Will You Be Upgrading To Windows 10 During Its Free For A Year Phase?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
What news?

That you can upgrade for free from Windows 7 or 8.1 for the first year is hardly news as we have known this for months now. And when ready there really is no reason for a desktop user to not upgrade. What will happen for touch devices will depend on whether Microsoft get their act together before release.

So yes. what news?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Even thinking about resurrecting some old kit to put dodgy Windows on and then have them "legitimised".

Upgrading a not genuine copy of WIN7 or 8.1 will not get you a fully licensed copy of WIN10, that would be something. You can update yes, but the limitations that you have with a non genuine copy of the previous version will remain.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Upgrading a not genuine copy of WIN7 or 8.1 will not get you a fully licensed copy of WIN10, that would be something. You can update yes, but the limitations that you have with a non genuine copy of the previous version will remain.
Cool. I was misinformed then. But if the retail/oem price sticks around the AUD100 mark, it's no biggy - I just buy licences as I need them anyway.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
What I am more excited about is for an Office 365 like subscription model for windows, which would include office, windows and maybe Xbox features.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
The trouble with it really is that your out in the cold once your year expires,sure Microsoft's profits will boom with all who re subscribe,but Id bet a lot will turn to pirated versions,unless Microsoft can prevent it.Ill probably try it for the year, then roll back to 8.1 if w10s not worth it

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes and no.....My primary desktop, tablet, Yea, I do like Windows 10 better so far. My Home Theater PC, maybe....All depends on Windows Media Center, if it's available in 10 and If it's any better (bug fixes or just the same version that was in windows 8)..

Comparing Windows Media Center on 7 and 8, 8 stripped away features and gave less compatibility on hardware (extenders). If it's any better, no question I will...

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is hoping as many people will upgrade to prevent another situation where XP stayed long after it should. It's especially important for as many people to get 10 for their One Windows vision to work.

On my end, I'm planning to upgrade.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans