Another release, another bad experience on tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Every one complains about it and its not even done. I hope they fix or change a lot of tablet features but I appreciate being able to be part of that build process. I will keep my complaints for the final version.

Uhh would it be better to complain AFTER they are done and have no chance to fix these issues? The preview is for complaints and bug fixes. THIS is the time to complain not after it goes final.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It is already clear that MS feel they went too far, too fast with Win8. We all know, even MS knows, that a more flexible OS with a real touch interface is a destination MS must reach. They just want to keep the legacy crowd in tow. They may have been too early with Win8 but since (and in no small part because of) the Win8 release the landscape has changed. It is too late to release a legacy OS alone, now. That's why I fully expect that before Win8's support cycle is up an upgrade path for modern interface users will become apparent. Let's call that Win11 (could be 12 of course, or Win Greek). Win10 is like WinME (in concept, let's hope not in execution). It's to give legacy SKU users a soft landing. No-one seriously considered 'upgrading' to ME from Win2K. It was for 98se users who weren't ready for 2K yet.

I will move when MS releases the next modern OS. I doubt they will wait too long to do that, they couldn't afford to. I expect it's already pretty well developed behind a curtain somewhere in the catacombs of MS Towers.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I will move when MS releases the next modern OS. I doubt they will wait too long to do that, they couldn't afford to. I expect it's already pretty well developed behind a curtain somewhere in the catacombs of MS Towers.

The indication from MS is that Windows 10 is a platform that will be around for quite a while and be upgraded over time through Windows Update a lot more aggressively and completely than previous versions. I.e. You get the feel that this is just 'Windows' and there might not be another distinct version for a long time.

Might as well get in now while the upgrade is free.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The indication from MS is that Windows 10 is a platform that will be around for quite a while and be upgraded over time through Windows Update a lot more aggressively and completely than previous versions. I.e. You get the feel that this is just 'Windows' and there might not be another distinct version for a long time.

Might as well get in now while the upgrade is free.

Why when it will be a huge downgrade for tablets? I'd rather use Win and switch to Win 10 when they get the touch mode worked out even if it means paying for Win 10

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Here is Joe Belifore stating the taskbar is intended in tablet mode,

Guys Win 10 is launching in a few months, we have a pretty clear direction for what they intend Win 10 to be for tablets and that is pretty much going to act like Win 7 on a tablet which was a horrible experience and a huge downgrade from Win 8 on tablets. Now is not the time to be lax and think they are going to fix everything. If we wait for release it will be to late for major changes.

Full start screen is gone, Charms are gone, Taskbar is mandatory, alot of swipe commands are missing. This is not getting fixed in a few short months and appears to be how MS intends it to work.

joebelfiore ‏@joebelfiore

@benstoic yep, we intend taskbar to be present in tablet mode. Thats quick access to start menu (4 pcs w no HW button), + Cortana, taskview

By "in a few months", you mean almost half of a year from now. There is tons of time to tweak the UI. Just look at how much they've got done so far.

"full start screen is gone"

No, its not. That's a lie.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP and other comments about tablet productivity being completely wrecked so far with Win 10. I always jump on early, beta releases, to include Windows 8. And keep them until they go RTM. I put Windows 10 on my SP3, and by the next day I was back to 8.1. The gestures are shot, no charms bar (probably one of the best and most useful things ever added to any OS). IE without metro is painful to use for touch. And Spartan seems like it may be better for touch, but it won't be specifically built for it. Like another comment said, they changed everything just to stop the whiners about being confused on going from a full screen start menu to the desktop they were familiar with. Hit the damn windows key on your keyboard or click the windows icon in bottom left and just stay there. No more confusion.... geez. Was it really worth the total 360 being done for all the tablet friendly elements?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Was it really worth the total 360 being done for all the tablet friendly elements?
Pretty sure you mean a total 180 there, but anyway.. I agree with what you are saying. We're right back at worse than WIN7 right now. I started the hashtag #werebackwithXP on twitter ;)

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
What are you two talking about? I've got a full start screen right now on my tablet. Are you referring to getting rid of the title bar?

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I also have concerns about tablet mode or lack of it, even going to the Windows Feedback app shows most of peoples complaints are in regards to Desktop. There isn't even a specific Tablet category to provide feedback in and very few complaints about it anywhere else to show MS that there is a need for change.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What are you two talking about? I've got a full start screen right now on my tablet. Are you referring to getting rid of the title bar?

It's not full screen with the taskbar stuck at the bottom or the desktop centered app list on the side. The current start menu is centered around desktop users and even maximized is not full screen and does not function on tablets as well as the full metro start screen of Win 8.1. Also scrolling up/down is not nearly as efficient as the left/right scrolling of Win 8.1

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

Having the startmenu go full screen by default when you select tablet mode is in no way the same as the start screen in WIN8.x

Have you even ever user WIN8.x?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Having the startmenu go full screen by default when you select tablet mode is in no way the same as the start screen in WIN8.x

Have you even ever user WIN8.x?

Yes, I've got it on every one of my devices including my desktop, Surface, and small tablet. I frankly don't see what you're complaining about as it seems pretty much the same to me.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's not full screen with the taskbar stuck at the bottom or the desktop centered app list on the side. The current start menu is centered around desktop users and even maximized is not full screen and does not function on tablets as well as the full metro start screen of Win 8.1. Also scrolling up/down is not nearly as efficient as the left/right scrolling of Win 8.1

So because the taskbar is there, it doesn't count? That's an odd way to justify when its made for tablets. Either way, the tablet mode makes the taskbar work great. Just because they're not gigantic squares doesn't mean they're hard to touch.

I'm also not seeing how one way of scrolling is more or less efficient. I actually find up/down with the app list to the side to be more way more efficient than Windows 8.X.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
OK.. I know ur trolling now.. Nevermind man..

No, I seriously don't get what the complaining is about. Is it because its different? To me, Windows 10 already makes a lot more sense for tablets. One of the thing I appreciate is when I'm in tablet mode, Modern apps and desktop apps are treated almost equally. When I swipe from the side to get the current app list, I'm able to easily close desktop apps with just a tap as opposed to going to the desktop and having to hit the tiny X in the corner.

If you have anything constructive to say, besides "trolling" (which is against the site rules by the way (; ) then I'd be glad to hear why you think Windows 10 is bad on tablets. Really, the only thing I'm missing is a touch centric browser and I'd be good to go.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure you mean a total 180 there, but anyway.. I agree with what you are saying. We're right back at worse than WIN7 right now. I started the hashtag #werebackwithXP on twitter ;)

Yeah, 180.....wasn't thinking. It'll be a 360 in two years when they realize they had a good tablet mode in Windows 8.1 and start reimplementing all the elements from it in Windows 12. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise