Vote for Live tiles on Desktop in W10

ininjam

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Vote here: https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...me-to-pin-interactive-live-tiles-on-the-deskt

A concept here (just to get an idea, it's not made by me): Windows 10 desktop Live Tiles by FourthEchelon19 on DeviantArt

Cannot put it better than one of the uservoice commenter: "All the Start screen ever was was a less useful desktop that windows could not float in front of." Honestly if there is one idea that's absolutely necessary for W10 for Microsoft it would be this one. Works with both touch and mouse. No shoehorning Live Tiles into the start menu, no tucking live tiles away in a corner that needs a click to see which defeats their "glanceable" purpose and concept. No crying for a Start screen anymore, since the desktop (kind of) becomes the start screen, maintaining both the touch-friendliest and preserving the advantage of a central operation hub (no jarring transitionings.) Better icons, more lively and prettier desktop . Perfect, really. It is so obvious, I just dearly hope Microsoft finally gets some common sense and implement it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Tiles are in the start menu now. Putting tiles on the desktop would just be messy but the more options, the better

Sent from my awesome Lumia 735

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
i don't like it either... i don't know... however an option shouldn't harm anybody it would be nice to have an email app pined to desktop, but than the start menu loses it's purpose

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If you go back to Active Desktop and widget days, most people don't want something constantly running on their desktop. It uses CPU unnecessarily. Also then you would need to use the little "hidden" taskbar location to show desktop rather than just hitting the Start key on your keyboard or mouse the start button.
Certainly not against it being an option, but I venture most people wouldn't care for it.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The thing I think frustrated the average user and was a huge mistake I windows 8 and 8.1 is the interface was great for touch oriented devices but not for your standard non-touch devices. It should have autoconfigured depending on if it was a touch screen or your typical mouse and keyboard setup. For those with your normal desktop setup ot was inneficient and not convenient. A normal desktop mode without having to scout forums and learn how to tweak it to fun too normally would have killed a lot of the negative feedback.

ininjam

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
If you go back to Active Desktop and widget days, most people don't want something constantly running on their desktop. It uses CPU unnecessarily. Also then you would need to use the little "hidden" taskbar location to show desktop rather than just hitting the Start key on your keyboard or mouse the start button.
Certainly not against it being an option, but I venture most people wouldn't care for it.

So how is it different from the current live tiles? Live tiles are still running constantly after all. And for the record, people LOVED the widgets in Windows 7. Microsoft removed them for "security reasons" if I remember correctly. Now that they are having Live tiles all over the place and moving to interactive ones,no reason they cannot be on the desktop.
About the whole apps covering it, isn't it even worse with the start screen since you'transitioning away from it and there's no way to peek unless you move to it (very jarring?) You can open windows on top of the desktop, the desktop will always be there under it all no matter what you do, makes it a perfect environment for Live tiles. I would even go further and say that the start menu should be replaced completely by the all apps menu, and desktop having live tiles (transparent would be great.)

ininjam

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
The thing I think frustrated the average user and was a huge mistake I windows 8 and 8.1 is the interface was great for touch oriented devices but not for your standard non-touch devices. It should have autoconfigured depending on if it was a touch screen or your typical mouse and keyboard setup. For those with your normal desktop setup ot was inneficient and not convenient. A normal desktop mode without having to scout forums and learn how to tweak it to fun too normally would have killed a lot of the negative feedback.

I think the thing frustrated the average user is how removed the Live tiles experience is from their normal work environment (desktop.) Another screen just to show the Live tiles (start screen,) annoying transitioning, apps open on yet another screen that's removed from the desktop and so on. Live tiles would be good for both touch and mouse, after all they are only bigger icons with more information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett