So, observing quite a few issues with 10041

Ambious

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded through Windows Update, and so far:
  • "Exporer.exe" crashed, then crashed when I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to powercycle
  • Some store apps became unavailable, and when I try to install from store they error out
  • Beta store suddenly "Not available in your region"
  • The whole Settings app is Right-To-Left despite my language being English! (it goes back when I change my regional time settings, but why are those even related to language?!)
  • Right click with pen is dodgy at best
  • Wifi module crashed when I tried connecting to my Uni. network, twice.
  • Open programs crash. A lot.
  • Opening any setting window not from the main screen (like "Wifi" etc.) opens smack in the middle instead of at the top
And that's all just the NEW bugs.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Why on earth did you opt into the fast ring if you didn't want as many problems?

Sorry, but this is your own fault lol

Edit: Ok, you changed the title now. All if forgiven :p

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm besides it taking almost an hour to install, I have had none of the issues above in my trial last night for about 2 hours while doing stuff.

In fact it seems faster and more stable than the last build. Also Windows programs run on this one that the last build would not even open.

Ambious

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not COMPLAINING, I'm sharing and observing.
Also, the point wasn't that I didn't expect problems, but that I didn't expect regression in things that were working fine before.
Yes, I know that's how things work - again, I'm just making an observation.
The stuff that DOES work DOES indeed seem faster and more responsive, and yes the Windows programs seem to load much faster.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why on earth did you opt into the fast ring if you didn't want as many problems?

Sorry, but this is your own fault lol

To his credit though, that's not normal operation, even for the Preview.

Yes, you signed up for early builds in exchange for stability, some privacy, etc. But something is wrong with his install.
If it were me I'd try the sfc /scannow command to see if there's corruption.
Perhaps simplest, a clean install could help.

No those are not bugs that reflect this build as a whole, my computer has its quirks while another computer with the same OS doesn't. It doesn't "suck," its the reality of unfinished, nowhere-near-imperfect code that simply resulted in you getting the short end of the stick.

Ambious

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'll try that, thanks for the tip.
Does anyone know how the whole "Refresh your PC" thing work after you upgrade the build? Will it just reinstall the old build and 'upgrade', or is it a way to get a clean install of the new build?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
​Go to the setting and to restore to a previous version. That'll take you back to 9xxx. However you'll lose your start menu I assume like many others.
Indeed. So how do I get the start menu working again, now that I'm back at 9926? Typing out the name of everything I want to launch in the Cortana box is gonna get old real quick.

It forgot a lot of other stuff too like my user profile picture and wireless passwords.

Edit: found a fix, launch PowerShell in admin mode, paste this there and push enter:
Code:
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
wait a minute then it should be working again. (credit to http://www.rbrussell.com/2015/01/30...na-search-action-center-metro-apps-wont-work/)

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, more than the bugs, what sucks is the direction they're taking this (on tablets). The new start screen? Terrible (and that's not including the bug where it crashes if I try to scroll past F in 'all apps'. The tablet input panel (for handwriting recognition)? New in this build, it's completely downgraded from what already was a huge downgrade in Windows 8. Snapping? Completely downgraded. If you switch between apps, then you lose your snapped window. The always visible taskbar on tablets? Just poor design, akin to the days of Windows XP Tablet Edition, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 tablets.

And if they're launching this summer, they're running out of time. It's been nearly two months since the last preview and the only tablet mode improvement is that we can turn off the notifications for it.

I get that they needed to improve the experience for desktop users, but the pendulum is swinging way too far in that direction even on tablets.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Agree completely, for desktop it's great but on an SP3 the Start Screen is terrible, I know its a preview but the direction of travel is wrong in tablets.

The taskbar should not be present on the Start Screen, way to look stupid and clumsy!
But my biggest gripe is the jump list on the left hand side of the Start Screen, talk about design awkwardness, its in the way, takes up vital screen real estate and is completely illegible as the background is transparent. Please remove the list or better still make its presence optional.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
View attachment 100049

This is just simply the worst thing anyone has released into the public. It's so ugly & nasty. Just going to the start menu makes me want to vomit.

The transparency thing is at least a known issue. But I think the whole left bar is terrible design for tablets, and the tiles feel cluttered and unorganized as they're on slightly less of a grid than they used to be. I've got many other complaints, but yeah, it feels like instead of things improving for tablets with every build that each one instead just frustrates me more and more.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I hope everyone who is complaining in here is also doing so in the Windows Feedback app as they all sound like they would be improvements if implemented.

I'm finding this build to be much more stable than the last one and feels like it's working much more as intended.

Ambious

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I get that. I was referring to his title "So, Build 10041 sucks".

Would you have been bothered less by "Build 10041 sucks compared to 9926"?

I hope everyone who is complaining in here is also doing so in the Windows Feedback app as they all sound like they would be improvements if implemented.

Definitely, I'm not in this just to get early software, I'm doing my part to improve it as much as possible.

I'm finding this build to be much more stable than the last one and feels like it's working much more as intended.

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with specific setups. There are so many variables, you'd never know what causes one system to misbehave and the other not to.
The consensus seems to be that it is indeed more stable and robust, albeit being ugly.
Since it keeps crashing and misbehaving for me, I have to assume the problem is local to me.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Already provided feedback and will continue to do so, I really like a lot of W10, its just the bloody Start Screen is a joke compared to the beauty and elegance of 8.1

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
OK, I just upgraded a virtual machine from 9926 to 10041, and am seeing none of the aforementioned issues from my SP3, except for the mail/people/calendar thing and weird Windows Update behavior because my network is on WSUS. I'll use that one to generate feedback since it was useless trying to do anything on the SP3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre