Win 10 in Tablet mode is horrible

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Have to agree in full. Tablet mode is really bad right now. They've gotten rid of anything that worked well for tablets in 8.1. Plenty of time to fix it, but the direction they're taking just doesn't look good. (And yes, at this point I've posted all of this to feedback, probably 30-40 posts by now).

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not putting it on my SP3 yet (too many issues) but I was concerned with the taskbar always there in tablet mode. but on my build on the desktop . if I maximize an app it does go completely full screen - stuff like Zinio or flipboard or kindle - which is exactly how i would expect a reading experience to be on a tablet

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree in full. Tablet mode is really bad right now. They've gotten rid of anything that worked well for tablets in 8.1. Plenty of time to fix it, but the direction they're taking just doesn't look good. (And yes, at this point I've posted all of this to feedback, probably 30-40 posts by now).

Yep

It's not that stuff is broken in a public beta that is to be expected it's that they actually INTEND these bad design features to be their once released.

It's really scary and makes me very leary of the direction of Win 10 for tablets whihc is silly cause all they had to do was port over the Win 8.1 gui and make a few adjustments.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't understand people here.
It's very very early build. They said that hundred times.
geTApaTAlkED

Yes and as I've posted they have also said some of the issues, "Taskbar always on/charm bar gone etc" are intended to be their in the final build.

It's not the bugs it's the direction of forcing the desktop on a tablet when their is a perfectly good Tablet gui they already created in Win 8.1.

Also they did a public Beta to get feedback, I've given them feedback officially and am now discussing the issues in an appropriate forum. That's what these forums are for.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm worried about is the transcript of on an online dev response on someone's questions of the present taskbar at the bottom and that currently there was apparantly a high count of keeping the taskbar in tablet mode. As long as I have worked with my surface pro I have not seen any use of needing a taskbar in tablet mode. Yes I do need it on the desktop sometimes. The taskbar in windows 10 present as standard in tablet mode is beyond my understanding. To be honest for business the adding of the taskbar in tablet mode sounds like a niche function, just like we windows central users and fans have our wishes for certain changes. I've used window 8.x for over 2 years on my surface pro and it never came to mind that I needed the taskbar in tablet mode. What would be the added benefit of that. To me it seems far fetched. The charmsbar and pinned tiles already did a lot of what the taskbar can do. But now that I write this I think I get what microsoft did. They're perhaps phasing out the functionality of the charmsbar and pinnable tiles, so that the end user will pin apps, inks, and tiles to the taskbar.

For me the familiar experience of windows for a tablet is still the windows start menu with live tiles and the charms bar, no matter what business says.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
In this case it is the bulk of enterprise users that really don't get it thus destroying the tablet experience and that boils down to 6 things

1) Inadequate documentation from MS on how a user would operate Windows 8 (the tutorial's came later)

2) Inadequate training from most of IT to users due to laziness b)migrating to windows 7 was the easiest option in terms of GUI familiarity combined
with the fact most of enterprise customers still run legacy software.

3) Windows 8 was in short Frankincense's monster for tablets as there was duplicate setting (control panel and the settings app) some would open in the desktop and some in the settings app resulting in a jarring experience.

4) Touch version of office was not remotely ready

5) Windows RT was never really understood by most tech journalists, consumers and by extension the enterprise.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, not (yet) working well on my SF2PRO. But installed it on my i3 standard laptop and its working great. I like the central notification area and my external monitor no longer has a slight flickering (reason enough for me to keep it for now). Will try the SF2 later when MS has polished "tablet mode" a bit. But generally I'm pretty happy with it.

sjaak327

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Yep

It's not that stuff is broken in a public beta that is to be expected it's that they actually INTEND these bad design features to be their once released.

It's really scary and makes me very leary of the direction of Win 10 for tablets whihc is silly cause all they had to do was port over the Win 8.1 gui and make a few adjustments.
Precisely, it is their intention or direction that is the worrying part. It's is inconsequential that this is just a beta, it is their intention that is the problem here. Look at their continuum concept video to see what that direction is. Indeed an always visible taskbar, indeed no choice in start experience.

That xaml start screen is a perfect example, they will never make it ideal for both desktop users and tablet users, just as the start screen in Windows 8 meant a compromise. I personally liked it on the desktop as well, but can understand others don't. This new one will divide people in pretty much the same way.

It boggles the mind that this time around they are trying the exact same thing as with Windows 8, force a single start experience on everyone. Yes now they allow resizing, but it will not be ideal for both paradigms, simply because screen size and input methods are vastly different.

At first they showed they finally understood by offering two distinct start experiences in early preview builds, but they have changed their mind and rerunning the Windows 8 way of things.

I agree with you, ALL they really have to do to make 10 great on both tablets and desktops is disabling the 8.1 stuff on the desktop and replace it with desktop logic stuff whilst re-using the 8.1 stuff in tablet mode, as 8.1 had the tablet covered like no other operating system on the planet.

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen and I am afraid that this won't change regardless of any feedback, they have already made up their mind.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with the OP. If no one talks about it, if we're not crying about it everywhere and only providing feedback, how can we get other people onboard to pester the devs and whatnot. We Tablet users have a voice too, y'know.

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Precisely, it is their intention or direction that is the worrying part. It's is inconsequential that this is just a beta, it is their intention that is the problem here. Look at their continuum concept video to see what that direction is. Indeed an always visible taskbar, indeed no choice in start experience.

That xaml start screen is a perfect example, they will never make it ideal for both desktop users and tablet users, just as the start screen in Windows 8 meant a compromise. I personally liked it on the desktop as well, but can understand others don't. This new one will divide people in pretty much the same way.

It boggles the mind that this time around they are trying the exact same thing as with Windows 8, force a single start experience on everyone. Yes now they allow resizing, but it will not be ideal for both paradigms, simply because screen size and input methods are vastly different.

At first they showed they finally understood by offering two distinct start experiences in early preview builds, but they have changed their mind and rerunning the Windows 8 way of things.

I agree with you, ALL they really have to do to make 10 great on both tablets and desktops is disabling the 8.1 stuff on the desktop and replace it with desktop logic stuff whilst re-using the 8.1 stuff in tablet mode, as 8.1 had the tablet covered like no other operating system on the planet.

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen and I am afraid that this won't change regardless of any feedback, they have already made up their mind.

I totally agree. You only got one thing wrong.
They never changed their minds in their direction for windows 10. The first new startmenu wasn't supposed to for windows 10, but for Windows 8.1 Update 2. But when they decided to go for big new release they came up with that continuum stuff. When they introduced windows 10 a couple of months ago they showed the same continuum concept already.
So this was intended all along.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes their idea that one GUI will serve both Desktop and Tablet users well is really stupid.

If when Win 8 came out they simply detected Desktop VS Tablet and defaulted to desktop for actual desktops then this wouldn't be an issue.

Desktop users screamed so loud at having to press ONE button to get back to the desktop that they pretty much freaked MS out and now MS is going to go the opposite direction and make it difficult for Tablet users.

Seriously Desktop users were so whiny about the start screen they have now screwed it up for Tablet users,

It sucks that MS is throwing away one of the best Tablet interfaces ever made, plus the swipe commands for Win 8 were just so natural, even if you didn't know how to use it when you tried a swipe it usually worked the way you naturally think it would.

Last edited:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Ugg this is so disappointing

Why have a Desktop AND Tablet mode when Tablet mode is pretty much throwing out anything good about Win 8.1 for tablets and sticking the taskbar at the bottom taking up screen space?

And Yes I've tried the auto hide option on the taskbar and it is very glitchy, it pops up at random times, stays visible to long, the taskbar is not ideal for thumb touching and does not work well for this purpose.

The issue with win 8.1 was not the touch control and Touch Gui, the issue was making them default for desktops. Now they are pretty much forcing the desktop on tablets and making it much less touch friendly than Win 8.1.

It is crazy MS thinks this is a good idea.

Their was very little wrong with Win 8.1 gui for tablets WHY do they need to throw that all away for a glorified Desktop GUI?
I just opened a new topic about this on Official Windows Insider Forums right HERE

Just keep this fresh and updated, and they will surely notice this thing more.
They've still 8 or so months left, let's hope for the best...

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
It would help if they officially wrote about what they are trying to achieve here and the reasoning behind it. The community would at least then have some basis on what to expect, perform testing on, and provide constructive feedback.
All the're doing is throwing out test builds with random tweets from the Windows developers.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep

The tweets are also not very good, they actually intend on the taskbar being present and are shunning anything to do with Win 8.

They better fix this stuff before it is released, they are a number of new feature I like in win 10 but it is not going any where near my Tablets if the UI is not made better for Touch.

And I'm primarily talking about no freaking taskbar present and the notification center to include the missing features that were included in the charm bar. They also need the swipe ahead to scroll through active apps back.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes their idea that one GUI will serve both Desktop and Tablet users well is really stupid.

If when Win 8 came out they simply detected Desktop VS Tablet and defaulted to desktop for actual desktops then this wouldn't be an issue.

Desktop users screamed so loud at having to press ONE button to get back to the desktop that they pretty much freaked MS out and now MS is going to go the opposite direction and make it difficult for Tablet users.

Seriously Desktop users were so whiny about the start screen they have now screwed it up for Tablet users,

It sucks that MS is throwing away one of the best Tablet interfaces ever made, plus the swipe commands for Win 8 were just so natural, even if you didn't know how to use it when you tried a swipe it usually worked the way you naturally think it would.

Does MS not understand that desktops are going the way of the dinosaur for most consumers? Sure, they jumped the gun on Win 8 by forcing metro on everyone, but that doesn't mean a pure tablet UI was a bad idea, it was just too early & implemented poorly across the board.

Getting stuff outta the way, which charms did, is part of a good tablet UI. Having an always visible task bar on a tablet is retarded.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
All this has been done before and failed. Nobody wants a desktop on a tablet, they had this in the 90's and in phones in 2000s, failed miserably. Why do they seem to be going back to this failed model?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb