Windows 10 TP Directly as an windows update from windows 7

Zeeshan Kazi

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I saw a video https://youtu.be/TfyFV98Ptx0 showing upgrade to windows 10 directly from windows 7 via a windows update .... But I still have some queries such as will doing this remove all my data or installed files and is there any roll back option to windows 7 as in windows 8. Please guys help me with this desparate to get the answers.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
If this is a concern for you, IMO you should not install WIN10 TP at all.

It's not finished, may behave strange and cause dataloss or brick your system to the point you need to reimage your system. In any case do not go there unless you have a full backup/image of your current system.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You could use the built in backup tool to image your Windows 7 partition, then run the upgrade from 7 to 10.
If it is an upgrade it should leave your files intact, though you may need to reinstall some applications.

But heed the warning of the post above!

Zeeshan Kazi

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
My hard disk is divided into 3 partition 1 Primary Partition and 2 logical drives I wannna know which partition will be deleted to replace the windows 7 files.

Zeeshan Kazi

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If this is a concern for you, IMO you should not install WIN10 TP at all.

It's not finished, may behave strange and cause dataloss or brick your system to the point you need to reimage your system. In any case do not go there unless you have a full backup/image of your current system.
data loss is not an issue for me and I already have it installed it on my windows 8 machine.... My only concern is the roll back feature which happens to be in windows 8 upgrade to windows 10 TP

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I didn't try it, but I saw a video on YT too, where no data loss happened, but some settings could be gone after rollback and some Shortcuts where corrupted. If you understand german, here's the vid:
/watch?v=Q7-DQpfsKik (as I cannot post links, just put youtube.com before the slash)
If not, you see at least, how it works (it's only a test, not an actual system and so he doesn't have real data or such things)

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My hard disk is divided into 3 partition 1 Primary Partition and 2 logical drives I wannna know which partition will be deleted to replace the windows 7 files.

The partition that Windows is on, typically C:\.
I'd you upgrade, it shouldn't be deleted, only Windows gets moved to a 'Windows. Old' folder and Windows 10 gets installed to the drive.
(Can someone confirm this?)

Thinking about the way you are asking these questions, though, maybe it isn't a good idea for you to try it yet. Perhaps wait for a consumer preview of it..?

Zeeshan Kazi

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The partition that Windows is on, typically C:\.
I'd you upgrade, it shouldn't be deleted, only Windows gets moved to a 'Windows. Old' folder and Windows 10 gets installed to the drive.
(Can someone confirm this?)

Thinking about the way you are asking these questions, though, maybe it isn't a good idea for you to try it yet. Perhaps wait for a consumer preview of it..?
Thank you buddy ..... Perhaps hearing all of you I am starting to feel that I should wait for consumer preview....
Although my windows 8 machine hasn't had any problem as of yet ..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes