Windows 10 tech preview, what could I lose?

Captainbluebanana

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Im kinda skeptical about downloading windows 10 on my PC, I just dont wana lose everything. I have had previews on my phone since black update. But I just wana see what could happen and if its common. Thanks in advance :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the phone previews are nothing like this tech preview. those were final code.

this preview, and the February phone preview are more beta code.

worst case scenario, your computer spontaneously combusts.
regardless, have a complete backup at the ready if you take the plunge.

if you have to ask though, i recommend you don't touch it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not for primary machines... Although many are doing just that. If you can't back up and revert then don't attempt the Tech Preview.

If you can't accept loosing all your new data and being forced to revert anyway and start clean with your old OS then don't even let the thought cross your mind that you'll try it.

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I have my own question about this I hope you don't mind... Would it be better to use a virtual machine or dual boot the Windows 10 tech preview? Does either case run a risk of losing everything?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have my own question about this I hope you don't mind... Would it be better to use a virtual machine or dual boot the Windows 10 tech preview? Does either case run a risk of losing everything?

In either of those scenarios you would only loose the portion of the hard drive that hosts the VMware or Win 10 partition.

Obviously a dedicated partition will run better than a Virtualization. If you are comfortable partitioning a hard drive and setting up a dual boot option, that would probably be a great scenario... Caveat: I would not expect a secondary partition to become my primary OS and be moved to the front of the drive when Windows 10 goes public release. I'd want a clean install on a freshly formatted drive... But that's just me. Many find such "short cuts" and workarounds acceptable. If you do format your HDD and install the Win 10 public release as a clean install, you could still use back ups of data and that minimizes your risks quite substantially. It just makes it work intensive on your end.

The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I was able to dual boot, seems to be pretty stable to me, just dont like the UI yet, the icons in the task bar are too small, Cortana's (search box) UI is kinda glitchy looking. Also the new icons for folders and file explorer dont look good either (they took a step back from the file explorer icon in the earlier builds).

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I was able to dual boot, seems to be pretty stable to me, just dont like the UI yet, the icons in the task bar are too small, Cortana's (search box) UI is kinda glitchy looking. Also the new icons for folders and file explorer dont look good either (they took a step back from the file explorer icon in the earlier builds).

Ya, the UI has a lot of work to go. A LOT.

But the Spartan leak we saw seem to show a more polished task bar UI, so hopefully it will improve over the next few months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss