Jan TP Update and Intel graphics - Read this first

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
On a page describing the Jan update and how it works with the Surface MS describes issues with the Intel graphics drivers. They mention to update to .4079 or newer.

Here is a link to Intel for version .4080 which was released a week or so ago. I suggest doing this first.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=3719

I just did this on my SP3 and it is a manual update. First, download the zip version and extract the files somewhere. From device manager select the display adapter select update the driver. From the next dialog box select "Browse my computer..." From the next dialog select "Let me pick..." , select "have a disk" and then browse to the folder where you extracted the download and pick the "graphics" subfolder. There is an .inf file there called idglh64.inf. Pick this and away you go. Doesn't even require a reboot although I recommend one before installing the TP.

Here is a link to specific things with the SP3 and the newest TP release. They mention the video driver should be at .4079 or later amongst other issues with some sleep functions.
Microsoft Surface | Windows 10 January Technical Preview | Install Windows 10 Tech Preview

I haven't yet done the Win 10 upgrade yet, but the graphics are working fine.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I actually had a crash yesterday on my lenovo T530 with intel graphics HD 4000 on the 9879 build so might want to look in to upgrading that driver as well before install.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just installed TP on my SP3 right from the install link without having to manually install graphics drivers. I did upgrade from Windows 8 Pro though.

​Things are working great, I'm not getting any crashes or warnings about graphics drivers that I was getting yesterday on the previous build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon