So I am trying to restore my Windows 8.1 installation after installing the 10 TP on my SP3. I created a backup USB disk as recommended, but when I go to restore it says no valid Windows installation found. Do I have to delete the partitions of the internal SSD using Gparted (or similar), and then run the USB restore disk?

10 on my SP3 is really killing me. Won't wake up some times, runs EXTREMELY slowly, and is just buggy (as I expected of course being a preview). I love the direction they are taking, it just isn't ready to be on a SP3 daily driver.

​Thanks.
    02-10-2015 12:36 PM
    So I am trying to restore my Windows 8.1 installation after installing the 10 TP on my SP3. I created a backup USB disk as recommended, but when I go to restore it says no valid Windows installation found. Do I have to delete the partitions of the internal SSD using Gparted (or similar), and then run the USB restore disk?

10 on my SP3 is really killing me. Won't wake up some times, runs EXTREMELY slowly, and is just buggy (as I expected of course being a preview). I love the direction they are taking, it just isn't ready to be on a SP3 daily driver.

​Thanks.
    Can you tell me what folders are created in your USB recover disk and also in your C: what folders do you see?

I havent restored on 10 TP yet so I am not sure if this will work or not. If you restart your SP3 in the first few screens you have 2 options one is to boot with TP for Win10 and the other one is roll back. Select rollback and follow onscreen instructions. If you have a windows.old in your C: I think it should suffice.

About that USB back up... if you did a back up it would only be all the files and stuff that you have and not the actual recovery side of it.
    You get the recovery options using USB if you have created a Recovery disk or a Recovery Image on your USB. I used an external HDD and have both just incase. you will never know what will work and what wont.

Try the first option and see how you go.
    Cheers
    02-10-2015 01:15 PM
    When I created the USB disk, I created a full recovery, not just a backup of the drive and files.

In that USB drive I have these folders: Boot, EFI, Sources, and a hidden System Volume Information
    for files it has: bootmgr, bootmgr.efi and reagent.xml

In my C drive I do have a Windows.old, and haven't tried the roll back, but was told it wouldn't work (according to Microsoft documentation) since the preview changes the kernel version.
    02-10-2015 01:21 PM
    Anyone have any other guidance? Really need to restore back to 8.1 on my SP3.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    02-12-2015 06:51 PM