Build 10041: We haz been trolled?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My initial experience on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10, build 10041 are as follows:

Gabe and co. got tired of hearing us gripe about wanting a new build, so he said "give it to them, good and hard."

- Install ran in background for so long I kept checking task manager to see what was going on.
- Finally, it decided to reboot and did its installing thing.
- Once I saw the lock screen, I was excited. Until I swiped it up and found I couldn't tap, touch, or otherwise do anything to the password field.
- The lock screen would randomly pop up again. Or it would be on my domain's "legal notice" with a font so big that the OK button was off the screen.
- Finally, I found that by using the enter button on the keyboard cover, not the screen, I could actually log on some of the time.
- Then, I had to resolve the issue with the mail/calendar/people app.
- I discovered that if I go to "all apps" on the start menu, I can scroll down until it gets to "H" and then it crashes to the desktop. Now I've got to figure out how in the world to launch anything not already pinned, that starts with a letter higher than "G".
- So far, this build makes 9926, before the first required update, look stable and polished.
- I will play with it some today and then likely test out the "restore to previous build" recovery option.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you have some issues there, none of which affects my SP3 when I upgraded from the previous build. If your situation applied to many other people, then we'd soon be hearing about it.

I'm not sure you can paint this issue on Gabe/Microsoft if you have an issue with your device and install.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
All of those are known issues and were informed by Microsoft.
I didn't find anything in the known issues about the start menu only scrolling partway then crashing, nor about domain legal text being so big there's no button to dismiss it.
Looks like you have some issues there, none of which affects my SP3 when I upgraded from the previous build. If your situation applied to many other people, then we'd soon be hearing about it.

I'm not sure you can paint this issue on Gabe/Microsoft if you have an issue with your device and install.
I'm not really blaming them, just trying to inject some humor into the situation. I can see him sitting there, saying, "those guys over at WC won't shut up about wanting a new build. Let's give them THIS one. Bwa-ha-ha!"

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I was expecting to install this version of the technical preview, but it seems that it's better for me to wait a little more.

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Out of three computers I've installed it on, my suface is the only one it went smooth on. The second, an HP probook, got to the login screen and there's no username or password box (known issue), but there's also nothing else (so the workarounds in the known issue aren't possible to follow). The third computer was a desktop. Same issue as the HP. Completely blank screen at login, outside of the network and accessibility button.

Have to agree with the OP. This build sure feels like a troll. :D

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Since this was on the Fast Ring, is anyone in a position to 'complain'? a more stable technical build will be pushed out to the Slow Ring with less niggles but similarly none of the early advanced features (which is after all, the whole point of the Fast ring).

fwiw, I'm running it on an SP3, and only have a couple of minor glitches at the moment, but nothing that I wouldn't recognise as 'development' work.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Dude, at least you can actually USE Windows Update. Ehem:

100002d1426723112t-upate-problem.png

This is all I see everytime I go into update & recovery ever since I installed build 9926. What concerns me even more? It's installed on a MICROSOFT Surface Pro 3. If it won't even play nice with their own hardware in March and they're shooting for a Summer release they could be in some real trouble.

Vinoth94

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Once you download 100% This error may arise After getting error Just click retry Windows start installing Build 100041

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I was expecting to install this version of the technical preview, but it seems that it's better for me to wait a little more.

As long as you have the TP on non production hardware or, even better, in a VM then you shouldn't have a problem.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It installed suprisingly smooth on my Dell XPS 12 Duo. Other than the mail, people calendar issue the only problem I've come across is that I can't scroll past 'N' in my app list it just crashes my start menu. I just need to figure out how to remove the annoying transparency for the start menu.

​Edit: Scratch that, now it scrolls past 'N' since my last reboot.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
An update on my original situation.

I rolled back to 9926. Unfortunately, there were too many insurmountable issues to deal with and I ended up again upgrading to 10041, this time from an ISO built from the ESD using the esd decryptor tool.

As long as I remembered to use the keyboard at the lock screen, everything else was working fine. Until last night.

Yesterday, updates for build 10041 were issued to Windows Update. Since WU on my machine has not been working, I downloaded the three msu's and installed them manually, rebooting after the last one. Upon reboot, it decided to bluescreen and launch auto recovery. I tried lots of stuff but ultimately had to go find a saved copy of the BitLocker key for the SP3's internal C drive and put that in, then run a Windows Refresh. So now it boots again, my files and most of my settings are still intact but I need to reinstall all the "legacy" programs (i.e. Win32/Win64 desktop applications such as Office). Seems the Start Menu won't open either. I may end up wiping this machine and start over.

I have done the same on two other test machines running 10041, neither of which have BitLocker enabled, so it may be something specific to that; or I should have rebooted after installing each of the three patches instead of trying to save a bit of time.

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
An update on my original situation.

I rolled back to 9926. Unfortunately, there were too many insurmountable issues to deal with and I ended up again upgrading to 10041, this time from an ISO built from the ESD using the esd decryptor tool.

As long as I remembered to use the keyboard at the lock screen, everything else was working fine. Until last night.

Yesterday, updates for build 10041 were issued to Windows Update. Since WU on my machine has not been working, I downloaded the three msu's and installed them manually, rebooting after the last one. Upon reboot, it decided to bluescreen and launch auto recovery. I tried lots of stuff but ultimately had to go find a saved copy of the BitLocker key for the SP3's internal C drive and put that in, then run a Windows Refresh. So now it boots again, my files and most of my settings are still intact but I need to reinstall all the "legacy" programs (i.e. Win32/Win64 desktop applications such as Office). Seems the Start Menu won't open either. I may end up wiping this machine and start over.

I have done the same on two other test machines running 10041, neither of which have BitLocker enabled, so it may be something specific to that; or I should have rebooted after installing each of the three patches instead of trying to save a bit of time.

I couldn't get the install form the esd to work either after several tries, but the official one MS released worked on the first try. You might want to try it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital