Hi all I am currently an apple user, however very interested in windows 10.

As a pastor I have a church laptop that has windows 7 on it. The problem I have is that I cannot use office on it any more, as soon as I click the icon it says feature Id not registered. So I was wondering, if I download 10 (already registered but have not pulled the trigger), can I then download windows office and use it? I'm sure I heard that like the iPad there will be a version that is free to use? I can use it fine on the iPad, however want to do some work on the laptop too.

I am fairly good with computers so the preview does not worry me too much, the laptop is a dell Inspiron.

Thanks for any advice.
    02-20-2015 05:00 AM
    Yes, there's a preview version if office which is free in the store for Windows 10 users. Although it is optimized for touch, you can use it with a mouse, too.

Some features don't work without an office 365 subscription, but most things do.
    02-20-2015 05:04 AM
    How stable is it now, I'm aware it's been getting updated loads. Once installed is it likely to require me to completely fresh install or is it beyond that point now?

Thanks.
    02-20-2015 05:15 AM
    Personally I've had fairly good luck with Windows 10. My Dell Venue 8 Pro had some hiccups like the wifi cutting out, but someone found a workaround. Otherwise, classic Windows apps have been running well, and Modern apps are a little buggy yet.

If you decide to take the plunge, I'd suggest making sure you can go back to Windows 7 again, just in case. But I like 10 so far, and don't currently have plans to go back on any of my devices.

Excited to see how it is on the phone!

How stable is it now, I'm aware it's been getting updated loads. Once installed is it likely to require me to completely fresh install or is it beyond that point now?

Thanks.
    02-20-2015 05:20 AM

Thanks.
    Stability wise, I have not experienced a single freeze or crash. The annoyances are all in the UI, things don't match up everywhere, but it worse on Tablets than on Desktops/Laptops. As the poster above me suggested, go for it, but make sure you can roll back if needed.
    02-20-2015 06:28 AM
    Which office features do you use regulary? If it is only for basic document editing, no big design elements, have you considered office online via your online outlook.com account/ Other options in windows 7 are the native wordpad program in accessories. For more advanced options have you tried openoffice? It works similarly to office, its free and you can save documents to office extensions (.doc etc.).
    02-20-2015 06:54 AM
    In your original posting, you mentioned that you have an iPad as well. Office for iPad is available for free download on the iPad. Before you try the upgrade on an older laptop, you might give the new versions of office a try on the iPad.
    02-20-2015 07:10 AM
    Which office features do you use regulary? If it is only for basic document editing, no big design elements, have you considered office online via your online outlook.com account/ Other options in windows 7 are the native wordpad program in accessories. For more advanced options have you tried openoffice? It works similarly to office, its free and you can save documents to office extensions (.doc etc.).
    Hi there, I downloaded libre office, don't like it much but it at least allows us to open word files for now (need to get PDFs fixed too!). But for me using one drive I want to edit on the iPad then on the laptop, putting files through converters is what I have been doing up to this point, using pages on iPad however the files others have been getting are messed up.

So I'm looking to reduce the formatting problems. Windows 7 just has so many issues for me just now, the office not opening, PDFs not opening, that it seems it may be the simpilest solution to upgrade and hope for the best.
    02-20-2015 07:12 AM
    Hi there, I downloaded libre office, don't like it much but it at least allows us to open word files for now (need to get PDFs fixed too!). But for me using one drive I want to edit on the iPad then on the laptop, putting files through converters is what I have been doing up to this point, using pages on iPad however the files others have been getting are messed up.

As of now the office preview are not working. It will probably be a very unpredicatble experience. I think it is better to hold off windows 10 untill RTM, stick now with windows 7 and try alternatives like wordpad, open office and fox pdf.

So I'm looking to reduce the formatting problems. Windows 7 just has so many issues for me just now, the office not opening, PDFs not opening, that it seems it may be the simpilest solution to upgrade and hope for the best.
    03-07-2015 12:11 PM