08-14-2015 09:13 PM
160 ... 4567
tools
    I think wordflow would work much less elegant on a tablet as the screen is much larger. I use a 7 inch tablet myself and have no problems with the keyboard at all, but your mileage may vary obviously.

Wordflow on a screen this size, especially in landscape mode, would be more like playing Fruit Ninja ;)
    jhoff80 likes this.
    04-06-2015 07:17 AM
    The main feature I need is Word Flow keyboard. A Windows 8.1 tablet is not very easy to type on without it. I'd use it more often if typing weren't a chore.
    In portrait mode, on an 8 inch tablet, word flow would be awesome, a massive productivity boost!

Is it planned for wordflow to be in 10 for tablet?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2015 08:18 AM
    Tablets with screens smaller than 8inch will have wordflow as they will run WIN10 'mobile'
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2015 09:22 AM
    Tablets with screens smaller than 8inch will have wordflow as they will run WIN10 'mobile'
    At this point I'd rather put Win 10 mobile on my 8 inch Acer W4 even though I'd lose desktop access. I use the desktop or desktop apps probably around 5% on this tablet. Win 10 is on my Surface pro and just is a complete nightmare to use compared to Win 8 on it.

Since ARM is dead wonder if their will be a way to install Win 10 mobile on an 8 inch x86 tablet?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2015 11:50 AM
    I think wordflow would work much less elegant on a tablet as the screen is much larger. I use a 7 inch tablet myself and have no problems with the keyboard at all, but your mileage may vary obviously.

Wordflow on a screen this size, especially in landscape mode, would be more like playing Fruit Ninja ;)
    I typically use my 7" tablets in portrait mode when typing. That's why I'm using an Android tablet now. Swiftkey is similar to Word Flow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    04-06-2015 12:56 PM
    I typically use my 7" tablets in portrait mode when typing.
    7inch tablets will have word flow as they will have the 'mobile' keyboard
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2015 01:10 PM
    That's only new 7" tablets after Windows 10 comes out though, right? I thought existing 7" Windows tablets running 8.1 are supposed to be upgraded to Windows 10 desktop.

I'd actually like the wordflow keyboard on my 8" Dell Venue Pro, even in landscape mode. I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, but I'm so used to using it on my 925 that I often start swiping while typing on it, and I find it a little frustrating when it doesn't work.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2015 05:31 PM
    That's only new 7" tablets after Windows 10 comes out though, right? I thought existing 7" Windows tablets running 8.1 are supposed to be upgraded to Windows 10 desktop.

I'd actually like the wordflow keyboard on my 8" Dell Venue Pro, even in landscape mode. I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, but I'm so used to using it on my 925 that I often start swiping while typing on it, and I find it a little frustrating when it doesn't work.
    I sure hope that all 7" Windows tablets, including those with 8.1 get the Windows 10 tablet update, not the desktop version. I'd have little use for a 7" Windows tablet without Word Flow, since I can't type on it.
    04-06-2015 05:57 PM
    I sure hope that all 7" Windows tablets, including those with 8.1 get the Windows 10 tablet update, not the desktop version..
    All screensizes smaller than 8inch will get the 'mobile' WIN10 UI/UX
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2015 06:14 PM
    All screensizes smaller than 8inch will get the 'mobile' WIN10 UI/UX
    Joe Belfiore tweeted that existing 7" tablets update to desktop Windows 10 (for better or worse)

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/stat...85453097050112

It's probably necessary - or at least much less troublesome - to do it this way. For one thing, the current tablets are like regular PCs in that driver and firmware/bios updates all get handled through desktop Windows programs from the vendors. I imagine updates for the mobile versions are going to be handled more like they currently are on phones where vendor firmware updates get pushed out through the OS update mechanism, and it's probably a logistical nightmare to change that up for devices already in the wild.
    04-06-2015 07:20 PM
    Joe Belfiore tweeted that existing 7" tablets update to desktop Windows 10 (for better or worse)

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/stat...85453097050112

It's probably necessary - or at least much less troublesome - to do it this way. For one thing, the current tablets are like regular PCs in that driver and firmware/bios updates all get handled through desktop Windows programs from the vendors. I imagine updates for the mobile versions are going to be handled more like they currently are on phones where vendor firmware updates get pushed out through the OS update mechanism, and it's probably a logistical nightmare to change that up for devices already in the wild.
    Tweeted reply to him and asked about WordFlow. If it doesn't happen, I"ll stay with Android as my primary tablet.
    mrpuny likes this.
    04-06-2015 08:53 PM
    I just wish they could give enough configurable options for Tablet mode to replicate the gui flow and look of Win 8. I tweeted a dev and they said options causes more bugs etc. So ridiculous MS is not even allowing Win 10 to be customized to work like Win 8.

It is just insanity they have separate Desktop and Tablet modes yet do not allow customization of these modes.
    04-07-2015 07:49 AM
    If it's bug problems we may see these addressed in later post release updates. Seems like each release of the CTP comes with fewer configuration options.
    04-07-2015 09:56 PM
    And I am fully satisfied with Tablet mode, anyway it is better than the desktop mode on a Tablet
    04-08-2015 04:23 AM
    I just don't see Windows 10 succeeding on tablets. I hope Microsoft realizes this, and that their internal communication isn't the same as their external communication. Surely, someone inside Microsoft has raised their voice and said "This sucks!"? :(
    jhoff80 likes this.
    04-08-2015 05:19 PM
    I agree, that the W10 tablet mode is horrible compared to W8.1 experience. It seems to me, that MS is going to do the same mistake they did with W8 but opposite way.

In W8 they forced desktop users to use touch optimized UI and pissed most of them, even the hard core MS fans. And in W10, they are going to force tablet users to use some kind of semi-desktop-semi-tablet UI, which is not good either way.

Most of the tablet users use the tablet for content consumption and basic tasks like emails, social networks and media activities (watching movies, listening music or watching pictures). As far as we can see from W10 TP (and I think it is not going to dramatically change in RTM) this kind of tasks are completely crippled - most noticeable is Internet browsing experience. Why the hell anybody would like to use small and tiny controls on IE or Spartan browser.

And why they are going to kill charm menu is beyond my imagination.
    04-09-2015 02:02 AM
    I agree, that the W10 tablet mode is horrible compared to W8.1 experience. It seems to me, that MS is going to do the same mistake they did with W8 but opposite way.
    IMO this is not the case. WIN8 did not force the use of touch optimised UI unless you qualify the change from Startmenu to Start Screen as such (which I would not). The desktop was not hidden or made to work better/optimised for touch at all. In fact the Desktop in WIN8 is quite a bit better than the WIN7 experience.

In WIN10 they actually REMOVED the touch UI and replaced it with a 'open full screen on/off' switch with a fancy name..
    04-09-2015 03:20 AM
    Created an "Improve Tablet Mode" request on Windows.uservoice.com

Please cast your VOTE -> HERE too!

Thank you
    04-09-2015 03:36 AM
    Created an "Improve Tablet Mode" request on Windows.uservoice.com

Please cast your VOTE -> HERE too!

Thank you
    Excellent ideas there but I don't suspect they'll do any of that. I guess the rumor was it was causing bugs. Hopefully Win 10 UD 1 will do this. But that will be after all the Surface users start complaining about the upgrade.

Even as primarily a desktop user I'd say they took the Windows 7 direction a little too far.
    04-09-2015 04:33 PM
    Really?
    It seems like the Tablet mode is good so far though (I think it is).
    04-09-2015 04:44 PM
    Really?
    It seems like the Tablet mode is good so far though (I think it is).
    Are you serious?
    Did you ever used 8.1 Start Screen on a Tablet?

Take a look at this official Discussion about how bad is W10 "Tablet Mode" right now...
    04-10-2015 03:24 AM
    I dont get whats the problem with the new start menu, it is the same as in 8.1 plus the section on the left side with the shortcuts.
    04-10-2015 04:05 AM
    I dont get whats the problem with the new start menu, it is the same as in 8.1 plus the section on the left side with the shortcuts.
    It's not even close. Instead of swiping for 'all apps', there's a small button. Instead of 'all apps' taking up the whole screen, it takes a tiny list with small touch targets. There's no semantic zoom for jumping to a certain app. They've made it a slower process to rearrange tiles. You can't disable live tiles per app (not so much a touch-related difference, but it is still something different). And then yes, it also has the hideous menu on the left side.

Leaked screenshots show it's getting worse too. They're putting the power button right next to the all apps button. Because a button you need to touch all the time right next to the button to turn the device off is a great idea on touch devices, right?
    04-10-2015 09:51 AM
    OMG, THEY'RE NOT GOING TO IMPROVE THE TABLET UI!!! They don't have time to fix anything and it's going to rtm any day now! JAS00555, YOU'RE *WRONG* WHEN YOU SAID THERE'S TIME LEFT TO FIX IT

http://m.windowscentral.com/leaked-w...blet-mode-more
    04-10-2015 05:31 PM
    Despite your condescending strawman response, nobody said that they weren't going to do minor tweaks. What they're not going to do, and what they don't have time for is the major overhaul that tablet mode in Windows 10 STILL needs. And it's pretty clear that they still just don't get it at all. Like I already mentioned, whose bright idea was it to put the POWER button right next to the All Apps button? That's a terrible decision for touch.
    04-10-2015 05:43 PM
160 ... 4567