Decided to roll back the tech preview on my SP3 as it is wreaking havoc with the Wifi (with dongle and without)

I didn't create any recovery media beforehand, mostly because i'm an *****, and partially because I thought I already had but it turned out to be an old folder with my Surface RT recovery.

I have created the Recovery media from the Windows official help pages but during the install it asks for the product key, which I guess I don't have. I have used a .vbs file and also a recovery program to grab the key from the UEFI firmware however this isn't accepted in the install.

Is the issue with the version of the recovery program? Why doesn't the product key from the actual product work?

Any help greatly appreciated as right now my SP3 is slightly unusable (which I knew might happen going in to the preview obvs, just looking for a potential solution!)

Thanks
    03-03-2015 03:03 PM
    When I restored my SP3, I didnt have to enter the product key. Because when I was downloading the recovery image, I had to sign into my account and select the SP3 from my devices (registered with Microsoft) and then it gave me a link to download. So I am guessing it was either a custom recovery image (which I doubt) or the product key was already verified and the installation didnt require it.
    Decided to roll back the tech preview on my SP3 as it is wreaking havoc with the Wifi (with dongle and without)

I didn't create any recovery media beforehand, mostly because i'm an *****, and partially because I thought I already had but it turned out to be an old folder with my Surface RT recovery.

I have created the Recovery media from the Windows official help pages but during the install it asks for the product key, which I guess I don't have. I have used a .vbs file and also a recovery program to grab the key from the UEFI firmware however this isn't accepted in the install.

Is the issue with the version of the recovery program? Why doesn't the product key from the actual product work?

Any help greatly appreciated as right now my SP3 is slightly unusable (which I knew might happen going in to the preview obvs, just looking for a potential solution!)

Thanks
    03-03-2015 03:19 PM