Application/Program Compatibility on Windows 10 (9926)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I've run into about 6-7 simple programs that don't run under windows 10 (9926).... From a Simple, Killdisk for Windows to remote control programming software Pronto Edit. They all run under Windows 7 and 8/8.1 64 bit with no problems. On Windows 10, they don't do anything, running as an admin or even clicking on the start menu they do nothing, one of them even opens, shows the title page and never passes that point.

I am seeing this more and more with Non Windows 8 applications that I use.

Is this going to be addressed in a the next build as if I keep running into issues like this, I am going to have to not use/test Windows 10 any more because I need these little programs.

Is anyone else seeing this issue too ? (did I miss a thread anywhere ?)

Thanks !!!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
An app like Killdisk probably shouldn't work on this version of the OS. It doesn't know Windows 10 to assume how to manage what it does on that OS. But what else isn't working? So far I have not had a problem with much but I haven't tried too much beyond Photoshop.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
It is the responsibility of an application developer to maintain compatibility with Windows updates really. You should be addressing this with them and not here.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It is the responsibility of an application developer to maintain compatibility with Windows updates really. You should be addressing this with them and not here.

Really ? So, an application that runs on Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1 does not run on Windows 10 (A PRE-RELEASE OS) is something I should be contacting the developer on ? For a Beta OS ? For real ?

This is a Windows 10 issue, as every Windows OS runs past Windows based applications. Crap, I can run Windows 95 apps on Windows 7 32bit with no problems (tried for the heck of it, have not tried on 8), this is one of the big things about Windows and it's clearly a problem with Windows 10 at this stage.

Is anyone else running into Windows programs that are having issues or is it just me ? I am a systems admin, so I use a lot of tools from VMware Vspeare to drive utilities to network tools. Everything has run fine on Windows before and about 85% of them have an issue or require a hack of some type to get them running.

Killdisk, is a little program to do drive wipes, it cleans a disk to so data on it can not be recovered (I have a few drives I plan on re-selling, so I need to wipe them). It's a simple program. these kinds of tools should run under Windows 10..

Maybe its just me but, if this is a end case with RTM, then I CANT use Windows 10 and I am sure all your corporate customers will have problems too.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Really ? So, an application that runs on Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1 does not run on Windows 10 (A PRE-RELEASE OS) is something I should be contacting the developer on ? For a Beta OS ? For real ?

This is a Windows 10 issue, as every Windows OS runs past Windows based applications. Crap, I can run Windows 95 apps on Windows 7 32bit with no problems (tried for the heck of it, have not tried on 8), this is one of the big things about Windows and it's clearly a problem with Windows 10 at this stage.

Is anyone else running into Windows programs that are having issues or is it just me ? I am a systems admin, so I use a lot of tools from VMware Vspeare to drive utilities to network tools. Everything has run fine on Windows before and about 85% of them have an issue or require a hack of some type to get them running.

Killdisk, is a little program to do drive wipes, it cleans a disk to so data on it can not be recovered (I have a few drives I plan on re-selling, so I need to wipe them). It's a simple program. these kinds of tools should run under Windows 10..

Maybe its just me but, if this is a end case with RTM, then I CANT use Windows 10 and I am sure all your corporate customers will have problems too.

if it is not running now maybe it will be later...Don't forget Win 10 is not finish yet..

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
For sure, yes. It may be they are unaware of this, it may also be a minor tweak to get it working. Frankly unless the app is doing some weird stuff I do not see why it should not work so it's likely the latter and even while this is a technical preview preview a fix may be easy/available.

Its certainly more productive as the best possible outcome of posting here would be you get a 'me too' or 'works for me' type post.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, On the newest build 100041, Things are better, about 1/2 of the odd ball apps I use seem to work, some still a problem but, over all it's a major improvement over the last build.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Maybe, yes. Do you remember MS warning us that they would be changing the kernel version to 10, which can negatively affect some poorly implemented applications?

The apps you mentioned could be examples of that... just one way this could be application rather than an OS issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium