The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-16-2015 11:37 AM
44 12
tools
    Sounds like there should be some kind of NDA signed saying that if you agree to install and help make the product better, you can't whine like you tried to cash a bogus check.
    What tips have you got to help comment/write in a manner to improve the prouduct? What would you consider whining and what would you consider constructive feedback?
    Harrie-S likes this.
    02-11-2015 05:49 AM
    Sounds like there should be some kind of NDA signed saying that if you agree to install and help make the product better, you can't whine like you tried to cash a bogus check.
    Right, this post helped make the product better, thanks!
    02-11-2015 06:44 AM
    Right, this post helped make the product better, thanks!
    ​And yours did? smdh
    Jazmac likes this.
    02-11-2015 07:00 AM
    ​And yours did? smdh
    It did, at least it was actually about the product, people are just **** hurt because they don't agree. So thanks for your valuable commentary as well.
    02-11-2015 07:31 AM
    I installed the Windows 10 technical preview on my macbook and its working great as my daily device
    02-11-2015 07:38 AM
    I installed the Windows 10 technical preview on my macbook and its working great as my daily device
    Great, as a desktop without touch I'm sure it's fine, that's not at all what this conversation is about.
    02-11-2015 07:41 AM
    ​What makes you think it's a minority?
    What makes you think it's a majority. 8.1 is a good OS, better than 7, which was a good OS as well. People only complain about it because it's different, but people complained before 8.1 that Windows was stagnant and boring. Now they are trying to appease the masses that don't care to learn anything by putting something out there that will be a crappy compromise for the mouse/keyboard users and even crappier for the touch users. Especially for the users that like to use both with a keyboard connected.

Even though this is a forum, I still feel I have to say imo, because that's lost on a lot of people these days.
    Last edited by mjrtoo; 02-11-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    02-11-2015 07:47 AM
    What makes you think it's a majority. 8.1 is a good OS, better than 7, which was a good OS as well. People only complain about it because it's different, but people complained before 8.1 that Windows was stagnant and boring. Now they are trying to appease the masses that don't care to learn anything by putting something out there that will be a crappy compromise for the mouse/keyboard users and even crappier for the touch users. Especially for the users that like to use both with a keyboard connected.

Even though this is a forum, I still feel I have to say imo, because that's lost on a lot of people these days.
    ​Then fact that there were months hen Windows 7 went up and 8.x went down. The fact that Vista did better.
    02-11-2015 03:29 PM
    ​Then fact that there were months hen Windows 7 went up and 8.x went down. The fact that Vista did better.
    Right, because people ***** and complain for change, get it, then ***** and moan they changed. Proving most people are idiots. :-)
    02-11-2015 05:41 PM
    Right, because people ***** and complain for change, get it, then ***** and moan they changed. Proving most people are idiots. :-)
    ​I have this subtle feelin that any information I give you will somehow be turned around to how you're right, regardless of what the information actually is.
    02-11-2015 05:59 PM
    lets hope 10 turns out better than it appears right now.
    I understand all of your concerns that you conveyed in your video. All I can say, (and all we can hope for) is that this 9926 build is still a very early build, and that the final product will be every thing that we loved about 7 and 8/8.1, and so much more... provided that we all collectively voice our concerns and constructive criticism through the feedback program.

When I look at the 9879 build of Win10 TP which I still have up and running on my laptop, and compare it to this latest 9926 build I have running on my desktop, the 9879 build seems so much more "robust" and closer to finished than the latest 9926 build. (to me anyway) This leads me to believe that they've obviously rebuilt it from the ground up, and "re-seated" the core of the OS, while adding the new features along the way (Cortana etc), and still have much work to do to bring it up to where we felt it was closer to "consumer ready" by using it. In other words, I really feel like the 9926 build is in a lot of ways a little more premature than the 9879 build was. Be patient, and use that feedback app... we'll get there!

btw.. I don't think anyone else noticed in your video, but you've got one of the uber rare "prototype" Type cover keyboards for your Surface... I'm jealous! And I don't even have a Surface anymore lol
    02-11-2015 09:13 PM
    It's not done. They know it isn't optimized for touch. They say don't put it on a compressed operating system. They say its gonna get better later. Why complain so early?

Sure, give feedback (through the TP) but there's no need to complain as of yet. It's not even close to being released.
    02-11-2015 09:37 PM
    ​The irony.
    02-12-2015 08:04 AM
    I understand all of your concerns that you conveyed in your video. All I can say, (and all we can hope for) is that this 9926 build is still a very early build, and that the final product will be every thing that we loved about 7 and 8/8.1, and so much more... provided that we all collectively voice our concerns and constructive criticism through the feedback program.

When I look at the 9879 build of Win10 TP which I still have up and running on my laptop, and compare it to this latest 9926 build I have running on my desktop, the 9879 build seems so much more "robust" and closer to finished than the latest 9926 build. (to me anyway) This leads me to believe that they've obviously rebuilt it from the ground up, and "re-seated" the core of the OS, while adding the new features along the way (Cortana etc), and still have much work to do to bring it up to where we felt it was closer to "consumer ready" by using it. In other words, I really feel like the 9926 build is in a lot of ways a little more premature than the 9879 build was. Be patient, and use that feedback app... we'll get there!

btw.. I don't think anyone else noticed in your video, but you've got one of the uber rare "prototype" Type cover keyboards for your Surface... I'm jealous! And I don't even have a Surface anymore lol
    It's not my video, just one I posted.
    02-13-2015 08:27 AM
    Great, as a desktop without touch I'm sure it's fine, that's not at all what this conversation is about.
    Yes you are right, Macbook is not a touch device. I have also installed on an Acer Tablet. Well, the expanded start screen does not come closer to the Windows 8/8.1 version.
    02-16-2015 12:34 AM
    They should provide the option to revert back to the imo much prettier 8.1 start screen, and for Windows 7 users who didn't like it just keep the normal one in win 10. I personally never liked the start menu, and the start screen is my favourite. Hope they include that option.

Yes, they should. I like the start screen way more on my non touch laptop.
    02-16-2015 01:00 AM
    Totally agree with your sentiments. Classic Microsoft for every 2 steps forward there's always a step back.
    The major complaint about Win 8 has always been about the lack of a start screen and its unintuitive UI when using a M+KB.

Win 8 with touch however was GREAT the way it was! All msoft had to do was reintroduce the desktop start menu the way they have now without screwing with tablet mode!

I know it's just a preview but I'm 99% certain they aren't gonna do a 180 and change vertical scrolling back to horizontal in the modern start menu. Taskbar in tablet mode is just downright ugly (tho I'm sure that'll change), tapping on the small "All Programs" font is annoying and nowhere near as smooth as swiping up. Swiping from the edges for charms and last used apps used be soo convenient for 1 handed operation.. both features now nowhere to be found. The desktop start now takes up a large portion to the left of the modern start screen even in tablet mode, scrolling through all apps is now a pain with all desktop and modern apps mixed together in one long vertical list.

I've always been a die hard msoft fanboy but damn they are sooo out of touch now. Same for Windows Phone 10 with its weird new Androidy/Metro design language. If major changes aren't made...which are unlikely seeing how win 10 launches in mere months... win 10 is going to be to tablets what Win 8 was to desktops.

On a more positive note... Win 10 is now great on desktops
    02-16-2015 01:56 AM
    Yes, they should. I like the start screen way more on my non touch laptop.
    Ikr! I'm using a 7 year old Acer laptop with a piddling 2 gigs of RAM, and a god knows how old processor, and every single animation on Win 8.1 is smooth and very pretty. I saw somewhere that they've changed the animations too, is this true?
    white_Shadoww likes this.
    02-16-2015 08:18 AM
    On a more positive note... Win 10 is now great on desktops
    Maybe, and just maybe with only keyboard mouse. And then I say because I can open programs extremely quickly with 8.1 without touch.
    Dhruvansh Soni likes this.
    02-16-2015 11:37 AM
44 12