Windows 10 Disk Space and download problems

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday I tried to upgrade my Surface Pro 3 from 8.1 to 10 Downloaded the Upgrade EXE from the Insider Program. It started working but then all of a sudden it said I didn't have enough disk space left. So I freed up enough disk space and tried again today. But as soon as it starts downloading Windows 10 via Windows Update, it halves my available disk space and it eventually stops downloading.

I used SP3 8.1 Recovery Image a few days ago and made sure everything was very clean so it can't have any errors due to using 8.1 for a long time 'cause I haven't.

How to solve this issue?

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Very helpful comment... not.

It automatically halves my available space when it starts to download the update. I have almost no apps, just a couple of Modern UI apps which take up a few 100 MB, and not any local file on the SSD so there's nothing that should be in the way but for some reason the update decides to halve the space and then complains it doesn't have enough space.

How do you suggest I clean up more space when there's nothing to clean (because of almost no apps and no local files) anymore?

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I didn't try that. That should probably work, but I figured since I have almost no apps or files and this is a really clean install, it should just work with upgrading. Guess I was wrong. I may try the ISO then.

misterff1

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't try that. That should probably work, but I figured since I have almost no apps or files and this is a really clean install, it should just work with upgrading. Guess I was wrong. I may try the ISO then.
Yeah it's best to do a clean install anyway. This latest build can be buggy when you just upgrade it

mdb17

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
You said you did a recovery, do you still have the windows.old folder by any chance that is taking up space?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)