Real world tablet in W10, just worthless...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's a tech preview. Probably more work being done on tablet mode.

Doesn't hurt to voice the concerns though, since that's the entire idea of a preview, and windows insider, where I post the same things.

Right now, it's a total disaster, both the desktop and tablet experience. There are good things, but it's so kludgy, it's not even close to ready for prime time.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Out of the gate:
"Now that the touch is refined"

It isn't.

"It's buggy"

Yes, it's a tech preview.

​"Cortana is the exact same as on WP"

​Yes, it likely is just the same thing.

​"I want to use 'Hey Cortana'"

​Beta.

​"I saw in the demo..."

​Things that are coming out in the next few months. It's like he wasn't listening.

​Seriously, a lot of his complaints are just bad or wrong. He complains about how desktop mode isn't meant for touch and how he wants to use touch mode with a keyboard. As if the first isn't obvious and the second isn't possible. It gives you an option to go to desktop mode, it doesn't force it. He even mentioned the animation of the start screen... and lack of it right now.

​He even seems to suggest that people use the registry hack to get the old start menu, which will lead to problems for people doing it.

​I'm not saying complaining is wrong, but your complaints should make sense.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Out of the gate:
"Now that the touch is refined"

It isn't.

"It's buggy"

Yes, it's a tech preview.

​"Cortana is the exact same as on WP"

​Yes, it likely is just the same thing.

​"I want to use 'Hey Cortana'"

​Beta.

​"I saw in the demo..."

​Things that are coming out in the next few months. It's like he wasn't listening.

​Seriously, a lot of his complaints are just bad or wrong. He complains about how desktop mode isn't meant for touch and how he wants to use touch mode with a keyboard. As if the first isn't obvious and the second isn't possible. It gives you an option to go to desktop mode, it doesn't force it. He even mentioned the animation of the start screen... and lack of it right now.

​He even seems to suggest that people use the registry hack to get the old start menu, which will lead to problems for people doing it.

​I'm not saying complaining is wrong, but your complaints should make sense.

The entire point of the video to me is that instead of making an OS that is pleasurable to use for both mouse/ keyboard and touch users, they are making an OS that is good for neither. In fact, I think they are heading down the path of ruining the entire surface experience, their own product.

Yes, yes, we know it's a technical preview, but the track record with Microsoft is that preview is pretty much what you get. If this is where they are heading, I'll stick with 8.1.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
They are destroying the experience. I realize it's a tech preview, but if they continue in this direction it will be a failure much larger than the fiasco that was tablet PC. https://www.youtube.com/embed/MpzTLZU8UTU

How did you get your startscreen so full screen and the tiles to go horizontal. Mine can only go vertical in the start/menu/screen in version 9926.

Odd that you can not change the size of your start screen. I presume its a surface pro, because it looks similar to mine. Have you tried resizing with the tablet toggle off? In the video I saw your toggle was on all the time.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Au Contraire, is the politest thing I can say. I loaded Win10 TP Enterprise on an HP ElitePad 900 in November (64 bit, single core, 1GB, 10" tablet) and more recently, Win10 TP on an HP Stream 7 (32-bit, quad-core, 1GB, 7" tablet). Sure, I like Tablet Mode in Win 8.1 better; I actually tend to use desktop mode on both. I've used the ElitePad on business trips, and use the Stream 7 on a daily basis. Under NO circumstances would I characterize this as either "just worthless" or as "a disaster". I use Win10 on a tablet every day; sure it has some glitches every day. I document those (System, version, issue, troubleshooting, etc.), submit it to MS and move on enjoying my tablets.

A Technical Preview is in effect, an Alpha or pre-Beta test, during which time a whoooole bunch of things are going to change on an ongoing, dynamic basis. If you choose to participate, please focus on constructive criticisms and feedback to help the end outcome be optimal. None of the feedback above was constructive or actionable from a development perspective, so there may be a case here to roll back to 8.1 and give it a few months for the 2 week old consumer TP to mature and then wade back in.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
How did you get your startscreen so full screen and the tiles to go horizontal. Mine can only go vertical in the start/menu/screen in version 9926.

Odd that you can not change the size of your start screen. I presume its a surface pro, because it looks similar to mine. Have you tried resizing with the tablet toggle off? In the video I saw your toggle was on all the time.

he got 2 files from the internet to achieve that

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The entire point of the video to me is that instead of making an OS that is pleasurable to use for both mouse/ keyboard and touch users, they are making an OS that is good for neither. In fact, I think they are heading down the path of ruining the entire surface experience, their own product.

Yes, yes, we know it's a technical preview, but the track record with Microsoft is that preview is pretty much what you get. If this is where they are heading, I'll stick with 8.1.

​Microsoft has been making huge changes because of User Feedback. This isn't the Windows team of old. Also, the Surface experience isn't ruined.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with many things. I like the start menu better in the first tech preview. And on my tablet, or full screen, the start screen should more or less be like the one on 8.1. Otherwise everything else seems to be improving.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
​Microsoft has been making huge changes because of User Feedback. This isn't the Windows team of old. Also, the Surface experience isn't ruined.

I never heard one complaint about windows 8.1 on a tablet, but they're changing that. Why is my question, it's silly to toss out the baby with the bathwater don't you think?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I never heard one complaint about windows 8.1 on a tablet, but they're changing that. Why is my question, it's silly to toss out the baby with the bathwater don't you think?

​If I were to guess, and this is merely a guess mind you, it's to try to have a less jarring experience. Look at Windows 10 as it is now. You have the start menu for desktops/laptops and start screen for touch. Now imagine if it was the old way. We'd have one style of menu for one and one for another. It's something we can get used to, but it isn't cohesive. And it certainly isn't something most people will want to deal with.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
​If I were to guess, and this is merely a guess mind you, it's to try to have a less jarring experience. Look at Windows 10 as it is now. You have the start menu for desktops/laptops and start screen for touch. Now imagine if it was the old way. We'd have one style of menu for one and one for another. It's something we can get used to, but it isn't cohesive. And it certainly isn't something most people will want to deal with.

I'd rather not lose what we have now.because some.people can't learn. Essentially that's what happened. 8.1 is an excellent OS, lets hope 10 turns out better than it appears right now.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather not lose what we have now.because some.people can't learn. Essentially that's what happened. 8.1 is an excellent OS, lets hope 10 turns out better than it appears right now.

​Windows is a mass market OS and needs to fit the needs of the majority. It isn't that they can't learn, it's that it doesn't work for them. The jarring experience is just something a majority can't deal with. Not once did I say in my post that people can't use Windows 8.1, just that they don't want to. It's essentially you saying 'everyone get used to what I want because I like it that way'.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
​Windows is a mass market OS and needs to fit the needs of the majority. It isn't that they can't learn, it's that it doesn't work for them. The jarring experience is just something a majority can't deal with. Not once did I say in my post that people can't use Windows 8.1, just that they don't want to. It's essentially you saying 'everyone get used to what I want because I like it that way'.

So what, I'm saying that I think they're ruining the experience, and you are saying you don't think so. And I don't believe it's a majority, it's the vocal minority causing the changes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb