Adblocker for IE?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
So along with the TP, I'm using IE on a PC for the first time in about 10 years (went to Firefox in 2004, never looked back). Loving the speed so far, but goodness there's a lot of ads everywhere..Who knew there were sponsored trending hashtags on Twitter? :shrug: One really gets spoiled by Adblock...

Unfortunately, looking in the Add-ons section of IE, the only references to Adblock are regarding anti-tracking.

I'd love to give IE a full try, because it really has become a great browser from what I can tell so far...but the ads are already driving me loco.

Is there anything like Adblock for IE?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not looking for tracking protection...I'm looking for eyeball protection. I want to not see the six ads on this page that wouldn't be there if I were using Firefox.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not looking for tracking protection...I'm looking for eyeball protection. I want to not see the six ads on this page that wouldn't be there if I were using Firefox.
That is exactly what the tracking protection lists are doing. they take the same lists ad block plus takes(since you can subscribe to them there) and even doesn't load them - rather than adblock plus blocking them after they have been loaded. THe only thing TPL cant do is right clicking and blocking banners that are not yet listed in for example easylist

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Also if you wanna go a step further, disable Flash via desktop version of IE. YouTube & most other video sites will revert to H264/mobile playback. The reason I do this is because there are a LOT of flash based ads & animations all over the web that I don't want to see, that also slows down performance.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I use combination of these. Block ads through host file like someone already mentioned above. IE's Tracking Protection List with Easylist Standard or use Adblock Plus program for IE. Spybot Search & Destroy can immune the browser with host file. Spywareblaster has option to disable Adobe Flash.

Last edited:

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
sure. cant wait so spam my host file full of those. Why don't block them straight on your network router:)

Because A: Very few routers allow this. And B: You'd have to flash your router with a 3rd party firmware that did. If you want to go through the steps here for people, then be my guest. But I've done it before & it aint easy/could potentially brick your router, so its def not for a novice.

And I've been "spamming" my host files on my PCs, rooted Android devices, etc for years now & never had a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss