Hard drive destroyed after Windows 10, anyone else?

oviloves

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I loved Windows 7, and ran my computer for many good years, along with my Seagate external hard drives... never a problem UNTIL Windows 10. Now I am experiencing great loss... things that no amount of money could EVER replace. I cannot image a company such as Microsoft destroying the memories of so many loyal supporters. I feel very sad for them.

Last edited:

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I can't explain it, but I have not had any of the experiences being discussed regarding hard drives. And I have been using Windows 10 for sometime. Except for the surface pro 4 I bought which already had W10 installed, all my other computers are windows 10 upgrades

Parsival

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I have had this same issue. I have changed hardware fresh installs on hardware. My WD drive was the first drive so I bought a brand new Seagate. Still problems. The western digital is working fine without errors as the boot drive in another system (windows 7). I downloaded seagate diagnostic utilities before it got stuck in the recovery boot loop and the drive tested fine. Windows has run 24-7 for 3 weeks and then the drive gets corrupted. Luckily I don't have anything important on it anymore. Extremely pissed at this point.

180pilot

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
My recent effort to install Windows 10 upgrade to my win 7 laptop ended in disaster..

The machine will not boot to either OS now, only to the repair utilities of both win 10 and 7. Neither of which can repair the damage. I believe the only way to repair the SSD is to remove it and put in usb enclosure attached to my good win 7 laptop and then use some data recover software repair tool on it.

Using diskpart in command.exe, in the repair utility, on damaged machine, I can see that the upgrade tried to reformat the drive causing the D volume to go RAW, it removed most of the C volume and started another partition, “E”.
I’m now waiting for the manufacturer to send me all the, recovery and installation disks for this laptop, as I did not get them with original purchase. But, I don’t believe they will run on damaged machine, as I’ve tried to boot machine from Linux disk to look at files, and the DVD must be effected by the upgrade’s damage too, as it will not boot.

Add: Got recovery disks from Fujitsu, they do not boot.
As of course they only look for the OS installed on what used to be the hidden partition which Win 10 has screwed with I believe.. Will need full licensed Win 7 disk.

BTW in three conversations with Fujitsu techs, who could not help me, they all informed me that Fujitsu does not recommend win 10 upgrade to their machines....Now they tell me.....

Last edited:

180pilot

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Pulled SSD from damaged machine and put in usb enclosure to good PC. Read with Disk manager, this is what Win 10 upgrade did to the partitions. Before the upgrade there was one hidden partition, a C and a D:

Bad drive read with Disk Manager.jpg

Ordered an external usb DVD drive to see if Factory Restore disks will work to re-install Win 7 Pro to new larger SSD in damaged Machine. Fujitsu keeps telling these disks have Win 7 install on them??? Don't know if I believe any of them at this point..

Djalmar

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have problems with my external hard drives, when installing the aniversary update, any one with the same problem ?

plappin

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
The C drive on my husband's computer survived the installation of Windows 10. However, Windows just sent out an update that made the C drive at least "look" completely empty. Can boot to DOS but can't find any files, let alone the operating system. Don't think it's the hard drive or cable since its happening to at least more than one machine. My feeling is that Windows "broke it"--so where do we go from here.

Also, when I installed Windows 10, it created an unformatted partition with all my extra disk space in it. Right now, because of that, my free space on my C drive is only 1.7 GB which generally can't even load a program. The remaining space is stuck in the extra partition that Windows created. We formatted the partition but the space is not recognized as part of the C drive so it is basically useless at this time.

I HOPE someone from Microsoft is making note of these really, really, REALLY major issues with their software.

Any help would be appreciated.

TD Bauer

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Wow, have the same problem. Computer is only a year old. Worked perfectly until I updated with the Windows 10 Anniversary...
My computer boots fine, but after a little while if getting into some work or whatever I am doing the screen goes black then acts like it is canning for something then it displays some info in regards to "no boot filename received... reboot or select proper boot device".

I checked my cables and all are good. I have restarted and have done various scans on the hard drive and all is good there too, no bad sectors... but then after a little while the same black screen pops up and the above message is always the same. I reverted back to build 1511 and it is fine... no problems. So something in the new update is messing stuff up.

New here, but wanted to share this with everybody.

Randy Rorschach

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Wow, have the same problem. Computer is only a year old. Worked perfectly until I updated with the Windows 10 Anniversary...
My computer boots fine, but after a little while if getting into some work or whatever I am doing the screen goes black then acts like it is canning for something then it displays some info in regards to "no boot filename received... reboot or select proper boot device".

I checked my cables and all are good. I have restarted and have done various scans on the hard drive and all is good there too, no bad sectors... but then after a little while the same black screen pops up and the above message is always the same. I reverted back to build 1511 and it is fine... no problems. So something in the new update is messing stuff up.

New here, but wanted to share this with everybody.

This is basically my story. Gonna try installing previous build also.

Brian Elsen

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Im in IT and have been replacing hard drives left and right, all from Windows 10 machines, its what prompted me to search the topic. I wish i knew what was going on

rupert heine

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I am onboard for a class action lawsuit.
Lost all my text files, including some that were needed for legal action I am pursuing against local hospital.
Also lost my internal WiFi thingus and had to buy a USB external one.
All my problems happened immediately after installing Win 10.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've upgrade 6 machines over the course of time and not one has failed after the upgrade and several have been running since release.
Basic backup:
Backup all files in Documents Desktop and settings for user
Best is to take a real drive image or use a more formal backup program

I have, in fact, had far more Apple devices brick than Windows ones and along with others in support have logged a pretty high number of upgrades. But even Apple takes more grief on that front than they should. Most of their devices update properly as well. Oh and they don't always replace devices bricked by their updates as I got to find out the hard way.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure if Windows 10 is the cause but my Dell laptop has now hard two hard drives fail in succession. I am getting it replaced again.

PeeWeePeePee

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 has ****ed 1 harddrive of mine, had to buy a new SSD. Also ****ed up an SD card and a USB thumb drive. I went back to 7. I just plugged an external harddrive in a friends computer to copy some files. My harddrive is now ****ed, he has windows 10. Sooooo bad!!! It's bad coding, it creates a write only error which cannot be reverted or repaired with windows, linux or forensic software. Just permanently destroyed.
----------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I was just wondering where you heard that term: "write only error"? It's interesting that there are 0 hits on Google search. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued because I'm noticing a coincidence of "bricked' Seagate DM-series hard drives showing up right after upgrading to Windows 10.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Whaaatt.....the software shouldn't "damage" a hard drive ,now it could screw up the boot sector/or os....but you would just have to reinstall the os....defiantly backup important files before you install win 10 in the first place

yessum0

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm a professional and own a computer repair company. I've had to tell 6 customers in the last 8 days to buy a new computer. This seems to only affect machines mostly pre windows 10 release. The drives can be fixed outside of windows 10 and some cannot simply because in both windows 8 and 10 the superfetch services and search etc and a couple of other culprits are spinning those disks up to 100% almost constantly. This makes the machines behave like a virus since you have to wait for the 100% use to drop long enough to allow you to click something etc. I believe for truly failed drives this is due to years worth of spinning in a short manner of time. I'm only saying these things to sound pragmatic but I'm truly p.o.ed . We clean up these machines and tune them where the Processor usage is constantly at 0% (in the past processors cranked up to 100% with viruses etc or too many services and all the memory would fill up). Now after service everything is perfect and we still have the lags and delays only to find the DISK USAGE constantly hitting 100%. As we try and find culprits such as superfetch the system starts to become a sinking ship, ultimately leading to a BSOD or nowadays "Diagnosing your computer". We are getting messages about disk being damaged, and running chkdsk etc always runs clean. For us, we want in on the class action suit because now we are spending days and sometimes weeks dealing with pretty standard repairs. We have always been flat fee so this has driven our business almost to a point where I want to close the shop after 9 years of success. I'm considering converting my counter to a belly up air rifle shooting gallery with PCs and laptops as targets. Most of my customers agree.
I've noticed in some cases a windows update has trashed the volumes, sent the boot drive into RAW format, .... you name it. We pride ourselves on fixing systems as is without refresh etc for years so customers are not left with having to re-install all of their software and printers and setup all their accounts again so this is why we have really suffered time wise. To spend upwards beyond 10 hours only to end up with all of what you have trying to get paid a mere 150 flat fee.
Hell, the reason why the anniversary update can't complete since june of 2016 on machines that were upgraded to 10 is because the partition windows 7 creates was around 100mb. During windows ten anniversary update, failing daily for users is because that hidden drive needs to be 400mb. So the update can't resize that partition and fails. No log file as to that cause.
Our latest folly is a lot of toshiba users, have their function keys reversing with no way to put it to rights in some cases. The cause ..... windows update and a synaptic touchpad driver. The solution....uninstall and reboot, but then..... windows update reinstalls the driver. And you can't stop it.
This windows 10 is nothing but spyware and an advertising basket of hell. Sorry, I am venting.
I would love to be part of this suit if you figure out a way to do that.
Go to windows 7. If you have trouble with websites saying your browsers aren't supported, install avast antivirus and they include a modern updated browser that can handle banking etc even on a windows xp machine.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@yessum0, first and foremost Welcome to Windows Central! Hope you stick around! As I'll be glad to have you with us.

I like your writing, it's very informative, detailed, and has a lot of your personal experiences!

Windows 10... well... Windows 10 isn't always perfect, it isn't as reliable as Windows 7 or XP to some, its spyware to most, but I think W10 isn't that bad... it's a great all-around build for security and stability IMO!

yessum0

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Well I still find Windows 10 to be a Marketers dream for direct access to users. I say out loud "I hurt my toenail" and within an hour I have an email offering me toenail repair!! N.W.0. Baby.
I'm usually pragmatic about things, but after such a frustrating few weeks I needed to vent in the previous post and make outrageous remarks of an angry person. On that note, the day after, the last of the machines that were disk spinning at 100% almost constantly, I gave it one more try. prior to this, in the case of this machine I knew the component core was corrupt. The tools provided by windows 10 to fix such things were pretty much lunacy or in other words "oxyMoronish" . /restoreHealth only returned "component store is corrupt". Well yeah duh!! That's what this tool is for. We ran these tools using windows10 installation cd's since those are good images etc etc. Just a circular loop of B.S. Eventually, I used the tool "Rufus" and formatted a usb stick from a windows 10 iso matching the installation on the afflicted machine. Since all provided tools failed, including "refresh-keep my files" "refresh-delete all" ..... all possible provided techniques, I decided screw it, I've already backed up user files, I ran the fresh install from the usb stick, used the "Upgrade" option and overwrote the windows 10 installation whilst preserving all user files and all user software. In this case, it worked. aka. in-place-upgrade.
This last KB update finally installed and the machine showed no more hangs.
The lesson here.....like older versions of windows, you can still succeed with an "in place upgrade" install without demolishing user files and having to leave customer re-installing software as with the "refresh" options in recovery console. I would recommend users not to use "refresh keep my files" since most of the time it fails, and it also removes any software that didn't originally come with the machine. The in place upgrade keeps everything.

yessum0

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
@PeeWeePeePee This reminds me of Vista, in many cases never a problem, in many other cases, nothing but problems. Line up 6 identical machines with vista, identical issues, and end up with 6 different solutions for the same problem.!! I have to concede, when "we" did the upgrades we haven't seen those machines again. We are under the habit of performing a very aggressive tuneup before the upgrade, and ensuring every possible windows update to the previous windows version was performed, then did the upgrade to windows 10. Those machines don't come back. Apples... ugh ... Love the dumb design of putting a power button on a keyboard which usually breaks before anything else. Now all the manufacturers are doing this. Gee, I can't start my computer using a power button since the keyboard bricked. Love the 105 rivets on the keyboard too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb