in the last build I was able to set a registry key that gave me back the old windows 8 start screen

with the latest build that does not seem to work anymore

does anyone know if they are going to let you use that in the final build - tbh the 'full-screen' start menu looks like one hot mess - it's not as fluid as the 8.1 one

does anyone know how to re-enable the start screen on the latest build?

920Walker likes this.
    03-19-2015 05:16 PM
    Probably dead which is a shame for tablets. I use lots of live tiles that don't work nearly as well in the start menu.
    03-19-2015 05:19 PM
    As you say, it looks like the registry "hack" has been disabled - and in fact the enable/disable tickbox has been completely removed from the properties box... though now there is an odd space where it used to be :D

I would suspect that given most of the noise around win8 was to do with that start screen, I suspect there won't be a method to get it back, and the latest build is just a closer incarnation to that aim.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will either create the reverse equivalent to "start8", or find some other method.
    03-19-2015 05:37 PM

Unless they do, then i'm not installing windows 10 onto either of my tablets - sorry Microsoft..
    920Walker likes this.
    03-19-2015 06:01 PM
    W10 on tablets is such a step backward. The tiny task bar really doesn't fit in, nor is it necessary. (You can auto-hide it but it randomly pops up all the time.)

I really hope they improve the Start "screen" experience. Currently it's terrible. Even the tiles have a different look and feel to them, much less refined and incredibly ugly.
    loribinca likes this.
    03-20-2015 06:44 AM