Increase background tasks

MrChris2000

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
The current limit on 'Lock screen background tasks' is really low.
This was an issue on Windows 8 as well, but for some reason its more problematic on 10 as a lot of the Microsoft apps want background processing as well - eg Xbox app.

So now I'm having to make tough choices as to which apps get background privs, when as a user I want them all to be able to run in the background.

Any thoughts on whether this may change in future?

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh this problem.. Don't understand what Microsoft was thinking here.
I get that too many background tasks can be problematic for phones and tablets causing them to run slowly, but why is this restriction imposed on PCs as well? Even those with plenty of RAM and CPU power have to limit the no. of tasks, which I think its silly. Shouldn't Windows automatically adjust the limit based on the PC hardware?
We should all provide feedback on this issue. Hopefully the limit will increase, if not go away completely, or adjust itself automatically.

Chuck Foltz

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I do not think there should be any limit. Software should not limit users is any way what so ever. Its just like video games. If I want to run a game at full settings i see the results. So if users want 100 background processes than inform the user after say 5 or 10 that this will impact performance. They can even make a nice little bar to show you this for those who love to see bars and stuff. This way its all on the users. If i have a old windows 10 phone and want to bog it down with background tasks to kill my battery its my choice :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not think there should be any limit. Software should not limit users is any way what so ever. Its just like video games. If I want to run a game at full settings i see the results. So if users want 100 background processes than inform the user after say 5 or 10 that this will impact performance. They can even make a nice little bar to show you this for those who love to see bars and stuff. This way its all on the users. If i have a old windows 10 phone and want to bog it down with background tasks to kill my battery its my choice :)

the problem comes in when average joe comes in, does whatever and then proceeds to complain about those things. (see, cellular download restrictions)
I've seen plenty of people wondering what this weird magnification thing is (a bug???) and it turns out to be the zoom accessibility feature. Even though they must have somehow turned it on before.
I could potentially get behind breaking the limits, but the alerts probably will need to be repeated occasionally and made exceedingly clear.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
the problem comes in when average joe comes in, does whatever and then proceeds to complain about those things. (see, cellular download restrictions)

There is no logical reason for there to be any limit for PCs with sufficient RAM and CPU power. Microsoft can, and should increase it.

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, I've never really understood that feature completely. It seems to only affect what is able to access the lockscreen. I've got a huge load of apps, with many of them offering background updates and live tiles. I've exceeded the limit by far, yet all those apps are working fine. They perform their background and live tile updates just like they should. Which leads me to believe that there actually is no limit at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234