How do I do these things in Windows 10 build 9926?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I was very excited to install Windows 10 JTP on my laptop..... but the excitement did not last too long once I installed it :unhappy:
I know things will change by time..... but still the current scenario is not much appeasing.

These are a few things (or settings) that were easily accessible in Windows 8.1 but hard to find in the latest W10 build.

1.) Where are the OneDrive sync settings which used to be there in the previous Settings app? (There are only few sync settings left now.)
2.) How do I change the Start menu colours? (the Personalization settings in the Settings app is mostly blank with only lock screen settings!!)
3.) Where is the option to change how updates are installed? (I want the "Check for updates but let me decide whether to install them" option back!)
4.) Why are fonts and app icons looking so small? It will take a lot of time to get used to them!!!
5.) How do I sync my Start Screen layout with the one that I had on my Windows 8.1?
#NOTE:- I have switched back to the old Start Screen by tweaking the registry.

I hope the final OS would feel great to operate.... For now, I have no time to switch back to W8.1 :unhappy:

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
1.) Where are the OneDrive sync settings which used to be there in the previous Settings app? (There are only few sync settings left now.)
2.) How do I change the Start menu colours? (the Personalization settings in the Settings app is mostly blank with only lock screen settings!!)
3.) Where is the option to change how updates are installed? (I want the "Check for updates but let me decide whether to install them" option back!)
4.) Why are fonts and app icons looking so small? It will take a lot of time to get used to them!!!
5.) How do I sync my Start Screen layout with the one that I had on my Windows 8.1?

1) C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe than right click the icon in tray and wala!
2) The start menu BG color is off of the windows theme colors unlike before where there was options. I am guessing it was a rarely used function so they didn't care to bring it forward
3) Updates in the future will always install. There will be no options to not install updates. Seems like they are going the mobile OS route where everyone always installs updates most of the time. You can probably disable the windows update service to stop them.
4) You can adjust the font size under display settings just make it larger
5) you can try replacing the file on windows 10 with the windows 8 one. its under your appdata local

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I was very excited to install Windows 10 JTP on my laptop..... but the excitement did not last too long once I installed it :unhappy:
I know things will change by time..... but still the current scenario is not much appeasing.

These are a few things (or settings) that were easily accessible in Windows 8.1 but hard to find in the latest W10 build.

#NOTE:- I have switched back to the old Start Screen by tweaking the registry.

I hope the final OS would feel great to operate.... For now, I have no time to switch back to W8.1 :unhappy:

Then you need to feed those things back to Microsoft, remember that this is a Tech Preview not a final build.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Then you need to feed those things back to Microsoft, remember that this is a Tech Preview not a final build.

Hmm.... I'm an Insider, so I'll definitely notify them about these issues.... Agree or not, this build is not that good....

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
1) C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe than right click the icon in tray and wala!
2) The start menu BG color is off of the windows theme colors unlike before where there was options. I am guessing it was a rarely used function so they didn't care to bring it forward
3) Updates in the future will always install. There will be no options to not install updates. Seems like they are going the mobile OS route where everyone always installs updates most of the time. You can probably disable the windows update service to stop them.
4) You can adjust the font size under display settings just make it larger
5) you can try replacing the file on windows 10 with the windows 8 one. its under your appdata local

Thanks Chuck!
1.) But the OneDrive is already active in the system tray and it does not have any sync settings (except which folders to sync option).
2.) For the BG colour part, as I have got back the original fullscreen start screen, the bg colour as well as the accent colour options are back!
3.)The Updates part is not good. Users must have freedom to choose their preferred update settings.
4.) Fonts and tile size is not much big issue. :smile:
5.) The best part, as I switched back to original start screen, after a restart, my start layout was synced automatically and all my previously installed apps are all in their best places!

NOW, the only things remaining are the Updates policies, the "new" Start menu and the sync settings.

Other problems which I managed to resolve by making Registry tweaks must have been in real!

Thanks for the quick reply :grin:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.... I'm an Insider, so I'll definitely notify them about these issues.... Agree or not, this build is not that good....

​For a Tech Preview of a product that is months away I'd say this is a bloody good build. Does it need polish, yes it does. Does it need fixes for known issues, yes it does. But that's the reason why this isn't an RC release, let alone a final release.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
BTW, the pictures on Windows blogs show a translucent Start menu. How to get that? My start menu had totally hard solid colours!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
BTW, the pictures on Windows blogs show a translucent Start menu. How to get that? My start menu had totally hard solid colours!
Are you using it on a virtual machine? I wonder if that limits some graphics options. I also don't get a translucent start pane in Hyper-V.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
The transparent effects were in the previous build prior to the build recently released. The version we are all using now is not the build that they used in the consumer event. During the event, MS Team stated that the build they were presenting would not be the build that would be released, because it is not yet ready. They would be releasing an earlier build which is what we got.

Between this build and the last, I have noticed performance issues, where the previous build was smooth and slick but this build is a bit slower and not as responsive. I assume that because of this, they removed the transparency effects to reduce the bog lower end systems would currently face. They will no doubt bring them back when things are more optimized.

As for updates and setting for updates, there is a section in the settings called Update and Recovery, or something along those lines (not near my system to tell you exactly) but the easiest way to get to it is to type in "Update" in the SearchBar/Cortana on the taskbar and it will pop up. You can then choose the time to check for updates and/or whether you want fast updates or not. They explain what this means in the menu options.

This same method can be used for searching for your settings for OneDrive by simply typing "OneDrive" in the search to bring up the various available settings and applications on your system.

I have actually been using the Cortana/Search feature to open almost everything at the moment, until I get more used to where things are, or where things will be when this OS is closer to being launched.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

2. This one is weird. In my case, initially it was like turquoise, then changed to black, then to dark pink when the whole thing got screwed up and I did an in-place install, all on its own. The dark pink one could be from the previous setting I used in 8.1.
3. None at the moment.
4. It's for desktop, so it's gonna be smaller than before, but we'll see if they change this later.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Okkkk, the transparency would me made available in coming builds....

Other than this, who likes the latest "Minimize, Restore and Close buttons"?? :eck: --->> Capture.PNG
Only Google Chrome has better buttons --->> Capture3.PNG

Also This PC has become.... aaa.... don't know, something weird.
And, I think, Microsoft has forgotten the Recycle Bin... It still hasn't evolved since it was re-designed in Vista!
Capture2.PNG
Moreover, the new open and closed folder icons with content previews on them so large is just..... s***!!!!

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
To change the Windows colour go to Control Panel > Personalization.
Somewhere there you can choose the color just like on W8.1

My w10 is not in english so I can't point you exactly where to go, but it's there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven