I Want To Download Over Metered Connection

roystreet

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,
I see people asking for help to stop downloads (Especially Windows Updates) over their metered connections, but my dilemma is all I have is my hotspot from my phone. My computer isn't portable, so I wont be carrying it with me anywhere. So, how do I set it so that it will download over "metered" connections? Or how do I "fool it" into thinking I'm not on a metered connection & just a regular wifi?

thanks!

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
For me in my case with the apps when I hit update I get a message that it will be when wifi is connected. but when I tap and restart it kinda forces it to download via the 3G. About the windows update I am not sure how it is done as it is a big one. I am guessing the best way to work around that big update is LSRT.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Skamath, he's talking about a desktop computer needing to download, not his phone. The Lumia Software Recovery Tool will not help in either situation. Also, I have been on this forum for 6 months now, and this is the first time I've seen it abbreviated LSRT. If you just mention LSRT, the only valid abbreviation is the Louisiana Society of Radiological Technicians, so please spell it out the first time you use it to avoid confusion.

roystreet, I picked up an inexpensive portable Bridge in order to do the work for me, as I needed the same thing at one point in time. The bridge accesses the phone Internet Sharing like your computer would, then you plug in an Ethernet cable between the bridge and PC, and you no longer have a metered connection. The computer sees a wired Broadband connection. Problem solved.

I'll edit this post, or post again when I've located a link for what I bought, so that you can shop and compare. I bought mine for $18.99 on Amazon.

EDIT: I bought the TP-Link TL-WR702N model. That is a starting point to help you see what you need, and you can search for the best deal/brand that you want. Not sure if spending more money is an option, but this did solve my issue.

I was able to plug this into the WAN port of a cheap, $12 Wi-Fi router, and now my wife and I can both have unmetered access to my phone's hotspot by connecting to the router instead of my phone. Using that method, I just turn on my Internet Sharing when I return home, and it automatically connects. That way, the Internet Sharing is always there whenever I try to use my laptop. The laptop automatically connects to the router when turned on, so unless I've left the house, I don't ever have to re-enable Internet Sharing. Plus, it gives me access to the Wireless Printer we have connected to the router, so I don't have to disconnect from the internet to connect to the printer. Nice way to set up a home network when you live 10 miles past the point of any wired internet provider's service. LTE is strong here, but that or Satellite were our only choices, so LTE is what we have.

roystreet

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey rhapdog, thanks for your help. I didn't even think of using that..I just happen to have one of those at home. I'll try it when I get home, I'm looking forward to it working!

roystreet

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey rhapdog,
I just wanted to let you know that I tried what you said & it worked perfectly!! I wanted to give you kudos for helping solve my problems. I did have to stop the update service (With some other things) & then reset it. Because it just kept hanging at 0% download. Now it works!

Thanks Again! :smile:

Last edited:

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, I have been on this forum for 6 months now, and this is the first time I've seen it abbreviated LSRT

Really!! I have not been here that long and I have seen it a lot in some other post with WPRT (Windows Phone Recovery Tool)

So if I understand you. You connect the phone to TP- link which is connected to the computer and the computer use the internet sharing from the phone without being charge if you go over of what is allowed to use from your phone ( e.g.: 2GB)????????????????

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Really!! I have not been here that long and I have seen it a lot in some other post with WPRT (Windows Phone Recovery Tool)

So if I understand you. You connect the phone to TP- link which is connected to the computer and the computer use the internet sharing from the phone without being charge if you go over of what is allowed to use from your phone ( e.g.: 2GB)????????????????

To clarify, you are still limited by your data plan, and if you go over, you will pay. My TP-Link router is getting ALL Internet from my phone, as I have no wired broadband. When I access TP-Link, it is really accessing my phone's data plan. If you have a low amount of data to use, then I don't recommend doing this. It is best if you have a limited plan, or a really high GB plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs