Win 10 in Tablet mode is horrible

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Dude, going from 1 to 5% market share would mean you increase the number of users by 225% provided the total number of users stays the same. So that number is likely quite a bit higher.

And all this has _nothing_ to do with what we are discussing here. But I have a feeling you know that and are not really here to contribute anything but flame bait. So with that said I suggest we just let you be and don't feed the troll..

Um... 1 + 1.33 + 1.33 + 1.33 = 5 lmao. It's also very relevant to the conversation since I was responding to the claim that Windows 8 succeeded because it did better than Windows 7 tablets.

Also, it's against the site rules to call someone a troll. Keep that in mind.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I am not putting it on my SP3 yet (too many issues) but I was concerned with the taskbar always there in tablet mode. but on my build on the desktop . if I maximize an app it does go completely full screen - stuff like Zinio or flipboard or kindle - which is exactly how i would expect a reading experience to be on a tablet

I've noted that too but not all apps seem to do that.

On a tablet I think I'd like to see it side or top aligned and swiped out. There would be too much chance to accidentally press it on the bottom if hand holding. But it seems like it can't be moved at all.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I suspect MS has over reacted and is focusing too much on what the community wants. Great design and change comes from individuals, not focus groups.

I've been at companies where the executives are hanging on the focus group's surveys and ignoring the creative geniuses they employed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Since she only bought it for the price (?!) I guess she could not care less and does not actually use the tablet for anything. So she will fumble along all hunkey dorey as if it's not a big thing..
The main feature I need is Word Flow keyboard. A Windows 8.1 tablet is not very easy to type on without it. I'd use it more often if typing weren't a chore.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I think wordflow would work much less elegant on a tablet as the screen is much larger. I use a 7 inch tablet myself and have no problems with the keyboard at all, but your mileage may vary obviously.

Wordflow on a screen this size, especially in landscape mode, would be more like playing Fruit Ninja ;)

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
The main feature I need is Word Flow keyboard. A Windows 8.1 tablet is not very easy to type on without it. I'd use it more often if typing weren't a chore.
In portrait mode, on an 8 inch tablet, word flow would be awesome, a massive productivity boost!

Is it planned for wordflow to be in 10 for tablet?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Tablets with screens smaller than 8inch will have wordflow as they will run WIN10 'mobile'

At this point I'd rather put Win 10 mobile on my 8 inch Acer W4 even though I'd lose desktop access. I use the desktop or desktop apps probably around 5% on this tablet. Win 10 is on my Surface pro and just is a complete nightmare to use compared to Win 8 on it.

Since ARM is dead wonder if their will be a way to install Win 10 mobile on an 8 inch x86 tablet?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think wordflow would work much less elegant on a tablet as the screen is much larger. I use a 7 inch tablet myself and have no problems with the keyboard at all, but your mileage may vary obviously.

Wordflow on a screen this size, especially in landscape mode, would be more like playing Fruit Ninja ;)
I typically use my 7" tablets in portrait mode when typing. That's why I'm using an Android tablet now. Swiftkey is similar to Word Flow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
7inch tablets will have word flow as they will have the 'mobile' keyboard

That's only new 7" tablets after Windows 10 comes out though, right? I thought existing 7" Windows tablets running 8.1 are supposed to be upgraded to Windows 10 desktop.

I'd actually like the wordflow keyboard on my 8" Dell Venue Pro, even in landscape mode. I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, but I'm so used to using it on my 925 that I often start swiping while typing on it, and I find it a little frustrating when it doesn't work.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
7inch tablets will have word flow as they will have the 'mobile' keyboard

That's only new 7" tablets after Windows 10 comes out though, right? I thought existing 7" Windows tablets running 8.1 are supposed to be upgraded to Windows 10 desktop.

I'd actually like the wordflow keyboard on my 8" Dell Venue Pro, even in landscape mode. I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, but I'm so used to using it on my 925 that I often start swiping while typing on it, and I find it a little frustrating when it doesn't work.
I sure hope that all 7" Windows tablets, including those with 8.1 get the Windows 10 tablet update, not the desktop version. I'd have little use for a 7" Windows tablet without Word Flow, since I can't type on it.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
All screensizes smaller than 8inch will get the 'mobile' WIN10 UI/UX

Joe Belfiore tweeted that existing 7" tablets update to desktop Windows 10 (for better or worse)

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/559885453097050112

It's probably necessary - or at least much less troublesome - to do it this way. For one thing, the current tablets are like regular PCs in that driver and firmware/bios updates all get handled through desktop Windows programs from the vendors. I imagine updates for the mobile versions are going to be handled more like they currently are on phones where vendor firmware updates get pushed out through the OS update mechanism, and it's probably a logistical nightmare to change that up for devices already in the wild.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Joe Belfiore tweeted that existing 7" tablets update to desktop Windows 10 (for better or worse)

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/559885453097050112

It's probably necessary - or at least much less troublesome - to do it this way. For one thing, the current tablets are like regular PCs in that driver and firmware/bios updates all get handled through desktop Windows programs from the vendors. I imagine updates for the mobile versions are going to be handled more like they currently are on phones where vendor firmware updates get pushed out through the OS update mechanism, and it's probably a logistical nightmare to change that up for devices already in the wild.

Tweeted reply to him and asked about WordFlow. If it doesn't happen, I"ll stay with Android as my primary tablet.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just wish they could give enough configurable options for Tablet mode to replicate the gui flow and look of Win 8. I tweeted a dev and they said options causes more bugs etc. So ridiculous MS is not even allowing Win 10 to be customized to work like Win 8.

It is just insanity they have separate Desktop and Tablet modes yet do not allow customization of these modes.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If it's bug problems we may see these addressed in later post release updates. Seems like each release of the CTP comes with fewer configuration options.

Dot Matrix

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I just don't see Windows 10 succeeding on tablets. I hope Microsoft realizes this, and that their internal communication isn't the same as their external communication. Surely, someone inside Microsoft has raised their voice and said "This sucks!"? :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05