[9926] Windows Update 0x80070057 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bakker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
My Windows Update throws an error. It says:

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later.
If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support
for information, this may help - (0x80070057).
Retrying doesn't help and searching the web doesn't help me find a solution.

In the feedback app there are at least 15 reports of the same error, so this is a (rare) 9926 problem.

Anyone had the same issue and found a solution?

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
This happens whenever Windows update settings aren't pointing toward MS servers, such when a pc is domain joined, in which case the gpedit settings will not fix it (as they will be overwritten by group policy). Have reported this to Ms last Friday.

For domain joined pc's that have a GPO with WU settings either disable the GPO or unjoin from the domain.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
This happens whenever Windows update settings aren't pointing toward MS servers, such when a pc is domain joined, in which case the gpedit settings will not fix it (as they will be overwritten by group policy). Have reported this to Ms last Friday.

For domain joined pc's that have a GPO with WU settings either disable the GPO or unjoin from the domain.
Nope. That ain't happening.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]
"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"UxOption"=dword:00000000
Back to normal, using corporate WSUS server.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Nope. That ain't happening.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]
"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"UxOption"=dword:00000000
Back to normal, using corporate WSUS server.

Thanks ! This regedit even brings back the option to check with Microsoft servers which would be a necessity since my WSUS server doesn't have any updates for Windows 10.

I simply created an OU put the computer in there and blocked GPO processing at the OU, this is a much better solution.

Of course this begs the question what the purpose of IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled exactly is. Surely the option to check both WSUS and MS isn't going to be taken out.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The "Converged Update Stack" has something to do with regular updates and new builds being offered thru the same Windows Update which would necessitate doing it thru Microsoft. Hopefully by the time of RTM everything will be back to normal.

Your WSUS admin has the ability to import and publish the Windows 10 updates from the catalog.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
The "Converged Update Stack" has something to do with regular updates and new builds being offered thru the same Windows Update which would necessitate doing it thru Microsoft. Hopefully by the time of RTM everything will be back to normal.

Your WSUS admin has the ability to import and publish the Windows 10 updates from the catalog.

Yeah I know, I am the WSUS admin :) Not going to be bothered getting updates for a preview onto my box.

Ken1ceo

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
The regedit worked. It's actually really easy. Just sent those two to "0". My issue was that I was a part of the domain. This is a great work around. Thanks for posting.

sibeans

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Solution thanks to Tornado15550 on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/2tlzy0/9926_windows_update_0x80070057_error/

Run -> gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure Automatic Updates -> Not Configured

this is so much simpler than going to the registry, just click and click away, Right On!

*update, after successfully updating the current build I checked Windows Update again and got another Error Code. This time it was: 0x80246017, but it won't throw that code again after hitting the retry

Last edited:

f1saurabh

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
The solution in above blog does start the installation process but then error again showed up at 2% mark. Then I came a very simple solution on internet, simply disable internet after verification process of downloaded files, just when the installation starts. After that process went on smoothly and my computer is now on anniversary update.

vincentw56

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The solution in above blog does start the installation process but then error again showed up at 2% mark. Then I came a very simple solution on internet, simply disable internet after verification process of downloaded files, just when the installation starts. After that process went on smoothly and my computer is now on anniversary update.

This worked for me!

pederpansen

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Oh my, after countless hours and trying out a number of Microsoft fixit tools, disabling the internet connection finally did the trick. Thank you so much!

f1saurabh

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
So do you just disconnect from your wifi or do you disable it while it's installing???
Just turn off wifi or ethernet (whatever you are using to access internet) after files have been downloaded and just when installation begins. No need to disable from device manager or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99