Start Screen option removed WHY ?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
No idea, I never wanted to. Is this supposed to make removal of choice seem justified, if it is, you might want to try a little harder.

I don't get it, does it personally hurt you when people like me are getting choice ?

​You stated that Microsoft always let you go back. I'm calling you out on your incorrect statement. Also, I'd rather they focus their resources as much as possible. Would you rather have two buggy solutions or one working one?

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
​You stated that Microsoft always let you go back. I'm calling you out on your incorrect statement. Also, I'd rather they focus their resources as much as possible. Would you rather have two buggy solutions or one working one?

I did mention XP specifically which I believe was indeed correct. Also I remember there definitely where options to change the startmenu to resembe the one that was in NT5 in both Vista and 7. I don't understand your desire to take this off topic to be honest, it achieves nothing at all.

I don't like buggy solutions, and in fact the feature I want back isn't buggy at all, it is working code used by millions each and every day. Maybe the point of this thread might be that one working solution isn't possible and maybe I am desperately trying to point this out. In any case, they don't need to waste resources on code that is already in the product now do they.

But to be honest, if they offer me the choice, I couldn't care less about how much they mess up the current iteration, as some poster said earlier, they could make it sing halleluja for all I care.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
There is no need to put anything in caps, we are not idiots and are perfectly aware of what you trying to say. What is the purpose of a tech preview if we cannot discuss and criticise the actual builds. Should I put this in caps so that you might understand ?

Really getting tired at the misplaced captain Obvious stuff. The purpose of a tech preview is to discuss the direction the software is going.

Waiting for the final product completely makes any tech preview useless and pointless.

Come back if you grasp the concept of a tech preview as envisioned by Microsoft.

​Discuss and criticize. Is that what's going on here? Because it looks like a bunch of ******** and crying to me. You guys are behaving like that this is indeed a final product and the MS has betrayed you. MS put and app in this build specifically for you to give feedback about what you like and don't . USE IT!!

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
​Discuss and criticize. Is that what's going on here? Because it looks like a bunch of ******** and crying to me. You guys are behaving like that this is indeed a final product and the MS has betrayed you. MS put and app in this build specifically for you to give feedback about what you like and don't . USE IT!!

I used the APP, so now you are saying I cannot additionally post a thread on here to discuss ? I seem to remember this being a forum and the section this thread is in seems to be called "Windows 10 tech preview".

Strange, a forum where people aren't allowed to discuss the subject at hand.

Again, if you don't like it, ignore it and let other people discuss.

By the way, I am not behaving like this is the final product, but I do see and discussed the direction in which they seem to be going.

But I am guessing the last line will go right over your head and the other people screaming IT ISN"T FINAL. So utterly stupid and useless.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I did mention XP specifically which I believe was indeed correct. Also I remember there definitely where options to change the startmenu to resembe the one that was in NT5 in both Vista and 7. I don't understand your desire to take this off topic to be honest, it achieves nothing at all.

I don't like buggy solutions, and in fact the feature I want back isn't buggy at all, it is working code used by millions each and every day. Maybe the point of this thread might be that one working solution isn't possible and maybe I am desperately trying to point this out. In any case, they don't need to waste resources on code that is already in the product now do they.

But to be honest, if they offer me the choice, I couldn't care less about how much they mess up the current iteration, as some poster said earlier, they could make it sing halleluja for all I care.

​Nice to know you have the 'as long as I get mine' attitude.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
​Nice to know you have the 'as long as I get mine' attitude.

Haha, I knew you would say that. Let me rephrase, I hope they make that new start menu the best it could possible be, but if given the choice I won't use it, so naturally it's functionality is of no concern to me.

The best thing of all of this is that you and me both are happy. Microsoft, take note, choice is happiness, no choice isn't.

One can dream, the reality quite clearly will be that this new start menu IS my concern as I will likely be forced to use it if I ever decide to upgrade. At least I got until 2023 to consider this or future iterations onto my tablet. Hell by that time my current tablet will have died and I might get an iPad again :)

klose91

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Why the hate? Calm down...
Everybody here knows that it's not a final product, and things aren't working as they should and that they're still playing around with the stuff and that you can get a dancing Steve Ballmer as Windows Logo in the final build. But as sjaak327 said, it's a forum, where you can discuss stuff you discovered in the build that you didn't like since it also shows a direction where MS is heading with the next Windows. So, if you fear that MS will do stupid things, than someone should be able to discuss it, without making such rants on the topic... Yeah, there's a feedback app, but why shouldn't it be okay to make a feedback in the app and then discussing the stuff here?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Why the hate? Calm down...
Everybody here knows that it's not a final product, and things aren't working as they should and that they're still playing around with the stuff and that you can get a dancing Steve Ballmer as Windows Logo in the final build. But as sjaak327 said, it's a forum, where you can discuss stuff you discovered in the build that you didn't like since it also shows a direction where MS is heading with the next Windows. So, if you fear that MS will do stupid things, than someone should be able to discuss it, without making such rants on the topic... Yeah, there's a feedback app, but why shouldn't it be okay to make a feedback in the app and then discussing the stuff here?

​They discussions around here usually have a ton of 'the worst possible thing', so they're less discussions and more rants.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
​I take it you're sticking with Windows 8.1 then?

That depends of course, as long as Microsoft offers me the choice to go back there would be no need to stick with 8.1. but unfortunately it's not only the start screen, there is much more going on here.

As said they seem to be redoing everything that made Windows 8.1 great on tablets, whilst they should focus on making it better for desktop users without throwing everything away and starting over.
I will wait and see, but as I already said the direction they seem to be going coupled with the progress made in four months doesn't make me hopeful.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
​They discussions around here usually have a ton of 'the worst possible thing', so they're less discussions and more rants.
This isn't a rant, this is a thread where I express genuine concern about a product I have loved for over two decades.

I would hope I am allowed to express these concerns, and will ignore the juvenile posts by people who often didn't even bother to read the content.

Disclaimer, I am not referring to you of course.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one around here that thinks the latest build is fantastic? I've spent way more time at my desktop today than I normally do, just trying to soak it all in. Damn it looks good, I haven't been this excited about Windows since the Longhorn builds started leaking back in the day.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one around here that thinks the latest build is fantastic? I've spent way more time at my desktop today than I normally do, just trying to soak it all in. Damn it looks good, I haven't been this excited about Windows since the Longhorn builds started leaking back in the day.

Well on the desktop I have few complaints, but I am also a tablet user, and here the general impression is much less favorable.

kamikaze80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Desktop user here. I love the Start Screen, it's aesthetically pleasing and I can get to my pinned programs and websites quickly, and get info on emails, stocks, etc at a glance. I have lovely background images. It's great. The Start Menu, on the other hand, is a useless, ugly relic.

But there's no more option to use the Start Screen in W10? What happens if a keyboard and mouse guy like me puts Windows in tablet mode?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The difference is 8.1 was a finished product, this is a WORK IN PROGRESS and Microsoft clearly said THE TOUCH STUFF IS NOT FINISHED YET so stop whining that it's unfinished in a pre-release technical preview FFS. You have no business running the TP if you can't even understand that, you're just bogging things down with your uneducated whining and wasting everybody's time.

This is what the preview is, they take away features and build them, put them back in, disable features temporarily. Install Xp and stop whining.

The OP already stated that he's fully aware of this being a tech preview. And he's far from whining - unlike many many many other threads and posts that flood these forums day by day (where's my fookin' denim update? *whimper*). He definitely has some valid points here. And he's asking for options and not to change things to his liking in favor of what others may prefer.
Fact is, yes, this is a tech preview. But Microsoft is even explicitly asking for feedback. Heck, that's the very reason they're even running this public preview. They WANT to know what you consider good and what not. They do want you to use their feedback app(s) of course, but isn't a forum meant for discussing things and finding out if people share your thoughts or not?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Desktop user here. I love the Start Screen, it's aesthetically pleasing and I can get to my pinned programs and websites quickly, and get info on emails, stocks, etc at a glance. I have lovely background images. It's great. The Start Menu, on the other hand, is a useless, ugly relic.

But there's no more option to use the Start Screen in W10? What happens if a keyboard and mouse guy like me puts Windows in tablet mode?

There is an option, but it's a crap option. Gone is the feel of windows 8.1. In the tech preview, you have to interact with the desktop start menu to pin programs to the FAKE start screen.

They're creating something that everyone will despise equally. If they don't get it together soon, this will be a bigger flop than what you think 8.1 was. I love 8.1, won't move to 10 unless they fix the major start screen issues.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have no problem whatsoever with people complaining about what they don't like, or praising what they do like. That is, after all, the reason for the Preview in the first place.

(rant begin)

What is getting on my nerves is the whining that something "is absolute crap and I will go back to something else" based on an obviously unfinished design. Why not just calm down a little bit, try it out, if you don't like it that's fine, it does not mean that Microsoft should fire all their staff, have the top executives killed, and sell off the remaining assets. It just means you don't like it in its current form. By all means say that, leave the appropriate feedback, and patiently wait like the rest of us to see the next build.

(rant over)

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
There is an option, but it's a crap option. Gone is the feel of windows 8.1. In the tech preview, you have to interact with the desktop start menu to pin programs to the FAKE start screen.

They're creating something that everyone will despise equally. If they don't get it together soon, this will be a bigger flop than what you think 8.1 was. I love 8.1, won't move to 10 unless they fix the major start screen issues.
Slow down now.... I wouldn't call that option complete crap! The more hands on videos I watch, the more I'm coming around to thinking that isn't as bad as I initially thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077