Windows 10 as main OS?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
They don't recommend using it as main OS, yet are offering it _now_ as an update to anyone running WIN7 or 8.. Kind of double edged..

​I get it but it could well come back and bite them in the *ss

9112Fisher

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I have one question. They said Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7/8 users, but what will happen to users that use Windows 10 TP as main OS?
Would they be able to upgrade for free to final build from TP?

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No problems here. Been using it at my main OS since the first preview. But you must know that there are risks. I, for example, am not too worried about having to repair the pc and/or reinstall Windows should it all go tits-up.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I installed it on my main device, not liking the outcome, not that I didn't know the risk, but I out if experience I don't recommend it.

ChinuKabi

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Is there anything like I will not be able to use the technical preview after a certain date. It happened to me with windows 8.1 technical preview. I was not able to use it after 15th February last year.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
You were expected to officially update/buy your final release of WIN8. An announcement was made that Insider program members will be able to upgrade to the final release at no cost.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I have seen quite a few people at my school using it as their main OS, actually. (Not too surprising, I guess, since it's UW and everyone here wants to work either for MSFT or Boeing.) I talked to a guy in one of my classes about it, I think with the first public build, and he said it was fine as far as beta OSs go.
I will hopefully be installing it Monday night. I just have to get a USB drive in the mail to create my recovery drive and then I'm jumping in. I'm not worried about it, but I have plenty of experience doing my own OS recovery/reinstall/do from scratch stuff. I tried 7 when it was in beta, and again with 8 and have done some sketchy MBR recoveries. My favorite OS recovery was after I managed to accidentally delete a file critical to the GUI and display drivers on 7 :)

I think that if you know what you're getting into and know how to fix it yourself when it breaks, jump right in. It's called software for a reason. It's soft and malleable. It's easy to do permanent damage to hardware, harder to permanently damage firmware, and just about everything software-wise is reversible if you know what you're doing.
But if you aren't confident, stay away. It's good to have feedback from as many types of users as possible, but not at the expense of their system.

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
It's not without bugs, tried hooking up my laptop to the TV yesterday and both displays became a garbled mess. Latest graphics driver installed.

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Even I'm in the IT department on my company, I'm using win10 TP from the first day.
of coure there are some problem but i can live with them ;) .
don't use it as main OS unless you can deal with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs