Windows sockets registry entries missing

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, as of some more updates (I assume this morning), I have random website failures.
the initial message says that some protocols are missing.
I click 'fix it' and it changes to cannot fix, "windows sockets registry entries are missing".

I found this (actually quite old) article about the very same issue:
windows socket registry entries missing according to diagnostics and - Microsoft Community
But none of the proposed fixes worked for me :(

This was a completely fresh install on a brand spanking new SP3 yesterday, so there won't be any legacy contamination from previous installs or daily use.

Anyone have any ideas?

(I'm on build 10041)

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
First off, why would you install Windows 10 on a completely new PC?!
Next, try a refresh
First off:
WP_20150319_21_28_06_Pro.jpg

Secondly, don't want to resort to a refresh at this stage, I've found the issue limited to a small number of websites, and infact I now think is linked to a https site.... so I'll investigate the link with site certificates.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
ok, interesting.... I can reach the sites if I use tunnelbear, but not straight from windows.
I've checked the firewall & av settings and they are exactly the same (without exception) as the win8.1 set up.

So I'm back to seeing whats missing (in the registry I guess) in win 10.... will dig a bit deeper!

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
yeah, but 1 keyboard :|

Sorted my issue though!
I have an issue (which I have used the feedback tool to report), whereby I couldn't right click properties on the network adapter, it gives a "An unexpected error has occurred".
And I found someone with the same issue on the feedback.

Anyway, basically for anyone else with the same issue, I just used the netsh to manually change my DNS servers using interface ip set dns "WiFi" static 8.8.8.8
Where "WiFi" is the adapter name.

It hasn't solved the right click error, which appears to be a genuine bug.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss