Build 10074 on main computer

TheMiseryOfMe

May 29, 2014
Visit site
So I've been following the progress of the TP for a while and did have the older builds running on my old acer before the computer itself gave up. I've been reading some of the feedback so far on this new build and it looks good, of those people who are running how many of you would recommend installing it on your main computer?
I am running win7 home premium and normally use it everyday for school work with office, a lot of browsing, photography work with CS6, and some occasional gaming.
Thanks in advance for any help.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So I've been following the progress of the TP for a while and did have the older builds running on my old acer before the computer itself gave up. I've been reading some of the feedback so far on this new build and it looks good, of those people who are running how many of you would recommend installing it on your main computer?
I am running win7 home premium and normally use it everyday for school work with office, a lot of browsing, photography work with CS6, and some occasional gaming.
Thanks in advance for any help.
This is just me, but. . .

I'm running the TP on my main machine -- dual-booting Win7 Pro, and installed on a separate drive. If it were me I would not install on my main machine as my primary OS on a single drive -- but that's just me.

It's a Technical Preview - it's not even beta. I've see too many people posting here reaming MS a new one because their PC/Tablet/Phone is hosed, and who conveniently overlooked or forgot all the admonitions about the dangers of installing an OS Technical Preview.

That said -- I've had CS6 installed on the first "version" -- worked fine. Just an FYI. . .

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Go into in knowing you could have problems and expect to lose data or functionality. If you are prepared for that possibility go ahead! :)

I used CS6 in an older build but had to do a refresh because of a borked install of 10061. A refresh removed all user installed legacy style applications.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
make sure you can afford to have that computer occupied for hours, whether it's the upgrade, reset, reverting to 7...

Also make sure you have a backup in case the worst happens.

Larry Amato

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
After 2 previous attempts to install Win 10 preview..I finally downloaded the iso file to my laptap and transfered it to my Lenovo E530 laptap running Win 7.1 64 bit pro via usb flash drive.It took a while for the iso and update due to slow dsl..Patience was the key to the process..!!
Finally ..I have Build 10074 on my Lenovo..
There was only one issue at startup..Dolby Audio Driver did not install.I deleted the startup in msconfig.
So far so good with no issues and it looks good...
Larry

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 Technical Preview 10074 looks like a stable build and is working with minimum to no issues on my macbook.

Why do I test on the macbook?
Because the bootcamp drivers are for Windows 7 and I just want to test if everything works perfectly even if I install on a macbook.

Until now no issues.

Having said that, Windows 10 Technical Preview is a pre release software and it might work well on one device but might not work well on another device (due to the hardware, settings on the device etc). If you decide to install pre release software, always set up your device as a new machine.

Hope all these helps you to make the decision.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd say be careful about the phone's current TP but the PC version is good.

I'll probably roll my phone back this weekend. I've tested it out enough and can't take it anymore.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
As was stated before, as long as you're willing to put up with downtime should something go wrong and potentially lose files I'd say go ahead.
It's been a pretty good experience for me so far, though with 10074 I decided to wipe clean and start fresh as the Store (beta) along with some other things weren't quite working right. I assume this was caused by starting from 8.1 going through some other TP versions, and just ended up where I was at. Backed everything up and used the iso to install, and the computer was back up and running in about a half hour.
A word of warning though, it only installs the bare minimums from the iso, everything else comes from being connected to internet so could take a little while longer to be perfectly usable.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there seems to be a period of a couple hours after the iso where it takes things to settle down. Though I didn't experience that so much on 10074

RicoFrost

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I have been running this on my main computer and for me this has been meh unstable for me, build 99XX cant remember then full number was stable for me. I mostly get bluescreens on boot now with 10074, every day from cold boot, doesn't blue screen when using it normally. I did have or problems with disk errors looks like it didnt like my raid, removed raid however still get that blue screen every cold boot.

Going to try another fresh install again today and see if that helps. It must be a driver somewhere.

tofnow

May 29, 2013
Visit site
If I had only a single HD or SSD on the machine and had room for another 30GB partition and could download EasyBCD first, then yes I'd do it. But only under those conditions. Another safe approach is (if you have HD space is to make a 30GB Virtual HD using Win 7 and, again setup dual booting with EasyBCD), install Win10 from a Win10.ISO to the VHD. Next build that comes out, rinse and repeat. This is what I did early on and it works good enough to get the feel and learn problems and see new feature effects.

Just my thoughts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos