01-30-2015 01:54 AM
105 1234 ...
tools
    But I did, was your short attention span interfering with your ability to read ? Pretty clear I am sharing here.
    you are sharing things that are actually not issues, but things that are temporarily missing from this build and Microsoft has said they're being worked on. You are wasting everybody's time because of your low IQ, congrats.
    01-25-2015 07:09 AM
    you are sharing things that are actually not issues, but things that are temporarily missing from this build and Microsoft has said they're being worked on. You are wasting everybody's time because of your low IQ, congrats.
    No I am only wasting your time. Funny you took the trouble to post about my supposedly low IQ. I am sure hoping you don't think you would insult me.

The feature this thread is about isn't coming back, it is in the process of completely being removed from the code base, the writing is quite clearly on the wall.

I understand you fail to see it, so just ignore this thread and do something more worthwhile with your time, whatever that might be. Thanks in advance.
    01-25-2015 07:21 AM
    Bringing this up here really has no use and is pointless. Send your feedback to MSFT through the insider app, that's what it is for.

I do agree it looks like MSFT has surrendered to the WIN8 nay sayers and is in the process of salvaging what it can from their initial vision instead of building on it. We'll have to see if the people who understood and embraced their vision will now be coming out and let them know.

Personally I can work either way so am not to bothered, but I can see where this is coming from.
    01-25-2015 09:10 AM
    Bringing this up here really has no use and is pointless. Send your feedback to MSFT through the insider app, that's what it is for.

I do agree it looks like MSFT has surrendered to the WIN8 nay sayers and is in the process of salvaging what it can from their initial vision instead of building on it. We'll have to see if the people who understood and embraced their vision will now be coming out and let them know.

Personally I can work either way so am not to bothered, but I can see where this is coming from.
    Good suggestion and I'll follow it. Is the Insider app an universal app?
    01-25-2015 09:29 AM
    I think that with this build they pushed a lot of new features, and with the next build they'll tweak them more. We got a lot of new toys to play with, but I think the previous build were more reliable and mature. This is, for me, the first Windows 10 build. The previous ones were 8.1 with tweaks, which was good for daily use, but that's it.

Sadly, I don't trust MS to actually use the feedback. I'm using W10 daily, and I do give feedback via the app, but I don't think it'll matter. The "One Drive" placeholders issue made it clear.

I think it's a new Start Menu, not like the one in 8.1 and that's why it can't transform into the start screen. Maybe it'll be able to do so in later builds, don't count on it. Count on a 3rd party utility to add this feature later on :)

So my laptop is barley working, all of the my start screen layout was gone after the upgrade to 9926, store is buggy and more Win32 apps are getting killed (Calc), but I enjoy it. Beta testing is fun, it's just too bad what W10 is shaping to be.
    01-25-2015 09:33 AM

I naturally used the feedback procedure, so that's covered. Now as to this being pointless, what exactly is the purpose of both this forum and the tech preview in the first place if regressions like this cannot be discussed ? It really boggles the mind.

What should this forum be used for do you think, I thought it was precisely for threads like these.
    01-25-2015 10:45 AM
    You should follow your own advice.
    I know this Off topic, but I LOVE your FIR Avatar!!
    01-25-2015 10:51 AM
    If they do remove the start screen in the Final Build, I'm going to be very sad.
    Blkacesvf41 likes this.
    01-25-2015 10:52 AM
    Me too! I have the bad vibe and premonition that this build 9926 is the beginning of the end of the Modern UI. The old school refused-to-change desktop-loving camp have the upper hand with Microsoft at the moment. This Windows 10 build 9926 is not good, not good at all for tablet/hybrid form factors.
    sjaak327 likes this.
    01-25-2015 01:19 PM
    Just in case nobody said this, the start menu has a maximize button to make it a start screen.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    01-25-2015 01:34 PM
    Yes, but it's not the same as the old Start screen. For PCs it might be fine, but on a tablet I find it a bit odd to use.
    01-25-2015 01:55 PM
    Just in case nobody said this, the start menu has a maximize button to make it a start screen.
    Even the OP mentioned it, guess you didn't read it. And no that button merely maximizes the start menu, it isn't anything like the start screen, but hell that was exactly what the OP was all about..
    01-25-2015 02:05 PM
    Even the OP mentioned it, guess you didn't read it.
    It was a bit long.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    01-25-2015 02:09 PM
    It was a bit long.
    Lol. Nah it was only a few paragraphs.
    01-25-2015 02:13 PM
    They're not getting rid of the start menu, they're changing it.
    01-25-2015 02:16 PM
    They're not getting rid of the start menu, they're changing it.
    Nope, they have removed both the resizeable start menu and the option to use the start screen instead and have created a new start menu. The regedit key discussed a few posts back confirms this. They might revert back, but I have little faith they actually will.

They aren't changing the start menu that was in previous builds, they created a new one. They supposedly are going to add features back to this new start menu. The problem with that is, that the start screen in previous builds (and in Windows 8/1) is heaps better, so why re-create it instead of just leaving the code in there for us to use.

Now the registry key will bring the old startmenu /screen back, but I bet that in a few builds that key won't do anything since by then Microsoft will have removed the code from the code base, and effectively forcing this down our throats. Deja vu ! (as in they made the exact same error with the release of Windows 8, clearly showing they haven't learned their lesson, a recipe for disaster).
    01-25-2015 02:29 PM
    Just Install classic shell which has been updated for windows 10 and be done with microsoft crap
    01-25-2015 02:32 PM
    Am I the only one who noticed that the Live Tiles portion of the new start menu, with its up and down scroll, now works more like my Windows Phone? Seems like a good thing to me. I hope at some point the tile resize uses the little pointy arrows as on phone instead of having to select from a menu.

I am also certain (as certain as the OP is that it's gone for good) that we will see the Win 8.1 style start screen again as an option. Or the new start menu configurable to scroll sideways. Or something that works better and makes sense. As pointed out ad infinitum, it's not a finished product, they are rebuilding that part a new way and it's not all there yet. I for one am very pleased with what they are doing, with all its flaws.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    01-25-2015 02:53 PM
    Nope, they have removed both the resizeable start menu and the option to use the start screen instead and have created a new start menu. The regedit key discussed a few posts back confirms this. They might revert back, but I have little faith they actually will.

They aren't changing the start menu that was in previous builds, they created a new one. They supposedly are going to add features back to this new start menu. The problem with that is, that the start screen in previous builds (and in Windows 8/1) is heaps better, so why re-create it instead of just leaving the code in there for us to use.

Now the registry key will bring the old startmenu /screen back, but I bet that in a few builds that key won't do anything since by then Microsoft will have removed the code from the code base, and effectively forcing this down our throats. Deja vu ! (as in they made the exact same error with the release of Windows 8, clearly showing they haven't learned their lesson, a recipe for disaster).
    I'm using a full screen start screen on my SP3 running the latest tech preview...
    01-25-2015 02:58 PM
    I'm using a full screen start screen on my SP3 running the latest tech preview...
    Assuming you just hit the maximize button to get the start menu in full screen (which is extensively described in the OP) this is nothing like the start experience in Windows 8 and hasn't been changed, it has been replaced. For now one can get the real start screen back using the registry key described a few posts back, but unless Microsoft has change of heart (which is the purpose of this thread) that one will be removed and replaced with something that even with extensive changed will not fly on a tablet. Just look at the left side to see what I am talking about.
    01-25-2015 03:17 PM
    Assuming you just hit the maximize button to get the start menu in full screen (which is extensively described in the OP) this is nothing like the start experience in Windows 8 and hasn't been changed, it has been replaced. For now one can get the real start screen back using the registry key described a few posts back, but unless Microsoft has change of heart (which is the purpose of this thread) that one will be removed and replaced with something that even with extensive changed will not fly on a tablet. Just look at the left side to see what I am talking about.
    Nope, using it in tablet mode. It works well on my tablet.
    01-25-2015 03:19 PM
    Nope, using it in tablet mode. It works well on my tablet.
    I am sure it does, I personally think it is a downright disaster.

Just for comparison the start screen and the new start screen both running on build 9926:

The first one is great, the second one a downright disaster.
    Attached Thumbnails start1.jpg   start2.png  
    robinleck likes this.
    01-25-2015 03:26 PM
    I am sure it does, I personally think it is a downright disaster.

Just for comparison the start screen and the new start screen both running on build 9926:

The first one is great, the second one a downright disaster.
    ​ I really don't see how it's a disaster. Is it because you prefer to scroll sideways?
    01-25-2015 03:33 PM
    ​ I really don't see how it's a disaster. Is it because you prefer to scroll sideways?
    Among other things yes, for other reasons I would like to refer to the OP, it's all in there.

To summarize, the vertical scrolling, no inline search and the useless stuff on the left that is way to tiny for my fingers (and I have small fingers).

The main probem here is that Microsoft is determined to throw everything that made 8.1 a great tablet OS away. It's not just the start screen, it's the task switching, the charms bar and the full screen experience, that all are gone from this build. Not to mention the sorry replacement for the all apps list.

They are clearly heading in the wrong direction and are making the exact same mistakes they did when they introduced Windows 8.

There is no reason to rip out perfectly functioning code, they don't need to reinvent the wheel, they have other avenues to please the desktop crowd, without alienating the tablet crowd.

Remember, they claim this OS can run on various different form factors, and that they want to get people to love Windows. How could a tablet user love Windows as it is now, the way they are going it won't approach Windows 8.1 not even close. Leave the stuff in and change the desktop, it's hardly rocket science.
    01-25-2015 03:38 PM
    How about an option to put own wallpaper, makes big difference
    01-25-2015 03:54 PM
105 1234 ...