Resize the start Menu

yloops

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Resizing the start menu was one of the biggest benefits of win 10 to my mind and now this has been taken away. I liked having a long slim menu. whilst being able to go fulscreen is great, it would be nice to be able to resize it as well.

Being able to customize windows is what will make it appealing!

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Instructions

1 Open Registry as an administrator and navigate the following path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

2 Finally create a new DWORD called EnableXamlStartMenu and leave the default value of 0.

3 Restart your computer and now you can enjoy the old new Start menu.

To revert the settings, simply delete the DWORD key you created on step 2.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the feature is going away completely, maybe just just not included in this build? Obviously still there but not by default. I'd like to think the feature will be included in the official release.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this! This is actually how I would use my PC - I like the larger live tiles on my screen, its a WHQD, and before I set this, I found the new tile sizes to be too small because of the higher resolution.

I am 90% on the desktop, but I still like to use the start menu to navigate my apps using large buttons

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, we're continuing to evaluate and evolve this and your feedback helps :) Please also use the Windows feedback tool to send it to us through the OS :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, we're continuing to evaluate and evolve this and your feedback helps :) Please also use the Windows feedback tool to send it to us through the OS :)
Hope you'll see this: many people are reporting that the 'Me Too' button has disappeared in the feedback app, myself included. Is this a bug, or do we just hit 'send' with an empty form? Ideally I'd like to be able to click on 'me too' even in list view in the feedback app, but for now: please find out why the me too button isn't showing anywhere. Thanks!

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is not really a "bug" in the build, just the way the feedback app works in this build, so yes please just open and send as you had guessed. HOWEVER, we are making improvements to the feedback app in future builds, so this method will eventually be more intuitive and evolve. Thanks for the feedback :)

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Giffdev, so you are Officially from Microsoft.. ? great to have you here in WindowsCentral. BTW, please excuse some "Toxic" users who only knows how to bash on Windows...

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I'm an engineer working on Windows 10, hence the little Microsoft badge under my name :) You can find me on xbox live, twitter, instagram, etc at the screen name Giffdev as well

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I'm an engineer working on Windows 10, hence the little Microsoft badge under my name :) You can find me on xbox live, twitter, instagram, etc at the screen name Giffdev as well
Well in that case, and since after 31 posts you may not have WPCentral fatigue just yet, would you be willing (and allowed) to comment on planned Win10 handling of full screen apps?

For me the biggest problem with the current tech preview is that full screen apps are kicked back to windowed when the task switcher is activated. If you have a minute please see my proposed solution here. Is the handling of fullscreen apps in desktop mode and tablet mode still in flux, or are the current behaviors basically considered the final design? Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't comment on future plans around specific features right now, but definitely provide your feedback in the (windows feedback tool especially) and it is being evaluated :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't comment on future plans around specific features right now
I feared as much, but I hoped you could say whether the general interaction model is still being tweaked. I feel a bit silly adding a single suggestion to a pool of thousands of suggestions in a list that is supposedly being analyzed automatically using Azure Machine Learning, on an issue that may already have passed the point of no return! Any job openings on the UI team? :)

Edit: it would be helpful if you could say where such general app UI features should be discussed. The feedback app has a category Apps > App behavior on multi-monitor, but no general app behavior section.

Last edited:

Giffdev

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If there's a specific app you want to give feedback on, of course please dig into that app directly. If it's general across all apps, I suppose you could do it in the root node for apps.

Also, while we definitely definitely definitely do use machine learning to help triage the hundreds of thousands of issues, I can tell you that real engineers are also going through much of the feedback by hand, literally reading hundreds a day and seeing what you are all saying, so your feedback isn't only being consumed by robots ;)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Also, while we definitely definitely definitely do use machine learning to help triage the hundreds of thousands of issues, I can tell you that real engineers are also going through much of the feedback by hand, literally reading hundreds a day and seeing what you are all saying, so your feedback isn't only being consumed by robots ;)
That's great to hear. I hope that the feedback app at some point will expose anonymized 'follow up comments' by other users, because for now they kind of disappear into the void. Being able to 'like' followup comments would also be great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo