Continuum doesn't work

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Got the technical preview installed on my ThinkPad Yoga but unfortunately Continuum does not do a single thing. No automatic tablet mode when I folks the laptop into tablet mode :(

sakai135

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, yes, since the OEM needs to provide an update for the auto-switch to work. Surface is the only hardware that currently has it. In the mean time, enjoy the face that you can manually switch modes.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The current build does have continuum but only for Surface tablets. OEMs need to provide and update to make it work for their hardware.

That's a shame, I would have thought a simple keyboard detection would have sufficed. I mean the keyboard disabled when flipped so surely MS could implement that without individual OEMs doing it

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's a shame, I would have thought a simple keyboard detection would have sufficed. I mean the keyboard disabled when flipped so surely MS could implement that without individual OEMs doing it

No, it's drivers for the hardware that tells the OS that a keyboard is detached. It needs OEM implementation.

makona23

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I think they should put an option to force a desktop in continuum. That would be great for desktops that will converted to kiosk.

4ny0n3

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess I've been using my terms wrong. Continuum is being able to switch modes "seamlessly" whereas I was talking about enable tablet mode on PC. Right?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I guess I've been using my terms wrong. Continuum is being able to switch modes "seamlessly" whereas I was talking about enable tablet mode on PC. Right?

I guess that depends on what Continuum is exactly. Tom Warren and Daniel Rubino were disagreeing on what exactly it meant, whether it was the ability to switch or whether it was the auto change ability.

To answer it in a different way, you can change a desktop PC to tablet mode, but it requires OEM implementation to do it automatically. How you define Continuum determines the answer to your question.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If by tablet mode you are referring to Continuum then yes, you can force a desktop into tablet mode although why you would want to is my next question. If you want a true tablet mode then you'll need Windows 10 RT and an ARM tablet.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Do you have access to documentation which says continuum needs OEM support? It would have been lot easier to toggle modes by detecting a mouse or a trackpad.

Do you have a Surface Pro and can confirm that Continuum works in the current build?

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
People making this more complicated then it is. If you have a Desktop PC then Desktop mode is the default but you can switch to tablet mode you want. For instance, if you have a touch screen monitor you might want to do that. If you have a tablet then the default is tablet mode but you can switch to desktop if you want. But only on tablets 8in or larger. If you have a 2 in 1 then have continuum. When you switch to laptop mode it will prompt you do you want to switch to desktop. When you switch to tablet mode it will prompt you do you want to switch to tablet. Or it could switch automatically in either case. How continuum works, however, is up to the OEM.

As far as continuum in this Tech Preview only Surface tablets are supported right now because it's up to OEMs to provide the drivers. This may come in later updates and will certainly be ready by official release.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
People making this more complicated then it is. If you have a Desktop PC then Desktop mode is the default but you can switch to tablet mode you want. For instance, if you have a touch screen monitor you might want to do that. If you have a tablet then the default is tablet mode but you can switch to desktop if you want. But only on tablets 8in or larger. If you have a 2 in 1 then have continuum. When you switch to laptop mode it will prompt you do you want to switch to desktop. When you switch to tablet mode it will prompt you do you want to switch to tablet. Or it could switch automatically in either case. How continuum works, however, is up to the OEM.

As far as continuum in this Tech Preview only Surface tablets are supported right now because it's up to OEMs to provide the drivers. This may come in later updates and will certainly be ready by official release.

It is, actually complicated.

I have a 10 inch tablet. I never connect a keyboard or mouse to it. However, windows 10 uses desktop mode. I have to manually switch to tablet modd, even then after a reboot it switches back to desktop mode.

It is complicated because it is buggy. It is buggy because it is Beta. That is why we are cribbing on forums.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I have a 10 inch tablet. I never connect a keyboard or mouse to it. However, windows 10 uses desktop mode. I have to manually switch to tablet modd, even then after a reboot it switches back to desktop mode.

It is complicated because it is buggy. It is buggy because it is Beta. That is why we are cribbing on forums.

Still not complicated. It's buggy like you said. So go tell MS. In the mean while manually switch to tablet mode like you've been doing.
See. Simple.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

That right there is the answer to why it won't work the way you want it to, it's not a beta it's a Tech Preview so as JamesDax3 said you need to provide Microsoft with feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos