No shadows under windows in Windows 10 Technical Preview

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
So I installed Windows 10 on my laptop (dual booting with 8.1) and I've noticed that I get the regular Windows chrome (ugly borders) instead of the beautiful drop shadows they show in each demo.

I checked in System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Performance and turned on everything there but still no shadows.

No-Shadows.png

Any ideas what's causing the problem?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It is called a Technical Preview for a reason. I think that (and all the disclaimers on the Windows Insider page) pretty much sums up the problem. I am sorry but if you cannot grasp the limitations of beta software you really should not be running it....

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
It is called a Technical Preview for a reason. I think that (and all the disclaimers on the Windows Insider page) pretty much sums up the problem. I am sorry but if you cannot grasp the limitations of beta software you really should not be running it....

I'm sorry but if you can't grasp the concept of being polite and respectful, then you shouldn't be on the internet.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Now now boys, UzEE was just asking a simple question. I don't see anything in his post that lead me to believe that he doesn't understand that this is still a beta release. He was just asking where the shadows were, that were there in the previous build. Lets just try to help each other here...

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I think he was stating a fact, no more, no less. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

The fact ended with the first sentence. I'll even give him the second sentence since it was somewhat relevant. But the third one was completely uncalled for.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
hmm, shadows seem to be working on my build, ive got a weird issue with cortana, lol, were still a whiles away from a polished os eh?

its interesting, that black outline, I think thats supposed to be your shadow, wonder whats up with it

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The fact ended with the first sentence. I'll even give him the second sentence since it was somewhat relevant. But the third one was completely uncalled for.

I see nothing wrong with this post, if you find a bug, by all means you should attempt to fix it, that way you can send a better picture of the issue for microsoft to look into. As far as I can see, hes being a proper beta tester.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Also, the whole point of having public previews is to help iron out the issues in the builds. A better understanding of what's causing the problem would mean a much more helpful (and reproducible) bug report, which helps everyone.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
hmm, shadows seem to be working on my build, ive got a weird issue with cortana, lol, were still a whiles away from a polished os eh?

its interesting, that black outline, I think thats supposed to be your shadow, wonder whats up with it

I'm running this on an HP Envy M6 Touchsmart (Core i5 4200U with Intel HD Graphics 4400). I wonder if its an issue with shadows not supported on integrated graphics.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm running this on an HP Envy M6 Touchsmart (Core i5 4200U with Intel HD Graphics 4400). I wonder if its an issue with shadows not supported on integrated graphics.

It's possible, but I dunno, I have w10 running on a really old dell laptop (inspiron E1505)and its not very adequate on the graphics front, I'm not sure if your video card is better or not then my laptop ( for reference its running a Mobile Intel 945 express chipset family" gotta love the vagueness in that) I feel like if this craptop can support it though, I think any modern device would

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So I installed Windows 10 on my laptop (dual booting with 8.1) and I've noticed that I get the regular Windows chrome (ugly borders) instead of the beautiful drop shadows they show in each demo.

I checked in System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Performance and turned on everything there but still no shadows.

View attachment 94654

Any ideas what's causing the problem?

I think during the presentation they used at least 3-4 different builds/versions of Windows 10 to show various features. So I imagine the Tech Preview is only a portion of the UI and features.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I finally figured out what the issue is.

If you log in with a Microsoft account which has syncing enabled, Windows 10 will pick up your Windows 8.1 theme and visual style by default, hence giving the think window chrome look.

I figured that out when I tried changing the theme from Appearance and Personalization. Changing to one of the default themes shipped in Windows 10 also changes the visual style to the new look, think chrome with drop shadows and all.

Screenshot (1).jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss