File size of preview builds

Ian Mancera

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm little bit too late to test and help Microsoft on their new Windows 10. I'm waiting for a time that they will release a decent tech preview that testers will enjoy. So when the build 9926 came out last January, I torrented the Windows 10 Tech Preview (since bittorent clients have download pasuing built in because my internet speed isn't that fast to download it one shot only) expecting that the torrent is build 9926.

So my question, is updating in Windows Update on PC Settings and latest ISO builds from Microsoft have the same file size. Because, there is no progress bar nor ETA on my build when downloading preview builds. And I can't even pause it (if it actually downloads) Is it more recommended that I should have download ISO builds rather than updating it from the Windows Update, or Windows Update preview builds is much smaller than downloading ISO builds because ISO builds is for new computers?

Please tell me, I want to try Cortana and other things

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I'd always download a full ISO and do a clean install from it.
​However, if bandwidth is a concern, it might be worth waiting a week or two - I have no knowledge of any release schedule, but it's been a while since 9926 and another build may well be due soon. Which I'll look forward to trying out - 9926's been a bumpy ride for me.

Ian Mancera

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
If you are updating from inside the windows update, the download size might be smaller.

How do you think so? There is no detailed infos about preview builds updates in build 9841, nor progress bar, download speed, ETA, pause option, download percentage just a normarl spinning circle. Please someone knew about tech preview builds technicalities, please explain the testing process of new builds, updates and others. I am so confused between updates for Tech Preview in Windows Update and Preview builds updates. I am new for this new kind of beta testing implemented in Windows 10 (since I was too late) by MS (I still like the Windows 8 beta testing process but with user feedbacks)

Ian Mancera

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
So preview builds are simply downloading new ISO builds to see the next OS update. Same as downloading an ISO build from the Windows Insider Program but directly right from the PC Settings. Instead of clean install from ISO, it's a upgrade from the previous build. Am I right? Does it wipe everything every preview build, or just a typical simple upgrade just like updating iOS or other mobile platforms? And also some users have option to have preview update fast or stable. Well in my build it appears that I don't have that option.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Whereas an ISO is an entire OS (when a new build comes it includes the updates also) !
Not necessarily. I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if, at this stage, doing an "update" downloaded the whole ISO.
​An ISO is just a file container (in a format defined by the International Standards Organiz(s)ation"). This one contains the full OS and will likely contain an update utility (same as buying a Win8 DVD now).
​Any of the upgrades tell you what data will be wiped/not wiped. But if all your actual data is in the cloud and you're only installing this preview on a test machine, there's nothing to worry about.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
doing an "update" downloaded the whole ISO

I never said that.

I am not here to prove anyone wrong or say that I'm right

From what I know I'm saying

Example:

You have OS 'A' (build number 1000) on your system.
so 'A' gets an update 'B'( a few hundred MB).
this update can be done from inside the OS 'A'.

'A' OS seems to have a new ISO available on its website (with a new build number 1100).
This new ISO contains the whole OS 'A' along with the update 'B' integrated inside ISO. (this is a separate ISO).

So you get 2 options.

Either update from inside OS 'A' (the update will be only a few hundred MB).

Or you can have the full ISO (new build number, basically OS 'A' + update 'B') for a fresh install.

An update alone is never released in an ISO (which can be installed over the existing OS).

An ISO always contains the full OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos