free out of the 32GB, and I can't install from the ISO, I get the same "compressed operating system" message. Not sure what to do now...

did you create a recovery on a USB and the delete your recovery drive ???

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Does this imply 16 gig devices will get the sub8" version that phones get?

The phone version of Windows 10 is going to be different from what we'll be getting on small tablets (although the name remains the same). The system requirements stated is strictly meant for the technical preview of Windows 10. The regular Windows 10 will still be available for tablets once the codes are finalized.

Brandon Cummings

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Finally installed the TP on my laptop and its a little too buggy for me to put it on my tablet (if I could). There is still one possibility that could still be an option. Older preview builds have successfully been installed on tablets with a compressed OS. I would believe that installing these older builds on your device will allow you to use windows update to get the new preview build. This is all speculation at this point though.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Compressed OS means your OS boots from a Wimboot image, to save disk space. Try the update via Windows Update.

Most probably Microsoft will support this in later builds or by the time the final build rolls out

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
You could try installing the preview to a bootable USB drive via WinToUSB, boot from that drive using your tablet, set everything up then delete some stuff while you're in the external OS to free up space, duplicate that drive to your internal drive, boot from internal drive.

I haven't tried it & not 100% sure it'll work, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett