just installed January TP on SP3

Juan Stevens

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I use my SP3 mostly as a tablet. Ouch. Painful. I waited for continuum, etc. since I do use my Sp3 more as a tablet than desktop. I thought they would have more tablet access. It really seems they were hell bent on removing all ease that 8.1 gave touch devices. Sigh.

I maybe should have at least waited for Spartan. Browsing is painful. I miss the favorites, tabs, and address bar at the bottom for easy touch access. Playing video in IE keeps crashing the browser.

And I actually really miss the charms bar, I had quick access to screen brightness etc.

I wont talk about OneDrive without the previews. We all know that's depressing.

I'll adapt to the start menu.

Really considering reinstalling 8.1. I won't rush the decision and will give it a few more days but so far....

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I did the same. In addition to the above, some of my issues:

- No way to get rid of the taskbar while using apps or on the Start Screen in tablet mode.

- Snap function seems to be a little worse (this may just be me). But, the windows are too large. Tweetium now takes up 40% of the screen as opposed to the previous 20% in W8.1. Hopefully, this will be changed and allow you to modify window size. It also looks like if I go away from the snapped windows or into multitasking view, I have to resnap windows each and every time I come back.

- I don't like the single file vertical all apps on the left of the Start Screen. Hopefully, if they decide to keep this, they implement the jump letters. Preferably, they should allow it to be hidden/removed.

- No way, currently, to use swipes to dismiss apps in the multitasking view. It's either hit the X or nothing. You also cannot slide them into snap mode.

Otherwise, it seems stable enough. But, I'll be providing feedback to MS and hopefully we can fix/change some of these issues.

mdb17

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I installed it on my surface pro 3 and uninstalled it 20 minutes later. It just wasn't smooth or ready to be a primary is yet.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
All you who updated to January TP: Can you still open apps? I can't open these unless I remove Intel HD drivers and go back to the Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I am running it and it works good. Haven't installed all my office and stuff yet but os smooth once you get the graphics driver corrected. Sucks Microsoft hasn't updated their driver yet.

prosimian

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So far I agree with you. The tablet mode is basically gone. I don't dig the new start screen at all. Decent enough as a start menu, but as soon as it's full screen it just isn't as nice as the old start screen. Hope we get some layout options when it goes GA.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I installed the latest build on my XPS 12 convertible for testing since I recently upgraded to SP3 and agree that the touch navigation is basically non-existent. I have a hard time believing that this is Microsoft intention and think they started addressing the desktop issues first and are going to be phasing in the touch aspects of the OS going forward. There is a lot of work though, app switching, loss of charms access for easy settings etc and no modern IE makes touch or tablet mode fairly useless.

Abdul9

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was already feeling stupid for no finding the modern ie. Thats the one I have been using as my primary browser in 8.1 but now that its gone I have gone to my old browser cos desktop ie needs to much resources.

mdb17

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I really wished when I swiped to close apps it would could back to the full screen start menu when I am in tablet mode and not the desktop. It's a tablet the desktop is just a bunch of black space!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo